Dazz
Years ago

GF: Wildcats v Breakers - Game 3 - Sunday 2:30pm

Whilst I'd like to hope Perth could run away with this, everything tells me that it will be close, and the result is anyone's guess.
(Hopefully we can dispense with the normal 40+ posts of "team A have no chance/ team B will smash em".)

I feel that the way the games were reffed differed from game 1 to game 2. What's important is that the Cats need to start aggressively then adapt to however the game is being called. They must also dispense with the careless reaching in fouls, especially when they have already put NZ in the bonus.

Jervis needs to get his shit together. Throughout the season I have been amongst those saying that he's good enough to start, but he has gone MIA in this series. He needs to go harder on offence, and be less movable on D. Getting backed under the basket by a wimp like Wesley is not acceptable. Perth have the manpower to dominate Pledger, Vukona, and Jackson, but they need everyone to go hard and play their part. Especially against Jackson. He is soft as butter and foul prone, but he gets to many easy baskets and boards when Perth leave him alone to just wander in the back door.

Beal was better in G2, but his shot selection needs to improve. He can't be shooting 22%.
Cats need to figure a way to get Prather into the game as early as possible, and bricking up 3s isn't the answer. NZ are very good at blocking the keyway, making it hard for him to do his usual penetration. Need to figure out a way to capitalise on his speed advantage.

And I'd be using Redhage more. Clearly this guy is motivated. I almost sense that he's been saving himself for this final effort. In that 4 minute burst in the 3rd quarter, he almost turned the game on its head. Use him in bursts, but give him 3~4 minutes a quarter if he's up to it.

Topic #39113 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

Single seats available only. This could set a record for attendance. Will be tough for NZ to get this one, they may have had a longer break before the series but after all the travel they have done I expect that advantage to be somewhat diminished. Home court advantage has been big all year and I really hope 14000 ppl are enough to get Perth over the line. This one ain't going to be pretty.

Reply #581749 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

There will be more seats available when the Members pre-sale ends.

Reply #581751 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Can't see many members passing up their seats for a deciding GF match on a Dunday though. If there's many, no doubt they will be snapped up quickly.

Reply #581752 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure that even members who can't attend would be purchasing their seats for friends/rellies.

It's not single seats left only though. I can see groups of 10 still available in a few blocks atm.

Reply #581753 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Really ? I got single seats only showing up in all categories when I just checked now. Maybe a browser issue.

Reply #581754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is too close to call, both teams don't mind the grind but think the Breakers have more chance of a higher scoring offense. So considering it's hard to break down too much when there is only 40 minutes left, if all things are equal, I'll take Breakers and think they found some hard earned belief after keeping the Cats to 68 and getting the win.

Reply #581755 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Wesley a wimp? :face palm:

Reply #581756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You write a biased cats thread and call out everyone else to not turn it in to a 'my team will win thread', not the smartest in the shed Dazz.

Reply #581757 | Report this post

Victorian Wildcat  
Years ago

we need to get off to a good start like we did in game 1, get the crowd into it. Can't afford to give NZ a sniff.

Reply #581759 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

If there is any team that can pull off the w, it is the breakers. Nothing in it, all depends on the tempo the refs are going to call the game.

Leaning towards perth, being at home, if the decider was in Nz, then it would be the breakers.

Reply #581762 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

I for one am glad we have home court advantage in game 3. A question though: what if the game was is neutral territory? What would be your pic to win and game MVP? (Not series MVP- game MVP of played in neutral territory). Just wondered because if you think about it, there have been times the AFL grand final has been played without any Victorian teams.

For me, I think honestly the wildcats would win, only based on this season where we had the better overall road record. Would be a very tight game.

Reply #581766 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Perth haven't won on the road for a while and their road record isn't flash so if the game was for instance played in Sydney I would pick NZ to win.

Luckily for the Wildcats it is being played in Perth and I too think they'll be hard to beat at home.
At least I didn't have to watch them cut down the nets and celebrate in the NSEC.

Hopefully Jawai will struggle with all the travel and will be a non factor and Prather can continue to be invisible.
NZ will need to shake their shooting funk and start hitting some shots to have a hope.

