Your tip?

Topic #39021 | Report this topic

Tom  
Years ago

Melbourne by 2

Reply #578476 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Melbourne by 2 in a close, tight contest from start to finish.

These teams know each other well, it will be about who executes better down the stretch. United's starting 5 + Warrick is a great group to be able to use in that situation.

Having said all of that, the odds on NZ ($2.65 last I checked) are very tempting. I'm not gonna do it, cos naturally I want United to win, but I do believe NZ are a better chance than that.

Reply #578477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Double OT, nz by one.

Reply #578484 | Report this post

"Having said all of that, the odds on NZ ($2.65 last I checked) are very tempting. I'm not gonna do it, cos naturally I want United to win"

Do it. Its win-win.

Reply #578493 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The insurance bet! Do it - either your team wins or the bookie pays for the consolation drink.

Reply #578495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's really hard to say. These two teams haven't played each other at full strength all season. Each time a key player has been out. Warrick missed the first meeting, Wesley the second, half of Melbourne in the third, then Webster in the fourth. Guess we'll see the real deal for the first time tonight.

Going to be a real battle, if NZ can keep Melbourne's shooters in check they should be able to get the win. Hard to bet against Melbourne at home though.

Reply #578510 | Report this post

Ugly Igley  
Years ago

NZ by 7.

Reply #578511 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Should be a top contest.
I threw a few $$ on NZ purely because I think their price is good. In reality I'm finding it hard to tip a winner.

Reply #578514 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

United by 16, They have been pretty good of late no reason they wont keep it up. Pledger is in doubt with a virus and Big CJ will get into foul trouble and have to sit on the bench. United need to go at Big CJ right away.

Reply #578522 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Breakers by 5

Reply #578533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm on the breakers they should really have swept united during the season with a horrendous refereeing decision costing them their only loss. They are definitely the hottest team right now and will be tough to beat.

Reply #578535 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

NZ by 5...extra bet- Goulding to cry about every call (but its only pay $1.01)

Reply #578537 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hopefully NZ will carry some form into this and take the win. Corey Webster in Sniper mode.

Reply #578538 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hard to get a read on both teams. NZ on a run but not against great opposition. Melbourne took their foot off the pedal, will that mean they come out fresh or flat? Should be a close one but I'm going with NZ's experience.

Reply #578539 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ out the gates early. Sharing the ball and locked in on d.

Reply #578541 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Breakers looking like, well, the Breakers.

Reply #578542 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

NZ racing out of the blocks. Will see if this United team has ticker or is as I believe a team of flat track bullies.

Reply #578543 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

United looking like, well, the Kings

Reply #578544 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hell, Kings offense is more imaginative than Melbourne's I'd say. 80% of United possessions they don't seem to actually run anything outside of guys taking turns trying to penetrate from the perimeter.

Reply #578545 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This one's over.

(this quarter, that is)

Reply #578546 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That went really quickly.

Reply #578547 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Breakers V Warrick

Reply #578549 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Melbourne selected Breakers over Sixers. Probably thinking that just them the season

Reply #578550 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh hey, Blanchfield is still in the NBL.

Reply #578551 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Tomlinson is underrated. Really good PG.

Thing is, will United keep going to Warrick? Can Goulding, Holt, Blanchfield etc continue to feed him or will they resort to hero ball?

Seems harsh that Warrick can keep hooking but as soon as the Breaker bigs body him up a bit its a foul.

Warrick could have been a 25 and 10 player with more minutes. He literally creates a miss match with every other PF

Reply #578553 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Breakers V Warrick"

NZB have stopped, and Warrick has hit the lead

Reply #578554 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Geez Warrick is a beast

Reply #578555 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Everytime i hear a United game all you ever hear is Goulding Goulding Goulding

Good to hear them showing love to Warrick.

They still lost the plot over that 3 by Goulding.

Reply #578556 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Awful 2nd quarter from NZ. They're suddenly in an ordinary position down 3 at the half, with Charles Jackson on 3 PFs and Vukona & Wesley each on 2.

