Isaac
Years ago

United go to NZ without Goulding, Kickert, Warrick

Not great news for 36ers fans.

I guess Melbourne figure that saving key players from a game and two international flights trumps trying to fix a favoured semi-final opponent.

Topic #38971 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

$5k on Breakers points -4.5 @ 1.90

Reply #577280 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Seems dodgy but I guess the NBL don't have any rules about resting players when the game can influence ladder positions.

Reply #577285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

enjoy the money people :D

Reply #577286 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Seems dodgy but I guess the NBL don't have any rules about resting players when the game can influence ladder positions.
Why should they?

This round is turning out to be a real disappointment.

Reply #577287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boring round but good for the punters to get back at the bookies who have been extremely naive about this round. sucked in books.

Reply #577288 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

The same reason the AFL starting cracking down on teams resting half their team when the opponent was still in the finals race.

Reply #577289 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Which is what?

And how?

Reply #577290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the way the AFL is run is the bible for all other sporting leagues to follow... umm no.

Reply #577291 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

NZ now out to -10.5 points...still worth it.

Reply #577293 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I officially curse United! May they win the game, finish top, then bomb out miserably in finals

Reply #577298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

too late Jack the voodoo hoodoo is on the sixers #randle

Reply #577303 | Report this post

"The same reason the AFL starting cracking down on teams resting half their team when the opponent was still in the finals race."

The AFL doesn't do this for any valid reason either.

Reply #577307 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Sixers were probably going to have to win both games anyway, although this certainly doesn't help.

Their fate is in their own hands, win both games and the other results don't matter.

Reply #577311 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I have no issue with it if the teams own position is secure.

Eg. What Freo have done in AFL and what United are doing.

I am uncomfortable with what North Kangaroos did, and what Perth Cats have done.

But not sure how to police it.

Reply #577314 | Report this post

North and Perth have every right to rest players as much as Freo and United have.

Reply #577315 | Report this post

What's the difference between Perth and United resting players ? baffling post.

If Adelaide were good enough they would already have a finals spot sewn up.

Reply #577317 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

If we can't beat United B then there is something wrong. Ugly game. United B will struggle to score.

Reply #577318 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Adelaide's destiny remains in its own hands, so it's all moot really.

Reply #577321 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth deliberately let themselves finish 2nd when they could have stayed in the race for first. Where as Uniteds position cannot change, regardless of tonight's result.

The same thing differentiated what North Melbourne did against Richmond vs What Freo did against Adelaide.

Reply #577322 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ shooting the lights out and dominating United. Ced Jackson playing like the MVP we saw in his previous 3x NBL seasons and Webster knocking down his shots as is Abercrombie.

Reply #577323 | Report this post

"Perth deliberately let themselves finish 2nd when they could have stayed in the race for first."

Perth had a legitimate reason to rest those players due to minor injury concerns. They decided that a healthy second-placed team going in to the playoffs was better than risking losing a starter in the battle for first.

Reply #577324 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Any chance Illawarra have decided to rest Ogilvy, Lisch and Martin tonight? That would be a nice flip :-)

Reply #577326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Insider trading now legal ! All it says to me is United are chicken shit manipulating result so they don't face Adelaide. Next season be prepared for persistent booing of all Melbourne players. Make it hell for them Adelaide they have no integrity.. If Adelaide doesn't get through then kick their arse on Sunday NZ and Hawks take the championship and kick the owners and their cap breaking teams to the ground... They asked for hard ball now give it to them...

Reply #577327 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Not sure you blame the players...
In any event, Melb had probably just played NZ into really good form so it might backfire anyway if the Breakers get through

Reply #577328 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think it will backfire big time.

Melb will be down on intensity come the semis.

Reply #577331 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Melb are giving the Breakers a game style which no one wants them to have..its dangerous..this game where they can just ball out more loosely and up tempo. Wouldn't be surprised to see their rhythm on point come the semis.

Reply #577332 | Report this post

Don't almost all NBA teams in playoff contention rest players once they have qualified and their spots are safe? Do they come out lacking intensity?

