Anonymous
Years ago

WNBL - Final Round

Good win by the Lynx last night.

Benidgo not playing in the playoffs for the 1st time in forever.

TV deal imminent.

SEQ can get to 16 wins this weekend.

Who gets the minor premiership?

Topic #39035 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Very nice win by the Lynx, yes. Fire looked quite underwhelming. Played their full team, but I wonder how much they really cared about that one.

If SEQ wins both AND the Fire lose to the Lightning then I believe the head-to-heads still don't produce a winner and it comes down to points differentials? Don't quote me on that though. Last night they mentioned that the Lynx can still finish 1st so I'm just assuming that's the reason.

I can't be bothered working it out. But Go Lightning!! ;)

Dandenong-SEQ tomorrow will be a big one. Hopefully that "imminent" coverage is sorted out in the next 24 hours so that I can watch it on tv :p

Reply #579084 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

I had written SEQ off during their mid season mini slump, great news for them playing finals.

Reply #579107 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Really any of the top 4 could win this season, one of the tightest seasons in recent memory and the first year without TV coverage!

Reply #579108 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

SEQ's chances depend very heavily on Mansfield's health. With her, yes, I agree than none of the 4 are without a chance.

Reply #579112 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

Luuuc any Aussies in wnba draft?

Reply #579114 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ouch... Following up on that comment about Mansfield and SEQ :

"The Stars are believed to have lost point guard Lauren Mansfield for the rest of the season after an ankle injury needed surgery."

From
http://m.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/wnbl-dandenong-rangers-out-for-second-place-in-seq-stars-showdown-20160219-gmyt2l.html

That hurts as much as Illawarra losing Lisch. Sad news.

Reply #579120 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

!,
Nicole Seekamp is the only aussie I've seen mentioned in any mock drafts. Even if drafted the odds would be against her sticking to a roster.

Reply #579123 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Boomers serving it up to SEQ so far. 41-27 at the half, and the Stars really looking messy without a point guard. Not a lot of quality sets being run at that end.

Meanwhile the Caps look like registering win #2 of the season vs the Griffin-less Spirit. They're up 12 with 5 minutes to play.

Bright start by Adelaide vs Sooky Suzy & Co. too. Carn Lightning!

Reply #579239 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Another loss to Bendigo Spirit this weekend in a send off game to Canberra legends! Congratulations and credit to Canberra! As a Bendigo fan, I think the new coach has a lot to answer for! The games I watched he was out coached. Never knew when to make a change or call a 'timely' time out! He didn't seem to know his players or their capabilities so never seemed to get the best out of the 'team'! #onespirit - #divided at best!
Disappointed fan wanting answers!!!!

Reply #579271 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I want to know as well, Peter. But if there's one thing I can count on when it comes to the Bendigo Spirit ...

The truth will come out!!!!!

Reply #579274 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lightning overrun in the second half and lost by 57-64. Just when I was thinking (well ... hoping) that we might have a round full of upsets.

So I believe the top 4 is now set?

1. Townsville
2. Perth
3. Dandenong
4. SEQ

... which may make tomorrow's game a bit of a fizzer.

Reply #579275 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ok so I take that back about the top 4 being set.
Or rather...
About the playoff participants being set.

Reply #579298 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

what team/s has seekamp been aligned with?

Reply #579300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey !

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=seekamp+wnba

Reply #579303 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

SEQ's loss was beneficial, Im sure they would rather play the Fire in QLD than the Lynx in Perth.

Reply #579308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Fire game finished after the SEQ game and the Fire were down for 3 quarters.

I think its more Mansfield is a much better player then most people think.

Reply #579316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't the format 1 v 2. And 3 v 4. That loss meant nothing to SEQ.

Reply #579321 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes the format is 1v2 and 3v4, so the loss cost SEQ a chance to finish in 3rd place and play the elimination final at home instead of @ Dandenong.

And yes, Mansfield is an excellent player. She's a chance for an All WNBL First Team spot IMO.

Reply #579328 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Such a bush league now I forgot about the extra elimination final. I like the WNBL finals system the extra elimination finals just adds a bit more excitement.

Reply #579358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky loser systems are crap. You can become champion despite losing a series. That's not being a champion. Playoffs are playoffs - do or die.

Reply #579392 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's a good system IMO.
2nd chance for a top 2 team is a must while each stage is just a single game.

Reply #579419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay single game that's fine.

If it were a series though it would suck.

Like NBL had in early 2000s at one stage.

Reply #579422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nicole Seakamp is with U South Dakota in the Summit League. Not a strong Conference but she is 2 x Conference finals MVP. Posted 21 pts, 10 as, 4 Steals, 6 Reb in USD's win over SD State. Was the difference between the teams. Gets lots of plaudits for steadiness and leadership.
Picked at #24 in a mock draft but hard to get noticed in that conference.

Reply #579632 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:10 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754