Isaac
Years ago

Olympics discussion

With the Olympics due to arrive soon, I'd just like to say that if anyone wants to discuss events/issues/sports outside of basketball, please feel free to do so.

I'll try to work something into the code so that I can easily separate these threads a bit for people who don't want to read them.

I'll kick it off with this info from the MIX FM breakfast show:

---

Joanna Griggs says the International Olympics Committee in Greece have drawn up a 'clean venue policy', which means they will prohibit fans from wearing, drinking or eating any product that is a competitor of the sponsors. Carle (radio presenter) says if people get caught, they will be 'bounced out of the Games'. She says they obviously want to protect the official sponsors who have paid millions to make the Olympics happen, which are Coca-Cola, McDonald's and Adidas. Carle says they are concerned about 'ambush marketing', like if someone from Reebok payed a whole lot of people to wear Reebok shirts and sit together. Carle says they have also ruled that members of the crowd cannot sit together wearing clothing that spells out a message. She says this is amazing. Carle says volunteers were given uniforms, but were not given shoes but have been told to wear Adidas at all times. She says they have to go and buy new shoes. Dzelde (another presenter) says he would be wearing Nike shoes in protest. Carle suggests giant blow up Nike shoes or Reeboks.

---

The mighty dollar, eh?

Topic #391 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

Don't know if any lawyers visit this forum, but can anyone confirm if this is legal? I would of thought it is within your rights to wear whatever you want (within reason) that is not offensive/racist etc. I can understand the volunteers having to wear sponsors attire but surely the IOC would have to pay for it.

Reply #2889 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

j bags get on a plane and start a class action against the IOC.

That is ridiculous... players are one thing remember the Dream Team players wearing the American Flag to cover the brand of their track suits..Reebok was it?

but stop me wearing my bonds hypercolour t shirt to watch the medal ceremony...that is against the law!!!

Reply #2893 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

As someone who has had some dabbling in the Legal proffesion, I would tell the IOC to shove those comments into a section of their bodies tht isn't currently shown to the light of day!

That is totally against the every international law!!!!! It is well within your rights not to be judged on your apperance, and if I choose to wear a T-shirt that says Nike, Reebok, Fubu, Or "F*#K you! I won't do what you tell me!!" that is a personal choice. So they have no grounds to do that!
If I have 1 mates that sit with me and we spell out "get a rat up ya!" That is offencive and you can be asked to leave. Thats all!

When it comes to sponsorship of an individual, or team that is a totally different story.

With regard to Food and beverage, I know in Australia you are permitted to consume any item (except Alcohol, due to licensing laws) at any time, at any venue. You have the right to be "refreshed" in any way you desire, and don't have to be forced to consume "x" product if you do not wish!

Common sence really.

Bags you may cross examin your witness.

Reply #2910 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

But....as the IOC "owns" the stadiums, surely they have the good old "we reserve the right to refuse entry to any person" clause, with one of the rights being that if people are wearg something they dont want in their stadium, they can refuse entry.

Same as the nightclubs denying entry coz they dont like your shoes.

They own the venue, they can decide who they want in or not.

Reply #2912 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

If they had announced this crap policy prior to tickets being sold, I would think they would be okay. I still think it is rubbish. They would not enforce it I would not think unless someone/some group is over the top.

Reply #2914 | Report this post

BJT  
Years ago

Anyone who has read the book "Lords of the Rings" (I think that's what it is called, not the fantasy book though) shouldn't be surprised about this. The IOC literally live in an enclosed world, and the only thing that is important to them is how much money they can make and who is going to give it to them (above and below the table). If you want to find out what really happens get a copy, it's a good read.

Reply #2915 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

BJT you are a worldly one.
I think I might take up your advice.

I can't see how "we reserve the right to refuse entry" is relevent to a "public" excibition. Plus if it is not written on the tickets (which I haven't seen) then I don't see how they can do this.

But you are right IOC is a law unto themselves.

Do you have the ring Frodo Bag-gins?

Reply #2917 | Report this post

Well technically bags even if it were written on the tickets they would still not necessarily be able to enforce it in a manner relating to a contractual breach, as a ticket or receipt is often not where a reasonable person would expect to find such conditions; i.e. they could not say that the dress policy was a term or condition of the purchaser's right to enter the venue. They would, however, most likely have some sort of disclaimer somewhere in the small print with the good ol' "So and so reserve the right to refuse entry..." blah blah where they would kick you out. All You could do in that case I guess (assuming they are not excessive in their actions causing harm etc) would be to sue for a breach of contract for the loss of enjoyment you would suffer through missing the event. I'm sure the IOC has a fair supply of high-price lawyers behind it though. Basically if they were being twits about it though you'd still miss the event and most likely have to go through a lengthy process to seek any form of compensation...

Oh and seeing as you have to pay admission I'm not too sure you could necessarily deem it 'public'
- the IOC are doing a great job of making a profit any way they can- maybe they should talk to our government and learn to give officials radar guns so they can hide in the bushes and give the sprinters speeding fines

Ole!

