Anonymous
Years ago

Chris Goulding signs in Italy

According to Olgun Uluc, Chris Goulding has signed with Torino in Italy

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/chris-goulding-melbourne-united-guard-signs-to-play-in-italian-lega-basket-seria-a/news-story/dc8480729780210a7fc009e1143075da

Topic #39053 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to him hope he does well, wander if he got European pass port.

Reply #579721 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I believe he does, yes. I think he's a dual citizen in the UK or something.

Either way, any experience in a different league with different coaches and defences is a plus for Goulding. I don't think its good to be playing over a guy who has such a chronic man-crush on him as Dean De-----whatever does.

Reply #579722 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Follows Gliddon to Europe to try and boost chances of Australian Boomers selection.

Reply #579744 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'd say his chances are pretty good anyway. Who in the Boomers can create their own shot besides him and Patty Mills?

Reply #579751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding create own shot or jack own shot.....depends on your point of view.

Doesn't guard well enough for boomers we better looking at other players in the last roster sports...should have plenty of scoring between Mills,Anderson,Simmons,Exum plus a touch of Delly & Baybes for good measure

Reply #579761 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Not sure that Simmons and Exum will be useful scoring options at Rio. Seems to me that there'll be a reliance on Mills and Delly to control everything on the offensive end.

Reply #579784 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Lol. Exum. I think it'd be wiser to talk about him for 2020. He isn't up to it yet.

Reply #579785 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Safe to say Exum will not be part of the equation.

Reply #579790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum is in the league do better option than summer league struggler Goulding

Reply #579803 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

He might be in the NBA but he is also injured and I highly doubt Utah would want him to play. It also depends what the Boomers want. Do they want a shooter? Then Goulding is the best option. Or do they want a PG to back-up Delly/Mills? Then you go with Exum even if just for experience.

Reply #580044 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Exum has to be in the squad regardless just for the experience, he's over hanging out with the other NBA guys, I think he has that over nearly all other players looking for a spot in the team.

Neither Exum or Goulding will keep Broekhof from getting his fair share of court time as that kid is a star.

Reply #580135 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Good on him! Learning how to flop in another language!

Reply #580342 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

First game: fouls out in 14 mins, 0-3 shooting (0-2 3pt), 2 rebs, 2 assts. Maybe NBL refs not so bad after all?

Reply #581015 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

First game: fouls out in 14 mins, 0-3 shooting (0-2 3pt), 2 rebs, 2 assts. Maybe NBL refs not so bad after all?

Reply #581016 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Funnily enough, he only fouled out twice in 43 games last year in Europe. Although he was stepping out of the tight calling of the 2014 NBL, whereas this year he steps out of the let 'em play 2016 NBL!

Also funnily enough, both styles of reffing produced an average score of around 85ppg.

Reply #581020 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So whats the deal, how does this work?
These guys are going to Europe to sign for the remainder of their season?

Do they make more money playing in Europe than Australia? Or are these the lesser leagues and teams and don't pay as well?
I'm just wondering why they wouldn't play the whole season in Europe?

Reply #583310 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

At the end of the season they pick up a short deal that pays reasonably well but not close to what someone like Goulding makes for a full season in the NBL.

Most of the guys who have signed from the NBL this off-season have gone into quality leagues like Italy (Goulding), Spain (Holt) and Euroleague (Warrick and Randle).

You'd have to ask each guy their reasons for doing it this way, but I'd imagine most wanted to play in Australia in summer, speaking English and playing high-tempo basketball and then top up their income at the end of the season.

Reply #583311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a rest would be my recommendation for your time off. No one can keep playing all year.

Reply #583312 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Considering a pro basketball career only lasts 10-15 years tops, earn the money while you can. Great for their career development, too.

Tough start for Goulding in Italy though, 0-9 from three through 3 games, and 3-15 from the field total.

Reply #583322 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:11 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754