Dazz
Years ago

Is Jawai injured?

Just wondering what peoples' opinions were after watching the last few games?
He was reportedly suffering from back soreness/ "tightness" following the Sydney game. But its hard to know whether he has recovered from that?

Jawai hasn't really progressed the way we might like during this season, but he has mostly become more consistent in the way he plays and the way the Cats use him. This season he has averaged 20 minutes, 11 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists.
The combination of he, Knight, and Jervis, has allowed Perth to dominate inside and on the boards.
Nate was well down on output in game one, and yesterday he managed only half his minutes whilst he and the Cats were single-handedly pantsed by Ogilvy (inside.)

It seemed as though the Hawks had a plan to counter him, and it "worked." Is that the case? Or is he just injured?

It's not that he's the best player, or most valuable, but he's a vital cog in the Wildcats machine. With him in the paint, and Knight at the 4, the Cats do very well inside and are setup well for rebounds. That size up front also allows Prather to cut lose at the 3.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it can't be easy thumping that bulk around a court. When he makes a dunk, the impact when he lands must put a lot of strain on his back. Is injury stopping him from elevating like he should?

Topic #39055 | Report this topic

Greeny  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #579739 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Playing injured, down on confidence and needs to drop weight.I'd start Jervis, really like his game.

Reply #579740 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He's definitely not 100%. I think that aborted jumpball to start game 1 might have been when something happened, a heel injury or something.

Reply #579741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai has been an injury waiting to happen because he's been out of shape all season.

He's been given numerous opportunities to become a true dominate player in the nbl and possibly the booomers in RIO but his attitude towards his professional career has been awful to say the least. If he truly wanted to be selected for the boomers he would of gotten his weight down to 120kgs lead Perth in scoring, lead the nbl in rebounds then win them a grand final and on the RIO but instead he's 145kgs, can only play 3-4 minutes at a time on a good night and now he is injured.

What a waste of a true center!!

Reply #579753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai makes Ebi look like a tooth pick. Man is fat, word it how you want but that's the jist of it. He didn't lose ang weight at all this season i was so excited to see him play. Now not so much.

Reply #579756 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A litany of problems would be my guess. Seems a bit fragile mentally and reminds me of Dwight Howard - all easy when you can just coast but not so much when the right path requires out and out effort, dedication, grit. I've always wondered if this often comes with bigs who have made it in basketball because of their size rather than despite it. If you're shorter, you have to put thousands of shots up, work on your fitness, have the smarts or whatever else to beat the pack. Having serious size can get you past terrible FT shooting percentages, fitness issues and whatever else.

Reply #579760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That question should never be asked. The answer is obvious. If he isn't injured he should have been sacked a long time ago. He will be the best 6th man for the Hawks.

Reply #579764 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I watched him when he played Cairns ABA and he was a much better player back then than he is now.Athletic,chiselled and nearly unstoppable in the post.

Reply #579765 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Nate and Trevor Gleeson apparently don't get along. Jawai needs to play for a players coach like Joey Wright or someone he's familiar with like Lemanis or Fearne.

Reply #579766 | Report this post

Wicky Gwace  
Years ago

A bit butter-fingered in the paint.. coulda been Shaq but is Oliver Miller atm.

Spins himself into too much trouble and forces himself into bad shots. Should be kicking it out more when in trouble / double team to open man. He was doing that well early in the season.

Also, refs are really hard on him this year.

Can see him coming back to NBL, not sure if he can get a full time Euro gig with the season he had, but who knows, bigs are always in demand.

Hope he has a killer off season and comes back and dominates, otherwise cut him after a few games.

Reply #579788 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He's pretty clearly not healthy right now and I don't just mean the excess weight he is carrying.

Reply #579791 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's difficult to be too harsh on the guy without knowing all the issues. We know he's had to overcome serious health issues to continue his career, but I have to assume they are behind him if he's able to play professional ball.

He's clearly a big body, but that can disguise weight issues. He's reputedly still in the 145~150kg bracket, and whichever way you look at it, that's at least 20kg heavier than when he was in his prime. Rapid weight loss isn't ideal, especially for an athlete, and I know how hard it is to lose weight. But I also don't understand how a professional athlete, who must burn a huge amount of calories, can stay overweight.
Maybe his restricted game time is mirrored by a restricted training regime???

I suppose the other question is whether he has chosen to stay at that weight because the extra 20kg makes him harder to shift?

Problem is that the "extra" weight also impacts any potential injury, to his back, ankle, etc, etc.

Reply #579796 | Report this post

Wicky Gwace  
Years ago

Would rather a more mobile Jawai than a hard to shift Jawai.

Reply #579797 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He certainly looks proppy, but for all the bagging of Jawai he grabbed twice as many boards as any teammate in G2 in less than 11 minutes on the court.

Reply #579798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is more of a short burst player these days. 4 or 5 minutes a quarter off the bench. He just does not have the fitness to be a regular starter anymore. Perth need to give Jervis some of his minutes and play him to conserve his energy for the 4th.

Reply #579800 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I've been surprised with Jawai this year.

I remember ages ago he had very good footwork and although he was a tad raw he looked smooth and had great hands.

This year his footwork and hands have been all over the shop. Some of his footwork and hands this year makes it look like he has only just picked up a basketball.

Presuming this is probably brought on by the added weight..maybe just not as light on his feet.

He talked about losing weight at the start of the season but that has not happened. It's no doubt the cause of the injuries.

Reply #579839 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He certainly looks proppy, but for all the bagging of Jawai he grabbed twice as many boards as any teammate in G2 in less than 11 minutes on the court.
Yeah, I noticed that.
Obviously after game one, regaining ascendancy on the boards was a priority. Jawai seemed to respond best to that requirement.

Reply #579842 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

"I've been surprised with Jawai this year.
I remember ages ago he had very good footwork and although he was a tad raw he looked smooth and had great hands.
This year his footwork and hands have been all over the shop. Some of his footwork and hands this year makes it look like he has only just picked up a basketball."

Perhaps some people missed this at the time, but this article helps explain some of Jawai's struggles:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/luc-longley-andrej-lemanis-inspire-nate-jawais-australian-boomers-return-20150813-giytjr.html

After his serious neck injury he basically had to re-learn the game of basketball.

Reply #579858 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Injured. Out of shape. Doesnt matter.

cant see him returning to the cats based on this year (he doesnt look happy here), rumored to have a tumultuous relationship with Gleeson (who doesnt) & also based on this year - would have hurt his value & bargaining power significantly on the open market moving forward.

Reply #579863 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Who says he doesn't look happy?
His body language around the other guys is always very friendly and positive.
He doesn't look happy with some of the ref (non)calls, but thats the league not the Cats.

I don't know how much he was making in Europe, or how much the Cats are paying (rumoured to be Marquee money.) But that's going to be a consideration, along with alternatives.
If Johnson or Ogilvy decide they want to move to Perth, then Jawai will be moved on. Absent that, we'll have to wait and see.

Reply #579868 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Thanks Jez. Good article.

Reply #579870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what exactly does Nielsen do?

Reply #579886 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

I think the Cats should put a giant hamburger at the end of the court. This would make Jawai run a bit more.....as long as he doesn't eat said hamburger.

Reply #580045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The article was posted Jez. Many didn't know what the big fellas been up against.

Reply #580052 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Couple of reports I have read, and heard, seem to confirm that it's his back...
And that air-travel gives him problems...

Maybe PERTH isn't the right team for him?!?

Reply #580592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a no brainer it's his back and with all the talk about him going to Qld what's the diff in flying time? ZERO.

Reply #580593 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:31 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754