Reply #2924 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Someone's studied Law of Contract recently.... :P

Reply #2958 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Thank you for your insight Spaniard!

No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I believe everything you have stated is correct. Your Contract law is indeed, up to scratch! The title post was regarding Olympic officials trying to stop people consuming food & drink that isn't a sponsors product. Or to not allow people into the stadium that aren't wearing the correct sponsors clothing. This is Legally not allowed, due to......freedom of action (as long as tht action doesn't breech laws)! As I stated earlier if I want to wear a shirt that says "Banannas are a fun fruit!", Or NIKE or anything else that is my personal choice, and no one can stop me! hohohoho!!!

If someone did get told to leave bacuase of "we reserve the right to..." there would be such a back-lash by supporters and the brands that where banned from the games that those companies, (I feel) would fund legal action against the IOC and Addidas, coke, or whoever.

Products such as T-shirts and shoes are companies free advertising! Having those t-shirts walking around at Athens is worth 100s of 1000s of dollars to each company!

I have a bag of spanish onions!

Reply #2972 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, Paul Rogers in a photo on Athens2004.com (top left):

At least, I assume it's him.

Reply #3009 | Report this post

Horatio  
Years ago

The live footage of the Opening Ceremony had a pretty good shot of a group of Boomers. Rogers, Rillie, Ronaldson and CJ featured in that and another couple of shots I've seen. Guess it's the hair.

Reply #3014 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I am still not happy that Ronaldson was there....

Reply #3027 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree. I'd have put Schenscher in his place.

Then you've got Schenscher and Rogers in the middle with Bogut and Andersen. Let Nielsen play 3/4. Saville and Cattalini at 3. Guards are well covered.

Reply #3031 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd noticed that not too much of Channel Seven's Olympic broadcast seemed to actually be valid content.

A user at OzHoops timed the make-up of an hour of broadcast yesterday:

9 min 20 sec Olympic action
30 min of ads
20 min of promos

Amazing!

From OzHoops (courtesy of Homer), here's when to apparently tune in for basketball:

· Sun 15 Aug  Men: 7.00pm NZ vs Italy (SBS)
· Mon 16 Aug  Men: 5.15am Australia vs Greece (Channel 7)
· Tue 17 Aug  Women: 5.15am Australia vs Russia (Channel 7), Men: 6.15pm Australia vs Angola (Channel 7)
· Wed 18 Aug  Women: 6.15pm Australia vs Japan (Channel 7)
· Thur 19 Aug  Men: 9.30pm Australia vs USA (Channel 7)
· Sat 21 Aug  Men: 4.00pm Australia vs Puerto Rico (Channel 7)
. Sun 22 Aug  Women: 4.00pm NZ vs Czech Republic (SBS), Women: 9.30pm Australia vs Brazil (Channel 7)
· Mon 23 Aug  Women: 3.00am China vs USA (SBS), Men: 6.15pm Australia vs Lithuania (Channel 7)

Reply #3045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

question ....
will we ever see the NZ women play at all? just that Sturt ANGELA MARINO is in the team, and it would be great to see her play!

Reply #3046 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Watched the Opals V Nigeria yesterday and I definately ended up seeing more ads than the actual game. VERY disappointing not to mention annoying.

In regards to people sitting in the crowd spelling out words, I saw a bunch of people with letters on their tops sitting together during some event...couldnt make out what it said, letters may have been missing. Mayb the IOC couldnt monitor this policy as they thought.

Annonymous, you'll find the date for NZ in Issacs list above if you missed it.

Reply #3048 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Those times above were for the Eastern States. Here they are for SA:

6:30 pm BASKETBALL
Men's prelims: NEW ZEALAND v ITALY

4:00 am BASKETBALL
Women's: BRAZIL v GREECE (Delayed)

5:00 pm BASKETBALL
Men's: NEW ZEALAND v CHINA

10:45 pm BASKETBALL
Men's: ITALY v SPAIN

3:30 pm BASKETBALL
Women's: NEW ZEALAND v CZECH REPUBLIC

2:30 am BASKETBALL
Women's: CHINA v USA

7:00 pm BASKETBALL
Men's: SPAIN v NEW ZEALAND (Delayed)

4:45 am BASKETBALL
Women's Quarter-final 4

The Ch 7 TV guide is terrible so I can't confirm those Seven times above for Adelaide. Struggle through their site (www.seven.com.au) and look for a place to search for "basketball". It will come up with the days that might show it, but no specific times.

(Mod: Oops, forgot dates. Bit idiotic. Head to the SBS site for now!)

Reply #3050 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

The SBS coverage has been better than 7, I reckon - always the true professionals.

Reply #3075 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Did anyone see Lauren Jackson's 4th quaryter against Russia today....SIZZLING!! Fade aways, points in transition and a big three to put the game out of reach of the Ruskis. Cheers to our Media department for having the game on live in their office. Penny taylor was also good with 20+ points.

Reply #3257 | Report this post

04astatsguru  
Years ago

Who needs Channel 7. There is always Peter Walsh's lively description of the basketball games on the ABC.

Reply #3282 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754