Reply #581768 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I think the breakers will win.

Sounds silly but I don't believe Perth has had that good a year.
Rubbish on the road and have seemed very shaky at home a few times.

The main issue is the offence and the lack of quality sets to bring Prather into the game. Aside from a 5 minute stretch in game 1 when they used Jawai correctly, they really haven't run any decent offence for the series.

Reply #581771 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

^ hmmm interesting that you think Perth hasn't had a good year, yet they finished 2nd. A bit of personal bias there? It could be argued even more that New Zealand had a crap year, apart from their recent form.
Yes, Prather needs to lift, as does Jervis. It can't be underestimated the brilliant job that Abercrombie has done on Prather.
I think Webster is likely to improve but won't be the game breaker as such. His form in second half of season hasn't been up to his standards. It comes down to the Jackson duo and Vukona in my opinion. Perth stops them and Perth wins.
I for one am praying that Prather revitalises his A game, Jawai continues to give his best like he has in this series and Martin destroys Jackson's influence on the game. Beal's defence has to pick up and his ball handling and shot selection down the wire is crucial.
Either way, hopefully game 3 is a little more free-flowing and allows both teams players to give it their all. May the best team win.

Reply #581773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yet perth has looked the better team Without aNy offence.

Reply #581775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll be watching weth my fesh and cheps and sheeps.

Reply #581779 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

There is no bias.
Tell me about the offence Perth has been running?
What sets do they go to to bring Prather, Beal, Jawai into the game?

Reply #581781 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hard to know what & how frequently we ran a set for Prather because every time he touched the ball yesterday he crapped himself.

Reply #581782 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

I think they need to utilise some sets for Prather a whole lot better, with some screens to help shake Abercrombie. Was it not obvious the number of sets created for Jawai esp in game 1?

Reply #581785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is Gleeson wants to use Jawai hand off big on the top of the key instead of posting him up underneath the bucket.

Reply #581786 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Cats 4 life,

"If any team can pull off the w, its the breakers"

And the Townsville Crocs ;)

Reply #581787 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

MU pulled the cats pants down in Perth too :)

Reply #581790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are ticket sales going?

Reply #581791 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Just released another 1,100 tickets. There are a lot of kiwis that live here. Sure they will be out in force.

Reply #581794 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

So approximately how many sold so far?

Reply #581795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Melbourne won in Perth.
and Illawarra won in NZ.
Can't we dispense with the irrelevancies now?
You hate Perth and everyone it it, we get it. Now we're in the GF and you're having an emotional breakdown, sympathies. Good news is this will be a close game, and there's every chance Perth will lose and that will give you some twisted "closure."

Reply #581800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai can still be a dominante big but Gleeson refuses to use him right. Perth can be unstoppable if they start using him right. If they get the ball in his " sweet spots" he can virtually score or go to the free throw line all the time.

Gleeson however feels he should be used as a hand off big on top of the key or a passer in the post.

Reply #581802 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Wesley a wimp? :face palm:

Sorry, no offence intended. Sometimes I get a bit too theatrical.
It was simply intended as criticism of Jervis. He's been very ineffective this series, and I was referring to a particular play where Jervis allowed himself to be EASILY pushed around by a player with a significant height disadvantage.
For the record, Wesley, like a lot of his teammates, is fierce competitor.

Jervis performances during this season have been impressive for a bench player who gets limited minutes. Leading some of us to speculate that he's goo enough to start, if Jawai doesn't stay. But going MIA in the Grand Final is not a good look. I don't know whether he's simply overawed, afraid of fouling, or what, but we could really do with him going harder tomorrow.

Reply #581803 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Jervis allowed himself to be EASILY pushed around by a player with a significant height disadvantage.
Being shorter is an advantage when it comes to pushing; you have a lower centre of gravity.

