Anonymous
Years ago

Where will Kevin Lisch play next season?

I was stunned to hear that he is apparently a free agent - Hawks only signed him for one season. Can anyone confirm this?

Allegedly his reason for returning to Australia was to be close to his wife's family who are apparently in NSW. Allegedly he approached the Sydney Kings but they wanted a different type of Import.
However my understanding is that Kevin and his
wife met and married whilst still living in Perth, so presumably fond memories of their time there.
It was reported at the time that the Wildcats were interested in getting Lisch back, but couldn't find a place with two imports already signed. Now Kevin is waiting on his application for Australian Citizenship that would allow him to play as a local.

Kevin and his wife apparently have a close friendship with Rob Beveridge, but he himself has not committed to the Hawks for next season. Rumours are that he will be offered the Sydney role, or the Boomers role, or both?

So where does that leave Kevin? Would he stay at the Hawks without Beveridge, follow him to Sydney, or follow the cash back to Perth?

Topic #39108 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Everyone on the Hawks roster is a FA.

He did approach the Kings before the season but they decided to go with Thornton. Kings wanted to go with a more "exciting" style for an import.

He wants to stay in Australia. If Bevo re-signs with the Hawks then he will as well. In saying that, Rotnei Clarke has also made it known he wants to return to the NBL next season.

Reply #581462 | Report this post

Didn't you start this same thread two weeks ago, Dazz?

Reply #581463 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

lol

Yep, Dazz covered this.

Reply #581464 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

THis post reeks of Daz

Reply #581466 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

+1

Reply #581467 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Hawks only signed him for one season"

You make it sound as though it was the Hawk's decision when in reality it probably wouldn't have been. They would have wanted to sign him for multiple years. But Lisch was the one who probably only wanted one year - he is smart. If the salary cap, marquee player signings etc rules change, what player wants to be stuck with the same wage for 3 years. If the rules increase the salary cap, he could stand to earn significantly more hence the one year deal for flexibility.

Reply #581470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The family love the Wollongong area. Rachel (Mrs Lisch for those unaware) is playing Waratah League for Illawarra in the upcoming season. I'm sure he'll do the best for his future but there are a lot of reasons for him to stay

Reply #581475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks this time last year were not even certain they would have a team, I'd say everyone got one season deals as not guaranteed of surviving.
I actually hope that most of the hawks stick to gether, it's been good for the competition.

Reply #581481 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Rotnei interested in the NBL? I hope Cairns are on the blower, would be a perfect fit.

Reply #581486 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Didn't you start this same thread two weeks ago, Dazz?
Did I?
Topics started
Should Jawai travel to NZ?
Timing of Finals Games
Points ratings of NZ NBL players?
Wildcats vs Hawks - G3 - pregame thread
What's an Assist really worth?
Bevo vs Gleeson
Is Jawai injured?
Finals Ticket prices
Wildcats vs Hawks, Game 2 - Sunday Feb 21 3pm
Player Points System - 16/17
Damian Martin - 200 Games
Does NBL Fans MVP cheapen real MVP award?
Wildcats 16/17
Australian Dolla Beal?
Ménage à trois - the 3-way tie
Final Round: - Is the Top-4 set?
Is "Monkey" Racist?

Yep, Dazz covered this.
Nope, seems I didn't.

That said, I'm sure I have made comments similar to the following in a number of threads:
Like many Cats Fans, I would have loved to see Lisch back in Perth.
Given the apparent reasons for returning to Australia, I don't see it happening, but as always I am interested to hear from those with more facts.
I try not to pretend that I am the definitive expert on every player in the NBL and beyond, and always welcome the input of those with better access to facts or better informed analysis.

Reply #581489 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

Hawk or Kings.As mentioned earlier his family is from that region and it will be unlikely he would entertain anyother offers

Reply #581492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wishful thinking Dazz. They met in Perth as Mrs. Lisch was playing for the Lynx temporarily but she is a Sydney girl.

Reply #581498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch hopefully to Perth but Sydney could really use him as a franchise culture changer

Reply #581736 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Pretty sure that Rotnei, like Kevin would be a perfect fit on any team...

Really hope that the Kings go hat in hand with a huge mea culpa and do whatever it takes to get both Kev and Bevo...

Reply #581763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think the Kings will have to announce the coach shortly or he won't get to pick his team, which you would think rules out bevo.
I'm guessing either bevo, vickerman or they'll stick with Connolly.
Lisch would be a bonus if available.

Reply #581767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch will stay with the Hawks, as will Bevo. And if Kevin naturalises as expected, the Hawks will have 3 imports to play with. Penney and AJ likely to be back too so even if they lose Coeenrad and Martin as expected, they will be able to put a super team on the floor next season.

Connelly has apparently put his hand up to coach the Kings again. As has Derek Rucker. Says a lot about how bad things are at the Kings when great coaches like Bevo and Shawn Dennis would rather sign with regional teams rather than put themselves into a horrible situation in Sydney. The Kings are an utter embarrassment and while these idiot owners continue to be in charge, nothing will change.

Reply #581774 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see how many imports Bevo goes with. I would think two, but if Lisch naturalises maybe only one.

Reply #581777 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

If you went simply off culture you'd say he returns to Hawks who looked as happy as any club in the league (Townsville were a happy team too) and Sydney easily the worst... But Kev on your books would change the culture immediately for the better.

Perth would happily have him too and so would any of the clubs in the league.

Rotnei return... Potentially Ennis... Looking forward to the next season already

Reply #581824 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:56 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754