Reply #578558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what was worse, the breakers 2Nd half or the refereeing.

Reply #578560 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Rucker on the Goulding layup "See Pledger has to put him on his backside there..can't allow the easy layup".

No but that's the problem..you do that these days and you're getting pinged for an unsportsmanlike.

Reply #578563 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"No but that's the problem..you do that these days and you're getting pinged for an unsportsmanlike."

Still worth it to smash Goulding

Reply #578564 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Charles Jackson fouls out in 6:17 of playing time

Reply #578566 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Hahahahahahahaha Melbourne. GO NZ!

Reply #578568 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It went down, but why is Webster shooting long step-back 2s with time on the clock...

Reply #578569 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Goulding is making a real name for him self with the douchy plays.

Reply #578570 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha who cares that the refs cant call a foul on a replay, nice work pinging Goulding

Reply #578571 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Love that play by Goulding, but his foot was out of bounds when he did that. Does that change anything? I don't even know.

Reply #578572 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Firstly not one of the three clowns saw Goulding grab Abercrombie's leg and place it out of court. Then they don't even know the fkn rule about replay use.

fwits

Reply #578573 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Refs in make-up call overdrive.

Reply #578574 | Report this post

victorianwildcat  
Years ago

Karma for Gouldings flop earlier in the year i say

Reply #578575 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Let me repeat what I have posted in the past. How fkn dumb is a coach or team that passes the ball to CJ when the other team is in a fouling situation.

Reply #578576 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hack-a-Ced 75% successful so far

Reply #578577 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, must know that Melb are going to foul there. Idiotic to inbound to CJ.

Reply #578578 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

It's happened a few times this year. Seriously any junior coach would know that you would never do this.

Reply #578579 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

2nd best option for these fools, that's right...pass it to Vukona who shoots 50%

Reply #578580 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol... nice work by Holt there.

Reply #578581 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The thing is the commentators go on about Goulding as if he is some out of this world freak.

Tonight he went something like 4/14(?) On 3s and 7/20 (?) FG with some stupid shot selection.

I asked the question would he keep going to Warrick or would he resort to hero ball..its clear what he decided.

Reply #578582 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

And that's why no one wanted NZ to make the finals. What a terrific performance from the Breakers.

United have to win in NZ to keep the series alive... ouch.

Reply #578583 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Melbourne and Perth starting to regret not keeping NZ out lel

Reply #578584 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"2nd best option for these fools, that's right...pass it to Vukona who shoots 50%"

Yeah I had a major LOL at that, too.
To his credit he made both though.

Prepare your brooms, Breakers fans...

Reply #578585 | Report this post

victorianwildcat  
Years ago

Great game by Vikona , set the standard early.

Reply #578586 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"And that's why no one wanted NZ to make the finals."

Damn right

Reply #578587 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

Melb United choked, melb stink!

Reply #578588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just shows you down the stretch a Championship team will always beat a team that spends lots of money.

Reply #578589 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Monstered!

Real chance of UTD going out 0-2...

Reply #578591 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

I think Demopoulos should've had the courage to sub in Majok for Kickert during that stretch in the fourth when the Breakers were killing them on the offensive glass.

Reply #578596 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

^ Agree, was thinking similar...

Kickert was not doing either, scoring or rebounding!

Reply #578598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Karmas a bitch, just ask the Boomers !

Reply #578599 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Karma can be such a bitch.
At least Adelaide fans now have something to smile about.

Reply #578600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Welcome to the playoffs where flopping and the united wont get carried night in night out by the refs. This is where the physically dominante teams thrive. United are thrive.

Reply #578602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are done!

Reply #578603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Swap the head coaches, swap the result.

Reply #578604 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

Well done to the New Zealand national team

Reply #578605 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes, well done to NZ for defeating Victoria (a state with > 1 million more people than NZ)

Reply #578608 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@KET

"Melbourne and Perth starting to regret not keeping NZ out lel"

Would you mind explaining how Perth had a hand in keeping NZ in and the Sixers out of the playoffs??