Granted, there is less time to turn it around in a three game series than a seven game series if things go sour but this whole "it will come back to bite them" is a complete myth.

Reply #577333 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Agree with snooch. NZ are working their way into becoming one of the form teams now. It could backfire on Melbourne even when they return to full strength.

Sunday's sold out rematch will say a lot. Im sure Melbourne will come to play in front of a big crowd.

Reply #577334 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Your rationalisation is completely reasonable, Chalmers.

But it's equally reasonable to say that Perth deliberately jeapordised their chances of finishing higher on the ladder by not playing players who were perfectly healthy enough to play. They tanked.

There are always legitimate reasons why teams could rest players. But it's up to the NBL to decide whether this kind of tanking is in the best interests of the league, and whether anything should be done about it, like the AFL did this year

Reply #577335 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Not sure if you're responding to me Chalmers but I'm saying Melb resting players has allowed NZ to play itself into form - which is how it could backfire for them.

I don't disagree with resting players, but when you do it against the team that you could potentially face - and they then go and blow you out (as is happening here) you run the risk of giving them confidence etc..

Reply #577336 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No problems with teams resting players before finals, but it should be announced as per the Wildcats.

From 2018 there is likely to be a week between the regular season and the playoffs while world cup qualifiers are played, so that may reduce the need for this to some degree (for players not in Boomers or Tall Blacks).

Reply #577339 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

And with that, the door closes again.
Close games we didnt win cost us incl losing series in an almost unbeatable position.
All history now and finals, are kaput.

Feel sorry for Randle and his hard work.
But we will finish 5th.

Could be worse like predicted near bottom

Reply #577340 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Look it's s all our own fault, we blew that nz game and now we are paying for it.

Reply #577341 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Wow.
Is Perth hatred some type of by-product of dementia?
Or is the hatred just so intense that it causes brain damage?

Perth rested players and handed a win to the team that will win the spoon. They have affected nothing.

MU did the same and handed a win to a team fighting for 4th spot. Very different.

One can only hope that Karma gets her bitch on, and NZ trounce MU in the semis...

Puts a bit more focus on tonight's game between Ilawarra and Adelaide.

Reply #577342 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Im looking at it this way, we found Randle and if we manage to keep him for next few years, even while losing Gibson, then that's something to look forward to

Reply #577343 | Report this post

snooch, I was responding to MACDUB saying that Melbourne will be lacking intensity.

It may find some much needed form for the Breakers but I think the examples where rest has been a hinderance are few and far between compared to the benefits the rest provides.

LV, I really don't think the AFL should be the benchmark of how to handle resting players, considering the farcical nature in which they handled Freo resting players in 2013.

Reply #577344 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What did the AFL do?

Reply #577346 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Not one member of the United starting 5 in double digits for scoring....Kyle Adnam the highest scorer. I'm thinking this scoresheet is getting framed and going straight to Kyle's pool room

Reply #577347 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

kobe I think the AFL is, from this season on, having a one-week break before the finals start.

Reply #577349 | Report this post

In 2013, the AFL granted Freo's eventual finals opponent (Geelong) a home game in their own stadium, rather than one of the two much-larger capacity stadiums in Melbourne. It was farcical and immature.

I don't know what they did last season but North Melbourne rested key players in their final game, possibly with the secondary result of losing to get a more favourable matchup, and advanced all the way to the preliminary final, the first time a team that finished 8th made it that far.

Reply #577350 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Has it been confirmed that the Melb players being rested tonight don't have niggling injuries, like the Perth players?

Reply #577351 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW I don't think this really changes things for Adelaide, there were always likely to have to win both to make playoffs once they let the NZ series slip.

Reply #577352 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

In 2013, the AFL granted Freo's eventual finals opponent (Geelong) a home game in their own stadium, rather than one of the two much-larger capacity stadiums in Melbourne. It was farcical and immature.
Home teams getting games in their own stadium is farcical now?

The AFL is weird.

Reply #577353 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@LV - Perth resting players has no disadvantage to any other team in the league but themselves. United resting players has a direct influence on teams vying for 3rd and 4th sport. Utterly ridiculous comment.

