Isaac
Years ago

Knicks fire coach Derek Fisher

Thibs keen?

Source close to Tom Thibodeau: "The #Knicks are the job he's always wanted. He would crawl to Madison Square Garden."

Rumours of a Lakers clean-out too making way for Phil Jackson?!
Stephen A Smith on SiriusXM: "I'm hearing Jim Buss is out. And Mitch Kupchak will likely follow. Jeanie is going to clean house. If (Jeanie Buss) does that, you know she's gonna bring Phil back. And I think Dolan will let him out of his deal to go to LA."

Topic #38955 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

Thibs was on Bill Simmons' podcast last week and came across as very knowledgeable. He said he was looking for a position for next year that would allow him 5-6 years of stability to mould/build a team. It seemed like an open interview putting his name in the mix for a coaching position, and I don't doubt the Knicks would be a front runner. The Knicks would tick most of the boxes he mentioned.

Reply #576773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knicks looked to be building in the right direction with anther God draft and maybe a melo trade for new youth/assets they could be heading in the right direction to look at 2017/2018 free agency for a big name to join KP/new draftee and a sold core....

Reply #576774 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I think Thibs would be good for NY, giving Porzingis a great defensive coach would be sweet.
He would need some good offensive assistant coaches to help him out, as I think that was Thibs weakness at the Bulls.

But going to NY and expecting 5-6 years of stability is a major pipedream.

Reply #576775 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Finally my Knicks pull the trigger and sack Fisher.

Who becomes the Head Coach will be interesting.
Thibs is 1st choice for many.
Mark Jackson and Ewing are names thrown up and past Knicks players. However they don't always make good Coaches.

Wait and see what happens along with other team moves.

Reply #576784 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Phil to take the coaching position. Pretty please baby jesus

Reply #576790 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

@The_Champ33, I've heard Diamon Simpson will be taking the head coach position...

Reply #576797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stan van gundy to knicks

Reply #576803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAS has no cred anymore. He makes up fake rummors

Reply #576806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson was hated by everyone in the front office at GSW so he'd be a bad choice and not sure Ewing is the guy cause he used to play!

The X player beibg a great coach/Gm is shown to fall over more often than not.

If they wanted to think outside the box what about Shaka Smart (try a Boston style appt in Stevens) grow together but back the HC long term!

That said its the Knicks so Dolan could do anything crazy but if I'm Thibs I'd wait for a better option...think Spurs if they win/lose and everyone retires

Reply #576815 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Ewing to finish the season could be good. He has plenty of coaching experience at least, and would command a great deal of respect

Reply #576822 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Kings about to fire George Karl as well...joining the race for Thibs signature?

Reply #576828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kerr is under the axe too

Reply #576832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cousins, rondo & Thibs a match made in heaven!

Reply #576833 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Luke Walton anyone?

Reply #576859 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Woj has a great write-up explaining the problems - Fisher screwed up in pre-season then can't appease Jackson. Jackson can't let anyone coach in a way that doesn't mesh with his methods.

Sounds like trouble for a while yet.

Now a few solid coaches out there in Thibs and Blatt. Not sure if Sacramento's problem is Karl or Cousins/Gay.

Reply #576861 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

"Cousins, rondo & Thibs a match made in heaven!"

Thibs was the defensive coach with the Celtics when they won the title, so Rondo wouldn't have any issues with him.

Reply #576872 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

Phil jackson will want someone who knows the triangle. Plain and simple. Look for an ex player or assistant of his. Brian Shaw or Walton. Interim coach Rambis will be a possibility. Shaw was his first choice so i say him on 2017.
I cant see Thibs and him co exist. Thibs wants control a la Pop or Atlanta coach Bud.

Reply #576873 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

^ Exactly. It's almost pointless to sack a coach under Jackson IMO. The Triangle will stay as long as Phil is there. Thibs has no shot at NY until Phil leaves.

Reply #576874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil wants a coach he has a relationship with. Apparently he and thibs aren't close
Rondo himself has said he won't work in the triangle

Reply #576883 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

SAC apparently going to keep Karl now...

Reply #576888 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

The Kings are a joke, the owner seems to think he knows how to run a team and keeps getting involved in the basketball side of things.
Silver needs to have a chat with him about letting his GM do his job.

The constant chaos is destroying any chance they have of being a decent team with their current roster.

When they do fire the coach, probably this weekend, if they are keeping the current roster intact they need to hire a coach that is good at keeping the players happy.
Because it is pretty clear the players are running the team.
Adding Rondo was a big mistake, the guy is crazy and Cousins was already a loose cannon so adding another one just made it impossible for Karl.

Reply #576890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Karl is a very good coach with experience whom is what the kings need as he can hopefully read/control the situation with the egos but he needs the Owner to just stay the hell out of bball operations and get his GM to give him full support moving forward!

Karl is respected around the league and has shown he can coach to fit his players strengths long term. If they let Cousins/gay/rondo dictate how's it's going to run they will be a disasters!
It not like any of the players except cousins are top 10 guys in the league and cousins hasn't be around long enough to start dictating caches/trades!

Reply #576893 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:53 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754