Anonymous
Years ago

betting scandal?

"@rattlerspeak: Can you reveal the high profile coach accused of betting on their team to lose? Surely you know!"

"‏@boti_nagy: I'm not keen to get sued mate"

"‏@boti_nagy: Let police do their work"

Topic #38965 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

totally unrelated question but I wonder what odds the sydney kings were before people knew perths starters were staying home

Reply #577228 | Report this post

I think it was announced they were resting players before the odds came out. I first checked early Tuesday and the Kings were $2.15.

Reply #577229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Known fact players punt!!

Reply #577232 | Report this post

What were the Kings odds for their game in Perth last week? $10 at one stage...

Reply #577238 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sydney were $2.75 at one point for their home game.

This was *after* Perth had announced The 4 players that would be missing.

Eventually they dropped to $1.78 or $1.80- which were still very juicy odds.

Reply #577239 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A very tempting multi is NZ and Adelaide tonight on the head to head- with TAB it's $5.73.

Incentives- Adelaide and NZ have a LOT to play for. Big game players like Ebi Ere, Randle, Cedric Jackson will be ready to go.

Meanwhile, Illawarra has an incentive to lose. Melbourne may want to avoid NZ in the semi’s but probably doesn’t care all that much either way.

Perfect Storm IMO.

Reply #577240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who says it's an NBL coach?

Reply #577250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no one has said it's an NBL coach. no one has said it is even a basketball coach.

Reply #577251 | Report this post

OP

Reply #577252 | Report this post

I don't know why I mentioned the Kings odds last week. It doesn't fit any of the narrative.

Reply #577255 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Boti also hinted at this on his blog.

"*Is everyone aware it's not legal to place bets on games your team might be playing in?"

Doesn't mention it being a coach though.

Reply #577258 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In the AFL, players, coaches and staff aren't permitted to bet on any game. In fact, players, coaches and staff of VFL affiliates aren't allowed to bet on AFL games.

Reply #577259 | Report this post

Families as well? Wasn't there some issue in recent years about an AFL player's brother having a bet?

I don't know that the NBL has the same sort of integrity policies in place. It took them years to get a social media policy, and even then it was rarely enforced.

Reply #577262 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I haven't heard the rumour Boti's referencing, but I'd guess that if someone implied coach when it was a player or staff, he'd hint at or correct them?

Reply #577270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This has been going on for years. Finally looks like something will be done about it. Although when topics of this sort have been put up in the past most of you fobbed it off.

Reply #577281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball Australia has responded to SEN Breakfast's Grapevine segment this morning during which David Schwarz revealed allegations of inappropriate betting by a high-ranking coach.
(Mod: Link no longer active.)

Reply #577337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball Australia needs to be 100% certain before they go hammering away at the people alleged to be involved with this. If it carries any weight at all, there could well be serious ramifications.

Reply #577345 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

The AFL is this season going to try and ban accredited media from betting on games.

Reply #577348 | Report this post

will be interested to see if anything comes of this, there's been two VERY fishy games in the WNBL this season in terms of market moves pre-game.

Reply #577430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

which ones

Reply #577432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering who it is being investigated, this could turn into one very large story, should the allegations be proven. A lot of people in basketball circles are well aware of who it is. And I'm sure Isaac would make the point, but given the identity of this person, I'd caution everyone to be extremely careful with anything that's said here or anywhere on social media.

Reply #577535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets hope this didn't occur in Victoria where there is a 10 year maximum imprisonment penalty if found guilty.

Reply #577550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could it be in bigv where Sportsbet had a book on scm last year?

Reply #577551 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sports bet had a book on Big V!??!

Reply #577554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 577345.... I see how you did that....Not sure others read through the cryptic message

Reply #577565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ very good

Reply #577571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No reason to be careful, it could be alleged that someone did..... It's an allegation only

Reply #577603 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

IN all seriousness every single team has had atleast one game this NBL season where they looked absolutely pitiful... Perth up in Cairns and Townsville making United look 3rd rate... Just to make a few

Reply #577617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who said it was NBL there is the WNBL as well.

Reply #577623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trying to get into contact with a few of my sources. Once I do I'll try to hammer out the details on what went down.

Reply #577678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol. Subtle much #577678?

I'll be cheering if the person alleged to be involved with this gets what's coming to him. Couldn't happen to a more deserving individual.

Reply #577700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No need to be careful if true

Reply #577702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #577700 I don't know anything but awaiting my source.