Reply #577354 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What happens if Illawarra win, and Adelaide beat Perth (and NZ lose on Sunday, obviously)? Is it different if Adelaide win tonight and lose Sunday?

Reply #577355 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Illawarra win tonight the four is sealed.

Reply #577356 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

United resting players doesn't have a direct influence on anything though - if Adelaide wins both games it makes through. Illawarra can't miss out.

I don't see why the hate towards Utd.

Reply #577357 | Report this post

Koberulz, when it's the first time in over 100 years that Geelong had hosted a final at their home stadium, then yes, it is farcical to decide they'll suddenly host a second one at the much smaller venue.

Reply #577358 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The only issue is the fact it wasn't announced I would say, I suspect the NBL will be hearing from some betting agencies.

Reply #577359 | Report this post

The ladbrokes player of the game is no one.

Reply #577360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It changes lots for those that took the good odds on the United before the announcement

Reply #577361 | Report this post

Unlucky. That's gambling.

Reply #577362 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Easiest $4,500 ive ever made.

Reply #577363 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Well I don't know why Utd has a responsibility to let gamblers know what its team is. Suck it up.

Reply #577364 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Frustrating for those playing NBL dream team too lol

Reply #577365 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Koberulz, when it's the first time in over 100 years that Geelong had hosted a final at their home stadium, then yes, it is farcical"

The difference being, of course, the redevelopment of the stadium had been completed that year, increasing the capacity by around 20% and modernising the venue. I don't think the decision was farcical, and I doubt it will be the last final played at Kardinia Park.

Reply #577366 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth tanked to finish second, when they could've kept playing for top spot.

Melbourne tanked a game that had no bearing on their position.

Reply #577368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Adelaide win both and New Zealand win both, New Zealand gets in as it has the split between the 2 teams. Same if they both win 1 or lose 1. Adelaide have to win 2nite to keep it interesting, they lose and they're out.

Reply #577371 | Report this post

Bullshit paul, the decision was made completely out of spite by Demetriou. He did it to punish Fremantle.

Reply #577372 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Adelaide and NZ win both then Adelaide finish 3rd, Illawarra 4th and NZ 5th after the three-way tie-breaker. If Adelaide lose tonight they're done.

Reply #577373 | Report this post

LV, why should Perth risk losing a starter for the playoffs just because they were a mathematical chance at top spot?

Reply #577374 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In other words Perth deliberately ensured they would finish *lower* on the ladder.

Melbourne's actions had no impact on their position.

That's the difference. Same difference between what Freo did and what North Melbourne did.

One is kocher and one isn't IMO. But I'm wary of draconion measures that could have overly big or unintended consequences

Reply #577376 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

United tanked a game that will affect positions 3-5. What's the difference to Perth resting players and affecting their position?

Reply #577377 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Bullshit paul"

So the redevelopment of the stadium hadn't been completed that year, increasing the capacity by around 20% and modernising the venue?

Reply #577378 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"In other words Perth deliberately ensured they would finish *lower* on the ladder."

They did nothing of the sort. They chose to rest players who needed rest, which isn't against the rules.

Reply #577379 | Report this post

The bullshit is pretending the redeveloped stadium is the reason that the game was played there.

Reply #577382 | Report this post

Why didn't Adelaide win more games to guarantee a finals spot ?

Reply #577385 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, of course not, that was because someone had a vendetta against someone else, anyone who doesn't believe that is just plain silly.

Reply #577386 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The only way that Perth could change their finishing position, is if They won both final games, and MU lost BOTH their games to NZ. At the time that certainly seemed unlikely. Realistically their game was a complete dead-rubber, no effect on anyone.

MU's throwing the game has a MAJOR impact on 4th spot.

As for the Perth players, Prather has had trouble with his Hammy going back weeks.
Jawai & Beal were clearly in trouble against Sydney. Jawai couldn't run, and Beal couldn't shoot.

Reply #577429 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm enjoying reading supporters of each team claim their team's resting of players is OK but the other team's is completely different!

