Matthew
Years ago

Interesting Article on Sydney Kings: Family Appeal

This is just a small quote from the Article but sums it up well
:
Success also has a symbiotic relationship with appeal. That lack of winning has ultimately placed an artificial ceiling over the Kings' ambitions to expand their fan base.

"Sydney’s a fickle market," says Meagher. “When you’re winning, everyone’s on board. When you’re losing, it’s like, 'give me a call when you’re winning again’. We’re not like Melbourne. You could lose every game of the year and they’ll still turn up.”
"

http://pickandroll.com.au/violet-crumbles-rebuilding-empire/

Topic #39111 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

It's up on the Sydney Kings Facebook page too

Reply #581494 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"We're not like Melbourne. You could lose every game of the year and they’ll still turn up."

I don't think that is true at all

Reply #581496 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Sydney seems to be a tough market.
I don't really follow NRL, so I don't know if its because League and Cricket are so dominate that other sports struggle??

Reply #581501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IT'S THE WAY IT SHATTERS THAT MATTERS!

Reply #581502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who's been to Sydney know it is a very expensive place to live on all items from housing, rent food etc, there is a million things to do, that's why they probably only follow winners.

Reply #581505 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Was a great piece written by Warren after gaining access to the inner sanctum at the Kings.

Reply #581512 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

[ "We're not like Melbourne. You could lose every game of the year and they'll still turn up."

I don't think that is true at all ]

I agree, I think that would only apply to Cairns, NZ, Perth (though we're still waiting for them to have a losing season) and possibly Adelaide.

Reply #581723 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cairns crowds have traditionally fallen markedly when they're not winning.

Reply #581728 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Agree but they drop from say 5000 game day fans to 3500. That's still a pretty good figure for a losing team in a small market.

Wollongong and TSV we're dropping to under a 1000 last season.

Reply #581784 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Unfortunately, it's just a puff piece (I won't use the language used on the multiple Kings fan pages) and has a misleading title with little of note in there other than (valid) excuses that we've all heard before... Nothing about their steps moving forward and nothing else of note...

Reply #581792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that in the hey day of the Kings when they won nothing (the 90's) they were getting 10,000 people to a game.

Reply #581859 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I was waiting for it to get to something of substance but it never really got there. Was an interesting insight into the CEO but nothing about how the club is going to turn around the mess it's in, or really any acknowledgement of how it got there.

Reply #581877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately now a once great club has no substance left at all. Shameful.

Reply #582021 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I read Damien Keogh's autobiography recently. It seems the Kings have never really had any substance.

Reply #582315 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754