Bear
Years ago

Wildcats vs Hawks, Game 1 - Feb 19

Thought I would start the thread, since none is apparent yet.

Looking forward to this one, what are the general thoughts here?

Topic #39028 | Report this topic

I think most people are genuinely hoping Perth win as the club and its fans are quite popular nationwide.

Reply #578803 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well, It'd be more enjoyable seeing Perth lose a game 3 at home than a game 1....

Reply #578808 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Humorous start, yes well I certainly didn't shed a tear when United lost either, I just wanted a great contest and luckily Warrick came to the party.

Tonight I hope Dollar Beal can turn it on, no matter who wins it I think his match up with Lisch will be worth while...

Reply #578811 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the Hawks will be up against it, but hopefully being at full strength gives them a good start and they run with it.

Reply #578821 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Should be a great game, both teams have great starting 5s.
Perth looks deeper on paper but not sure that will be a big help in a finals game.
If Penney and Lisch fire the Hawks will get this one. Plus I think the Hawks have better coaching.

Hawks by 5pts.

Reply #578824 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Lisch and Penny don't worry me, it's old man Foreman that does. We always seem to forget he can shoot 3s.

Cats by 12, Jawai with 20 and 10...he's due

Reply #578825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks series win would be epic for Bevo against his former club. All the best Rob.

Reply #578843 | Report this post

Rob  
Years ago

Thanks anon.

Reply #578844 | Report this post

Marvin  
Years ago

Break a leg Rob.

Reply #578847 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cats $1.35
Hawks $3.20
Margin: -6.5 points
Over/Under: 172.5

Reply #578860 | Report this post

Not 100% confident at all, they have some serious shooters and we don't. If they get going we could be in trouble.

Reply #578863 | Report this post

AnkleBreaker  
Years ago

I think they key for Hawks is accuracy from long range, if they shoot well they are in for a good chance.

If they don't Perth is too big, and Ogilvy is great but not a strong big man and gets out rebounded.

Some exciting match ups Lisch/Martin, Beal/Lisch, Prather/Penney.

The cats have generally bulldozed there way to a win, their perimeter defence has been good against the Hawks all year, albeit Penney didn't play last game...4-0 for the season.

Go Cats lets get this one done!

Reply #578879 | Report this post

Nick Marvin  
Years ago

We will annihilate them!

Reply #578884 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Fingers crossed for the Hawks. Would really enjoy that results for so many reasons.

Reply #578889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks odds shortening.

Reply #578898 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Hoping the Hawks do it

Reply #578906 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Very small crowd tonight, as usual for cats home semi finals

Reply #578911 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Foul fest

Reply #578912 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wow Jawai..how do you do that?

Hawks should foul Jawai..cant shoot FTs to save himself.

Reply #578913 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Series over?

Reply #578915 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hawks series gone now :(

Dirty play by Wagstaff to end Lisch's series..disgraceful.

Reply #578916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And there goes the Hawks finals chances.

Reply #578917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How was that dirty play by Wagstaff?

Reply #578918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How on earth is it a dirty play by wagstaff, does he have mind control powers and caused lisch to step on his own foot??

Reply #578919 | Report this post

How was that Wagstaff fault noddy ?

Trev is outta line there, what would he want if it was one of our players down, he'd want the game stopped.

Reply #578920 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hope everyone took the under on that 172.5!

Reply #578921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB is disgraceful

Reply #578922 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hahaha jeez! Did not think people would actually bite that one ;)

Clearly satire.

Reply #578923 | Report this post

Fan  
Years ago

End of 1st quarter. I got the feeling the Hawks might win this one, they are controlling tempo with their defence and the Wildcats after 6 quick points behind Beal only managed another 9 for the quarter. They are struggling vs a zone that collapses when the ball goes to the low post or is dribble penetrated.

Reply #578925 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

15 fouls in the first period....wow

overreffing much?

Reply #578928 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Cats look better with Knight as opposed to Jawai.

The concern is having Jawai defend those on ball screens because he gets murdered off it quite a bit.

Reply #578929 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

When's the last game Forman didn't get 2 fouls in the first quarter?

Reply #578931 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

He lasted 2:36 tonight, and had 2 fouls in 3 seconds.

Reply #578932 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hopefully Lisch is back for game 2, if not tonight.