Reply #577431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I literally LOLed after reading your summary of this fine thread paul :D

Reply #577433 | Report this post

paul, Perth tanking allowed Melbourne to tank so really Perth tanking affected more than just their game so Perth is the worst.

Reply #577440 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth?? More like Floppth

Reply #577442 | Report this post

Tank Marvin.

Reply #577443 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

So Dazz how do you know Melbourne's players don't have similar niggles???

Reply #577444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth is latin for flop.

Reply #577445 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

@Paul I'm consistent. I had a rant against North Melbourne in September and I've stuck to my guns. Nothing to do with United.

As for Chalmers whinging about skilled stadium. All I can say is lol.

Reply #577464 | Report this post

Ooh, sick burn!

Reply #577470 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"paul, Perth tanking allowed Melbourne to tank so really Perth tanking affected more than just their game so Perth is the worst."

Haha! I thought Adelaide's tank was the worst.

Reply #577472 | Report this post

It was an unintentional tank...

Reply #577473 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It doesn't matter if it's intentional, it's who takes offence to it.

Reply #577477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah all the people that think Perth is great.

Reply #577478 | Report this post

???

Reply #577490 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

well that's it settled then, top 4 is set.
Interesting to see what MU pull out for their 2nd game...
Wouldn't want to give NZ TOO much confidence ahead of their SF.

Reply #577494 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd say it will be the other way around. Melbourne will put on a show in front of their home crowd, while NZ leave a couple in Auckland and rotate the minutes amongst the rest.

Reply #577495 | Report this post

So now New Zealand are tanking? I can't wait to hear what LV thinks about that!

Reply #577496 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think you can criticise many teams, it's obvious Sydney's tanking has led to a number of others doing it.

Reply #577498 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I fully expect NZ to leave 2 or 3 players behind.

No issue there as the game is meaningless to where theyll finish up.

Shame, since the game sold out weeks ago. I'll be there Sunday but can't make the Semi on Thursday. Oh well what can you do?

Reply #577503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a joke the LKG new NBL has become. I hope they are watching and stop this crap next season. All the good that has been achieved so far is now a joke.

Reply #577505 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, players being rested before playoffs has never happened in any other sporting league ever.

Reply #577507 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think Vickerman will take everyone bar Webster who is awaiting the birth of his first child. He'll put his main guys on a minutes restriction and see how they go.

Reply #577517 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol, epic thread. Would read again.

The butthurt from the city of churches is strong.

Reply #577522 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Lol epic post but I can barely see any mention of Adelaide in the entire thread. Lol lol

Reply #577525 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Given the awards night is Weds in Melbourne and G1 on Thurs they might even stay in town.

Reply #577526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is such a ridiculous discussion. If you've performed well enough to be in a position where you can afford to rest players before the playoffs start, then good luck to you.

Reply #577527 | Report this post

Exactly, anon.

Reply #577530 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

^^^ YES!!!

There is plenty of sooking above from Adelaide people butthurt United didn't help their mosquito fleet into the post season. Reality is, the 6ers would've been swept by the big boys anyway.

The best 4 teams made it.

Reply #577531 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

That was me above, not sure why is anon.

Anyway, no point Adelaide fans worrying about other teams' results, it's your own record that determines where you finish!

Reply #577536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good job by NZ to close out the last playoff sport, bumping out a side who had no chance anyway.

Reply #577680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said it before NZ will beat up the smaller United in the playoffs. Playoffs are a different beast where the bigger stronger teams are allowed more room to operate by the refs. The United and their 3point happy shooting style will get exposed.

NZ will beat them and do it quiet easily.

Reply #577692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True look at the bookies they believe it too very tight odds not giving Melb any credit. Going to be an interesting series.

Reply #577693 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I think the Breakers will win the series in 2.

Be very interesting.

Reply #577698 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Good luck to NZ, looks like they are in good form going in to the playoffs.
Beating United without Webster would give they even more confidence.

Hawks vs NZ final should be interesting :)

Reply #577832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:02 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754