Reply #578609 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

NZ were beasts tonight.
Take out Warrick and CG43 and united lose by 30.

Damn, looks like the brooms are needed in Auckland!

Reply #578610 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bye, bye United

Reply #578611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

swap the guards swap the result

Reply #578612 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Pffft. Toft is toss.

Reply #578614 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Perth could have tanked against the 36ers and Melbourne tried to actually beat NZ on one of the occasions.

If NZ beat Mel and Perth beat Hawks, Perth face up against NZ again, and they don't want it.

Reply #578615 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Right, so it's Perth or Hawks v New Zealand for the GF, Home court against NZ on the line, I believe, since they finished higher. That's one thing that in all of their playoff series so far Perth hasn't had. Could change some mentalities.

But I wonder if NZ would rather Perth get through than the Hawks?

Reply #578616 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I reckon they would prefer Perth. Hawks have given them problems, whereas they know they can deal with us.

Reply #578617 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Watched the whole first half but only caught small bits of the second half.

Based on the stats, it looks like Warrick kept dominating the game like he did in half one.

I guess after finals losses, it's fair to point the blame at individuals.

Holt must do more.

Kickert- he is an all NBL first team level player. But only at one end of the floor.(And he wasn't that tonight either). If you're a professional power forward, you can't play 33 minutes and get 2 rebounds. It's just not good enough.

Reply #578619 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

"Perth could have tanked against the 36ers and Melbourne tried to actually beat NZ on one of the occasions."

You do realise that at the Sixers @ Perth game, even if Perth tanked, Sixers would still be 5th?

Even if the Utd beat NZ, Sixers would still miss the playoffs due to the split with NZ.

I find it really odd that you would lay the blame on Perth and Melbourne, yet not ask :

- Why didn't the Sixers protect home court against the Brakers? OR at the least lose by less than 16 points to preserve the split? How hard is it to not lose by 16 at home?

- Why didn't the Sixers beat Illawara?

- Why didn't the Sixers win @ Perth?

Why is it that you think that the rest of the league owes the Sixers a playoff spot?

Entitled much?

Reply #578625 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

What's with all the "swap the" comments???
The better team on the night won (as usually happens.) Yes that team includes the players (surprise surprise) and to some extent the coach. Doh!

Melbourne make their bed when they through the first game, and complacently thought that HCA would carry them through the next couple.

Perth dropped a game to the spooners, it didn't effect anyone, then gave themselves a good hitout against Adelaide.

Melbourne not only allowed NZ to lock-down 4th spot, but gave them two massive confidence boosts, whilst at the same time undermining their own. Epically stupid move, and whoever is responsible for that strategy should be looking for a new job.

At the same time, once again credit to NZ. They have again got their shit together at the pointy end of the season, and shown that they can win the games that need to be won.

Getting ahead of things a bit here, but IF it does come down to a Perth v NZ final, I would give both teams a good chance. Perth would have HCA, which gives them a shot. However Perth really struggle to win in NZ, I would put money on that game going NZ's way. Whereas NZ have been very competitive in Perth. Perth should win, but NZ taking 1 of 2 games in Perth is a possibility.

Frankly, I think it would suck to see the NZ ("national team") win their 5th flag in 6th years, but you can't deny their professionalism.

The "national team" slur, has some validity, but it is what it is. That potential has existed from the moment they were allowed into the NBL, and the only way around it is to foster more teams from NZ. Bitching about it doesn't alter reality.

Reply #578626 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Breakers academy turned development players into guys who are first choice players for the tall blacks.
No other team in the league has a development program close to the Breakers.
NZ's import selection has been fairly solid also.

Great win but they need to back it up at Vector on Saturday against a United team with their backs to the wall.

Reply #578640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

National team players include

Abercrombie
Webster
Vukona

And ocassionaly bartlett if needed

Reply #578642 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Marcus Camby, you completely missed the point, it shot wayyyyyyyyyyyy over your head.