Reply #578934 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

White is a great fit for the Hawks team.

Reply #578935 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

lol... Another 1:30 and Forman gets another foul.

Reply #578936 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

FOREMAN DUNK SIGHTING.

Reply #578937 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Lisch injured?

Reply #578938 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Rolled his ankle stepping on Wagstaff's foot.

Reply #578939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch will not return tonight

Reply #578940 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Hawks have been competitive in the first half and will need to keep it tight to get the win

Reply #578941 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Well that was an awkward cut to break.

Reply #578942 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Gee I hope the Hawks get more points than Perth by the end of this one. That way they have a great chance of winning the game

Reply #578943 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

11 boards in the first half for the cats according to the video screen here.
Clearly we need to recruit some size next season.

Reply #578944 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Lisch in a moonboot and crutches. He's done for the series you'd think and so are the Hawks.

Reply #578945 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Well, we'll see. Moonboot might just be to keep it iced. Looked like an ankle roll to me, which hurt like hell but can either be a day or a week out of action.

Reply #578946 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh Casey....

Reply #578947 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Penney needs to reel it in a bit here.

Reply #578948 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Does Gleeson ever not complain? Refs get baited into make up calls because he acts so victimised.

Perth simply too good. Its that simple.

Reply #578949 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gleeson deserves about 10 techs each game.

Reply #578950 | Report this post

All coaches complain, they just do it in different ways Gleeson is way too animated, where as Beveridge does it quietly.

Reply #578951 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gleeson screams in their faces and comes on the verge of making contact. Any other ref does that, it's a tech, but he gets away with it because he does it all game.

Reply #578952 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Any other coach*

Reply #578953 | Report this post

Ever watched Joey Wright when he gets going ?

Reply #578954 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That extra pass Ellis just made to Coenraad in the corner is the type of play Ellis wasn't making last year (or the first third of this season).

Reply #578955 | Report this post

This has to be Redhage last year, gone 1 year too long.

Reply #578956 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

NZ are better than both these teams

Reply #578963 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Robbins always seems to side with the away team on those 50/50 calls... I wonder if he's trying to go out of his way to not sound like a homer.

Reply #578964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks need Danillo Gallinari

Reply #578965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timmy C is having the game of his life

Reply #578966 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Doesn't look like a particularly great crowd.

Reply #578967 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

ROFLcopter, as a NZ fan don't think we can beat Perth if we make the GF. Can't see us winning 2 at PA. Perth are a class enough team as it is but if refs call the game like they have tonight in a NZ-Perth series we will get wiped off the floor because that slow, stop start style doesn't suit us and we get ourselves into trouble when we have foul trouble.

Reply #578968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penney has gone MIA BADLY

Reply #578969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised perth crowd has not shown up. I swear it looked like there was more people at the kings game lol.

Reply #578971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what Gleeson tells the players at the half but they are a different team after halftime in almost every game they've played this season.

Reply #578972 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Is everyone excited for a Perth-NZ finals?!?

Not even sure I'd watch a single game. Melbourne-Hawks probably would've been best case as far as entertainment goes, but doesn't look like either team is a good chance to make it now.

Reply #578973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis 2, Lisch 2, time to quit and hand over to Redhage

Reply #578974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather is a gun. Perth should do everythingf possible to bring him back

Reply #578975 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Shame about Lisch

Cats impressive on the defensive end but will need to execute better offensively if they're to beat a full strength opposition, whether we're talking about any of the other top 4 sides

Reply #578977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth were great. No Lisch, all over for the Hawks.
Clearly Perth aren't that good.

Reply #578980 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Unlucky for Lisch and the Hawks.
If they were ever going to win in Perth, this was it.
Prather & Wagstaff in foul trouble early, Jawai still "sore," reversing the rebound trend, and that early poor shooting...
I don't see that happening again.

At the risk of stating the obvious, if they don't get Lisch back, this could be over in 2.

Hard to tell from the tv, but it didn't look exceptionally bad. They put him in a boot, but I didn't see a lot of ice, and he wasn't rushed straight off for treatment.
But a day and a half to recover from a game-ending injury???

Reply #578989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch or no lisch perth are the better team. this season they have owned the Hawks 5-0. As for Damo wow can he play defence? wow

Reply #578991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a bust Jawai is.