Reply #577704 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Would be a surprise, but not a shock if these allegations are true I guess. More likely to occur at lower levels if betting is allowed, including point spread, etc. At least this might bring it to light and the healing process can begin.

Reply #577847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This been an issue for a while....puzzling results in NBL & wnbl this year including interestin reffing at times as well....think NBA circa 90's

Few players/coaches & staff at clubs will be worried about this!!

Reply #577883 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Have to say I am disappointed with the weak response by BA to this issue, which evidently had to spill out via an overflow of rumours before anything was even mentioned about it officially.
Really not a good time for basketball's integrity to become questionable with the sport otherwise seeing a general upswing, so I hope this is dealt with quickly and firmly.

Reply #577886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a BA supporter by any means, but not sure what they can do other then hand matter over to the police to be investigated.

Reply #577890 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Have to say I am disappointed with the weak response by BA to this issue, which evidently had to spill out via an overflow of rumours before anything was even mentioned about it officially.
That doesn't mean nothing was being done, though, and there's no reason to go public with it unless you have to.

Reply #577893 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I get the impression that they were slow to respond, and then the little they've said hasn't really sent much of a message either.

"Basketball Australia has been made aware of media reports of alleged inappropriate betting on basketball games."
... gives the impression that they only found out due to the media. Is that actually the case though? Surely not.

Then,
"We are currently looking into the matter."
"No further comment will be made at this time."
... is all well and good, but I would have hoped they would use the opportunity of a media statement to take a strong stance at the same time.

Reply #577894 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

> there's no reason to go public with it unless you have to.

No there's not. Maybe it's just me, but I just think it looks worse this way, and would prefer a proactive approach rather than hoping that somehow no one will find out about it.
Betting is pretty topical in general at the moment, in many sports, and I don't see the harm in having a false alarm in the scenario where the person being looked at ends up being cleared of wrongdoing.

Reply #577898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not policed like AFL despite smaller pools and mostly online betting making the money and links to officials easier to track!

We aren't talking big money cause the betting pools are too small but it's all bout integrity!!

Then again let's not worry to much about eveness...who has 7 of there first 9 @ home or get a home game finish investigated but nothing found.....mmmm

A few people know the smart money and get the information required to ensure they bet correctly.

Reply #577900 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No there's not. Maybe it's just me, but I just think it looks worse this way, and would prefer a proactive approach rather than hoping that somehow no one will find out about it.
I'm not saying sweep the whole thing under the rug, but there's no sense going public at the 'allegations have been made' stage.

Do the investigation, if everyone comes out clean make an announcement. If it starts to look serious, make an announcement.

In saying that, I have no idea who knows what or what's alleged to have happened or how many have alleged it or when, so it's possible things were past that point.

... gives the impression that they only found out due to the media. Is that actually the case though? Surely not.
That just says they're aware that media reports exist. ie "We're now aware this is public, and therefore feel the need to say something." It's quite possible things were going on privately long before the statement was made.

Reply #577920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't believe the online books who spread WNBL and more surprisingly SEABL. I mean that's just asking for trouble.

Reply #577929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems the sports betting agencies think those leagues are more professional than they really are!

Reply #577935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. Ignorance is bliss. Many that spread it aren't even Aussie bookies. boggles the mind

Reply #577938 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure spread betting has been available for big v in the past? Can't remember who it was through..

Reply #578024 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Sports betting is the worst thing that has ever happened to professional sports.

Reply #578037 | Report this post

"Sports betting is the worst thing that has ever happened to professional sports."

That, and Larry Davidson's haircut.

Reply #578046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sports betting is the worst thing that has ever happened to professional sports."

That and Cedric Jackson arriving at the airport in a wheel chair a few years ago then getting a triple double later that night. Never forget.

Reply #578048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That, and Trigger's man bun.

Reply #578054 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That, and Perth kidnapping referees.

Reply #578055 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

lol

That, and the Perth announcer who insists on screaming "Woooooooooooo" at a billion decibels. Meatheads!

Reply #578069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sports betting is the best thing that has ever happened to professional sports."

FYP.

Reply #578112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't matter whether you win or lose... unless you've got money on the game because damn that's your money son!

Reply #578115 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed.)

Reply #582567 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

totally unrelated question but I wonder what odds the sydney kings were before people knew perths starters were staying home
game was a dead rubber, anybody who put money on Perth was an idiot, plus they did announce their resting players relatively early.

And to be honest, its not completely unrelated, if you ask "how many Perth backers put money on the Kings, and when?"

Reply #582577 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754