It's not about the 36ers deserving a spot, it's that Melbourne and Perth would rather face the 36ers because the 36ers are easier to beat. They had the opportunity to fix it to keep NZ out of the 4 and they didn't. Therefore, if they both end up losing, that's the point of the "starting to regret".

Those are two completely different propositions and you just went on a tangent on one that wasn't being discussed. Nice work wasting your time.

Reply #578647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The unpredictability of this season is so predictable!

Reply #578653 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"National team players include

Abercrombie
Webster
Vukona

And ocassionaly bartlett if needed"

You left out Pledger and TeRangi.

All of those players were also Breakers DP's

Reply #578655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United poorly coached again. Demops is like a spectator, watches NZ go on a 16-2 run in the first quarter and then a 10-0 run in the third. United run no offense, just play jungle ball.
Goulding is all "look at me". If they had kept feeding Warwick they win the game. They played their best ball when Goulding sat out the 2nd quarter. They actually shared the ball.

Reply #578669 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Take out Warrick and CG43 and united lose by 30."

Take out Warrick and they lose by 30 - yes. No way Goulding deserves to be mentioned in that same sentence.

See this is what is wrong, people buy into the CG hype because he hits some ridicolous shots but peolple (especially the commentators who lose their minds over CG) need to look at the individual game stats more closely - the fact of the matter is that Goulding went 4/14 from the 3 last night and 7/21 from the Field.

If anything, if Goulding didn't resort to taking such ridicolous shots in that 2nd half and he fed the ball into Warrick they would have stood a better chance of winning.

Reply #578673 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I do tend to agree that Cedric and Corey, while also taking some crazy shots, play with a little more sacrifice for the team than Goulding.

However last night when he needed to stand up, Holt went missing for too long and this partnership wasn't as effective as the NZ guard duo.

Then you have to factor in the cameos, Bartlett made shots and that kept NZ handy from the outside while Pedger covered Jackson being fouled out and of course Vukona was awesome...

Reply #578680 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'm with MACDUB.

Until Goulding learns to be ruthless in his approach and focus on his shots instead of his hair and sucking in refs, and becomes more of a team player, he'll always just be a player with potential for me. Sure, he's shown some great skills and exciting plays, but I still reckon he's way short of how good he COULD be.

He reminds me too much of Carmelo Anthony - very talented and exciting but a selfish git who wouldn't pass or defend hard.

Reply #578704 | Report this post

Larry 33  
Years ago

I didn't see the game but can someone tell me what the go was with Odigie?

The stats show he subbed on in the last minute of the first half, fouled a few secs later and subbed out, In the last few seconds of the game he subbed on, fouled a few secs later and was subbed out again,

What was the context?

Reply #578712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Odigie was supposed to foul early at the end of the half as they weren't in the bonus. He gave up a 3 point play instead.

Reply #578715 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In my earlier post I pointed the finger at Holt and Kickert. But some blame must go to Demopoulos too. Why wait so long to call a timeout in the first quarter?

Once United steadied, they did a fine job of getting back into the game (or should I say Warrick did a fine job of getting them back in the game). But they were clearly rattled at the start like a deer in the headlights. Why wait so long to call TO?

Fundamentally though, looking forward to game 2:

I think United have an issue with their bigs.

- Kickert is a below average defender- he doesn't get low enough and doesn’t move well enough laterally. He isn’t physical enough- and isn’t quick enough in getting across to help. Basically he’s a poor defender. But his biggest problem is this: He has no presence on the boards whatsoever. This is a massive issue when you’re playing against perhaps the most physical and tough team in the league, led by one of the toughest guys around, in Vukona. NZ massacred MU on the glass last night, and Kickert is the biggest culprit in letting this happen.

- So my inclination is to bench Kickert. If you’re gonna play 33 minutes and grab 2 rebounds, then you don’t get another 33 minutes.