Reply #578992 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

End of 1st quarter. I got the feeling the Hawks might win this one, they are controlling tempo with their defence
That was their big mistake, last thing you want to do against Perth is slow down the tempo. Perth excel at the slow "bump & grind."

Hawks obviously made a concerted effort to redress the usual rebound deficit. At one point I think they were up 20-10, but in the end the Cats pegged it back to 34-27.

Reply #578995 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

What a bust Jawai is.
How so?
He has probably made the difference this year between "making the play-offs" and actually being a contender.

Without him, we've got Knight starting at centre, and probably Wagstaff at the 4.
It's not like we can just go out and grab another import, quality local players are at a premium.

Reply #578996 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

This has to be Redhage last year, gone 1 year too long.
If he wings another ring this season, I would not be surprised to see a retirement. Otherwise, I reckon he will play on.
He's not the "scoring machine" he once was, but he does a lot of good work out there.
When you look at the efficiency ratings, Perth are most efficient at both ends with Redhage on the floor.

Besides, Perth's biggest problem this off-season, with 8 players out of contract, will be dealing with the player points. Redhage's 4-point discount will make him a cheap bench option.

Reply #578998 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Bit of a hollow win without Lisch participating, but what can you do.
Fingers crossed for a miracle recovery, but the way he was reacting to the doc I'm guessing it was a fairly bad one.

Casey, please stay out of foul trouble from now on. We reeeeeeeally need out out there.

Shout outs to Jervis for 18 extremely efficient minutes, and Hire, who didn't hit his shots tonight but continued the valuable role he has been playing in recent weeks.

Reply #579004 | Report this post

AnkleBreaker  
Years ago

Price of tickets for tonight's game unfortunately kept the crowd glued to their TV's at home.

I am a member, never missed a home game, but it was double the cost for the game $100 and still $55 in the bleachers.

So I thought a 6 pack and a bag of chips on my couch would do me just fine.....

I'm not saying that the game the players aren't worth the cost....I simply cannot afford to pay that much money for a ball game.

Perth is not rolling in the money anymore with the commodity prices down....

Reply #579010 | Report this post

Kaiju  
Years ago

Members tickets weren't that bad, they didn't raise the prices (finals top up) silver members were 55

Reply #579018 | Report this post

Kaiju  
Years ago

Members tickets weren't that bad, they didn't raise the prices (finals top up) silver members were 55

Reply #579019 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Finals games pricing was actually lower than last year, smallest crowd of the year.

Reply #579020 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Last year it was $65.
This year it was $55 (plus the $9.20 "delivery charge" plus a surcharge, so over $65.
If it goes to a 3rd game, that's $130, and if they make it to the GF, $260.
Plus parking, plus beverages, etc.

Most years, I wouldn't blink, but money's tight at the moment.

Reply #579021 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The app had Damo's block on AJ as a steal, the website has it as a block by Jawai.

Reply #579022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the crowd figure? Semi finals have always been a struggle even before Perth arena

Reply #579024 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Lisch going down has certainly dented Hawks hopes and its hard to see them doing anything other than scrap and hustle just to stay in the game. They did that last night but were always going to come up short.
Damian Martin kept Perth in it in the first half with his steals and I would give him player of the match.

Reply #579025 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Semi-finals are pretty much the smallest crowds of the year everywhere. Until the NBL gets high-level coverage in the mainstream media it will probably stay that way.

They really do need to look at ticket prices though. With limited time to promote the game you can't really afford to have people who are interested being turned away by the price.

One option would be to increase the league levy on GF ticket prices as there is always high demand for those, and drop it for SFs.

Reply #579033 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Dazz, i know things are tight now. We had only 4 people in our row of seats and 6 in the row behind us that's just 26 people less in 2 rows and there were a lot of areas that had no one in a row. I think the Wildcats would be disappointed with the numbers but not the noise the smaller crowd made.
I sit in silver ticket area so paid $121.30 for 2 seats including stupid 9.20 fee and $2.10 for credit card.
Let's hope IF we make it to the grand final at $130 a ticket it only goes to 2 games.

Reply #579038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money isn't tight for me but I couldn't be bothered going as it is a ripoff and a matter of principle (not principal). Get a grip Wildcats.

Reply #579099 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754