just ask me
Years ago

Is the NBA All-Star game actually entertaining?

How is a team almost scoring 200 points entertaining? After all that the dunk contest did to revitalise the weekend, and then they serve up that shite. Thoughts.....

Topic #38995 | Report this topic

Curtley  
Years ago

Yeh agreed, I actually dislike it these days.

Reply #578025 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It seems to have gone from minimal defense back in the day, to zero defense.

Would prefer at least a little bit of D was played.

Reply #578028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not make the winner of the All star game get home court advantage for there conferance in the finals

Reply #578029 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

lol, have a look at free throw attempts for the 48 minutes to get an idea of how much of a joke it is.

Kobe managed to get to the line at least. LOL

Reply #578035 | Report this post

Never happy  
Years ago

You honkeys would complain about a blowjob.
It's a showcase full of dunks, lobs and car park threes. Honestly, talk about a glass half empty. You boys don't even have a glass.

I do like the idea of playing for home court advantage. At least the last 6 mins would be competitive.

Reply #578036 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They had a three-point comp then a game in which 139 three-pointers were attempted.

Reply #578041 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I don't know why they didn't just tell the teams to stay at their offensive basket and alternate who got to take a shot.
They could just play HORSE or something.

We all love the idea of seeing the best of the best match up against each other BUT Before the NBL try another All Star game they need to come up with something to motivate the players, so we can see a contest.
NRL has it with their state of origin - because there are only two states that produce 90% of the players and they seem to have a pride in their performance and they actually put on a contest which even gets interest from outside those states.

Reply #578043 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

All Star Saturday showed that people want a contest ... all 3 events were contests. Even the Skills Challenge was fun for the first time ever.

No one would care if the All Star game was low scoring if everyone tried.

Reply #578049 | Report this post

"It's a showcase full of dunks, lobs and car park threes."

Which is boring. Its a 48 minute training drill with no intensity.

Reply #578051 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Most of the players are just out there having fun and trying to not get injured.

Maybe they could add an incentive like the winning team gets $50,000 each donated to their choice charity.
The losing team gets $10,000 donated.

Gives them a incentive and gets some money to a bunch of charities.

Reply #578052 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

A farce, well to those who don't get the AFL Legends game we so love to watch down here in Victoria that game would be labelled less than interesting I imagine.

The latest attempt to promote soccer saw Steve Gerard's 'all star' Liverpool team plan a 'all star' Socceroos squad that lost 0-4 in a game many could have seen as very uninspiring.

Some people just don't think the NFL's 'Pro-Bowl' is even worth the effort, no defense really played there either.

There are likely many other examples of sporting events that people think are not the same as the 'real thing', yet it isn't meant to be, is it...?

Reply #578066 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Having said that, I would love to see retired super stars of the NBA play a selected current list of super stars in such an 'all star' shootout game!

Imagine the likes of Jordan, Iverson, Wallace, McGrady, Kidd and the Shack out there sharing centre stage with LeBron, Kobe and the Splash Brothers...

Who would care if no defense was played!

Reply #578068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Supernintendo Chalmers,

Don't watch then!

go back to playing Mario Kart with Koopa Troopa on the Rainbow Road haha

Reply #578072 | Report this post

Dalton for 3  
Years ago

I think if they had something like the NRL Origin game then both players and fans might actually care. If players were picked (East v West or North v South) based on their hometown then they might actually try. Similarly I think US based fans would be more interested in the game. International players could represent the team where they first played in US.

If players thought they were representing their hometown then it might mean a bit more to them. Plus then you get the whole mate v mate thing which works well in NRL Origin as everyone would agree you often have a team mate you don't actually like so these one off games are a chance to stick it to them.

Reply #578097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's fine. Main thing is it's about having fun. Chill out people!

Reply #578110 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

It just proves how much the attraction of watching sport is more about the competition and desire to win than the talent. The All Star game is an embarrassment for spectators and the players.

I would rather watch an underage game of 2 evenly matched sides that play to beat the other team.

Reply #578159 | Report this post

Jackson G  
Years ago

This year might have been given extra attention due to the absolute defenceless farce that led to such high scores.

Didnt stop the 100,000+ fans from attending in Dallas in 2010.. people will still go.

I think this Gen know theres too much on the line in the reg season to hurt or tire themselves.

Reply #578160 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't go out of my way to watch much of all-star weekend (dunk/3pt comps aside), but the actual all-star game is the only thing I'd turn off it was on in the background.

Reply #578162 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I haven't watched an NBA All Star game since like 98. They used to be cool.

I believe there were a couple in the early 2000's where it was a tight game and provided actual intensity at the end but I didn't get the chance to watch.

Nowadays it's Lebron, Durant and friends jacking up shots and alley oops for 48 mins racking up high scores and dapping each other.

Means nothing to a guy like me who doesn't follow a specific NBA team or player.

Not that it'll stop fans from going wherever its held.

Reply #578168 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Maybe they could schedule this game as an end of season fixture, mid season will always be like this and if it was during playoffs those guys not playing could go a little harder?

Reply #578208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remind us all who was holding a gun to your head to watch it? Still more entertaining than an NBL game. Someone hitting a 3 in the NBL makes it into the top 10 highlights of the week package lol

Reply #578288 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Maybe they could schedule this game as an end of season fixture, mid season will always be like this and if it was during playoffs those guys not playing could go a little harder?
The Pro Bowl is after the NFL season and nobody cares.

Reply #578312 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:29 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754