- But- then you have Majok and Warrick playing together. Warrick was the best player on court last night, but he does his best work in the low post and around the hoop. With Kickert on, it allows the spacing to let Warrick isolate his man in the low post. Kickert helps spread the D so when Warrick rolls to the hoop or cuts baseline, there’s space for him to use his athleticism. With Majok on court we’d have another guy playing near the hoop, which could cause congestion in the lane and make it tougher for Warrick to have another similar impact like last night. Even if Majok steps 12 feet away from the hoop, his defender will hedge because he’ll know Majok isn’t a threat to hit a 12 foot jumper. Which will make it more difficult for Warrick...

Having said the above, if I was Demopoulos I’d still give more time to Majok and less to Kickert. (Last night, Kickert got 33 minutes and Majok got 15). This might be detrimental offensively, but MU needs rebounding and defense right now. Majok plays physical defense, and he’s the best rebounder in the competition. If Holt can get going, it’ll help counter Kickert’s absence on the offensive end.

Reply #578721 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

And late in the game he went in for Kickert I believe, then out for him as a planned substitute from what I saw.

Reply #578722 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

LV, would you consider playing Kickert in the three, Holt and Goulding as the guards and Majok with Warrick to try and cause miss-matches?

I can't remember UTD trying this combination...

Reply #578724 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Warrick clawed them back in that 2nd quarter and for a bit of the third, then they resorted to their usual style and it went haywire.

If they went back to Warrick time and time again (as you're taught if something is effective keep going at it):

1. He scores; or
2. He draws fouls and gets Weasley and Vukona out of the game.
3. He scores and draws foul.

They went with Goulding and other perimeter shooters who did neither.

Reply #578726 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I have also been critical of UTD's game plan being the 3 ball first and obviously when they are hitting those shots they look hard to catch.

But in the finals, shooters can tighten up, so you do need those interior options for balance.

This is where the Hawks have it over UTD I believe, especially as their two bigs are very effective in the post. Perth are very strong in the post and last night we saw what the Breakers offer inside.

Seems to be something coaches are keen to exploit, the three ball shooters, and something the game pretends is the 'way to go', but I have always subscribed to the theory that your outside game comes after you try and establish the inside game.

Call me old fashioned like that, but UTD have a huge mountain to climb in a very short time now...

Reply #578729 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Am I the only one who doesn't like Melbourne United's coach? I just think he's a bit....

Reply #578731 | Report this post

...not aiight?

Reply #578732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear... U can't play kickert in the 3 unless you play zone, he's a bad defender regardless of what position he plays, sit him in a zone with the best 2 rebounders to cover him, then theres a mismatch somewhere for them on the offensive end....just a thought.

Reply #578734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV the solution is to run Blanchfield at the 4 with Warrick when NZ has the right lineup on the floor.

Reply #578738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets get 2 times outs in last 2 minutes when we are 10 down. But lets not call any when NZ make their run.

Reply #578748 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie's speed and athleticism would kill Kickert at the 3 and he could defend him on the perimeter. If Melbourne go big NZ can put Vukona onto Warrick and run Pledger and Jackson in tandem.

Reply #578752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers Played with intensity and heart. They know how too win plain and simple. Credit where credit is due

Reply #578757 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'm surprised people aren't bringing up the whole Tai Wesley essentially being a 3rd import thing now that he's proving to be a consistent player.

Reply #578778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looking forward to the Perth V Breakers beat eachother to death GF.

Reply #578779 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Hawks may have something to say about that tonight, but it is a possibility anon^...

Reply #578785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be a NZ v Perth final with Perth getting bitch slapped yet again by NZ in a GF.

Reply #578832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If NZ and Perth end up in the Grand Final again, i think the rest of the league needs to take notes what it takes to consistently make finals....

Core group

Reply #578985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damo is by far the best defensive player in the league and probably the greatest defensive player the nbl has ever seen.

Reply #578988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More Perth idiots that have no knowledge of the history of the whole NBL.

Reply #578993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Damo is close to best defender ever in the NBL.

Reply #579005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Close doesn't cut the initial statement

Reply #579007 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754