Anonymous
Years ago

Should United rest players against NZ?

With top spot sewn up do United rest players and follow Perths lead and not take a full squad to NZ?

Topic #38961 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I never think its a good idea to rest players unless theres injuries that have to be taken care of, i think as a team you continue to do whats got you there.

Reply #577061 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depends on who they want to face in the SFs. If it's not NZ, then they should try to go 2-0 and eliminate them.

Reply #577063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they dont care who they play? Maybe they think with 2 @ home they can beat anyone. It will be interesting to see what happens. If they do, it has ramifications for Adelaide and their chances.

Reply #577064 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

United are in good form now, its not always wise to tinker with a teams form going into the finals by resting players. If these 2 teams square off in the semi's theres also a psychological gain for the team that wins these next 2 games.

Reply #577073 | Report this post

Wildcats rested their starters (minutes-wise, they still played) in the last or second last game of the season in 2014 and got beaten, but then smashed them in the GF, so I don't think there was any psychological barriers when you don't actually try and win.

Reply #577075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think they will rest players tomorrow night but I think you could definitely see some players rested or minutes restricted on Sunday. It will be a shame with the sell out on Sunday if they play the b-team.

Reply #577076 | Report this post

^^ *against the Sixers

Reply #577077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe if they don't mind playing NZ in semis.

Then it would be five games in a row vs. NZ.

The advantage of resting is you aren't playing your cards in the last two regular season games whereas NZ would be and show exactly how they go about winning.

Reply #577078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guarantee Melbourne will want to win to make a statement. Perth apparently did it as they had genuine injuries although I don't trust that at all. More likely they don't want anyone scouting on them. Done it before and will continue to do so.

Reply #577094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't be a god look either if the NBL owners team were not #hardball. Looking forward to seeing next season schedule to see the favouritism towards the big 4 !

Reply #577095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the Tigers!!!

Reply #577120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Looking forward to seeing next season schedule to see the favouritism towards the big 4 !"

What the? Pretty sure each team plays the other four times, two at home one away. #headscratcher

Reply #577132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

two home two away

Reply #577133 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I hear ya Anon, it reminds me of a story I heard many moons ago regarding a guy at my school. People called him Dick, which caused him all sorts of consternation because his name was Richard and he could never understand why the other kids never called him by his proper name.

That guy was really cool, really cool.

Reply #577144 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Go job Ads, put it in the right threat!!!

Fail!

Reply #577150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cool story bro

Reply #577153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear some didnt travel....

Reply #577156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

like who? Adel are really screwed

Reply #577158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding

Reply #577159 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

"Wouldn't be a god look either if the NBL owners team were not #hardball. Looking forward to seeing next season schedule to see the favouritism towards the big 4 !"

The NBL owner plays hardball and he wont care how it looks to us because he owns it, lock, stock and $$$$!!

"god look" thats one way of putting it.

Who did Sydney play last night. Was that a charity fundraiser? Who was it for? Did they hit their target?

Only way sixers will get in is if they can win both games because if Perth and United are smart they will not want to face Adelaide with a fully fit line up. NZ are much more vulnerable!

Reply #577182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. The easiest way to lockdown Randle is to lock him out of the playoffs. #operationlockdown

Not long ago Sixers thought they were a #lock

Reply #577184 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's an interesting strategic dilemma.
Part of it depends on who they want to play in the SF, and who they think they WILL play. To get Adelaide in, they need to beat NZ twice, and have Perth tank against Adelaide. That's 3 things that need to go right, so I think they will anticipate playing NZ.
In some ways the last thing you want to do is give it 100% and still lose, but I think they should want to retain confidence in their guys.
If it were me, I would play for the win. That way even if NZ make the finals, you go into that series with confidence.
There is a big difference between Perth tanking against Sydney, a team they will never face again and a team everyone knows they could beat easily if they tried, and Melbourne going soft against NZ.

Reply #577194 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think this might be the first time ever South Australians will be barracking for a Victorian team to win

Reply #577206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #577159 - you only got 1/3rd of the equation right but still nice tip

Reply #577296 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754