Reply #581804 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

You write a biased cats thread and call out everyone else to not turn it in to a 'my team will win thread', not the smartest in the shed Dazz.
How is it a "biased Cats thread"?
It's a thread to discuss the game, which by its very nature requires opinions from all sides. Such threads can and have been started by anyone, it just happened to be me on this occasion. If you're referring to my POST being about the Cats, WTF do you expect??? You really want ME writing about the Breakers?
All I have suggested is that people talk about the game, players, match-ups, tactics, etc. If you have opinion to contribute, you're not just welcome, it's not "my" thread it's everyones.

Reply #581806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Zealand will be awfully tough to beat. Too much championship pedigree. Prather will need to find avenues to the hoop if there cats want to win. More transition basketball needed?

Reply #581812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ wont be awefully tough to stop. They hit some lucky shots and got outplayed on there own floor for the most part.Not to mention the lopsided free throw count. So far Perth has looked the superior side.

Reply #581820 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'll be going to the game tomorrow but already I can say that I don't think I'll be putting either in 'greatest team of all time' calculations which seems weird as this season was so competitive.

Game 2 was so bloody ugly to watch and I'll happily boo the Wildcats if they look lacklustre or make those silly bloody turnovers.

I think Perth will win and Jesse Wagstaff is becoming absolutely crucial to this contest, if he stays aggressive and out of foul trouble then he will get us cutting down the net.

Reply #581822 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Looking forward to this immensely.

Fans for both teams should be very nervous!!

Reply #581844 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wildcats $1.35
Breakers $3.21

Wildcats by 1-10 $2.55
Wildcats by 11+ $2.75
Breakers by 1-10 $4.25
Breakers by 11+ $8.00

Margin -5.5 points
Over/Under 159.5

Reply #581846 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I hate sports betting (bad for sport IMO). BUT those odds seem crazy.

Only an idiot would get after $1.35....wowee

Reply #581847 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah I'm not going near the Wildcats at those odds.
Contemplating a consolation prize bet on NZ.

Reply #581850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That last anon post is a scared one. Trying to defend a teams performance in a loss is never good. Free throw count excuse at this time of year, think the Breaker playoff predigree aspect is something the cats need to fear.

Reply #581852 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hopefully the Cats themselves aren't fearing it, but as a fan, yes, I do feel like the Breakers have a slight psychological edge over us when it comes to big games.
There have been other circumstances at play (i.e. injuries and/or being the inferior regular season team) contributing to that history, but it's still something that would be nice to put an end to today.

Reply #581855 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

They're showing the game at 11pm? Really?

Reply #581858 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

$3.35? I'm having $10,000 of that. Crazy. I think NZ should start favorites. My odds NZ $1.65 Perth $2.80

Reply #581860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I'm not mistaken the cats and breakers have played 6 times this season with the home team winning every time. So it's not that outrageous for the cats to be a favorite here

Reply #581866 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The interesting thing to remember is that these "odds" offered by bookies only reflect the bets the public has placed. So that means there has been a lot bet on Perth, and not much on NZ.
Which on this occasion I find weird.
Hypothetically, if I was given a free bet, at equal odds, I would tip Perth. Just. I certainly wouldn't put any of my own money on it.
(In fact if I were given a free bet at these odds, I would pick NZ, just for the better return.)

Reply #581867 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Best of luck to the Wildcats and their fans.
Hopefully the refs let the players decide the game but both teams are their own worst enemies when it comes to fouling with their gambling defence and physicality.
I also hope all the travel hasn't affected the players and we are treated to an awesome game.

Reply #581876 | Report this post

You too mystro. Whoever wins, it will be thoroughly deserved and no excuses about injuries, refs etc are needed from anyone. it's been a good series.

Reply #581879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What time does it start in VIC? Getting different times on different sites. Also looks like it's not on FTA for vic. Thanks

Reply #581881 | Report this post

thomnuffy  
Years ago

I don't know if I agree that it's been a good series. Game two was seriously ugly to watch.

I found myself in the last quarter thinking that I wouldn't want the cats to win it on such a scrappy game...

Reply #581883 | Report this post

Good, as in even and close games. Tense for fans of both teams. Not always the greatest basketball though.

Reply #581885 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agree, it has been super tense and scrappy with lots of bricks and turnovers.
Hopefully we are treated to a free flowing shootout for the decider with plenty of highlights.

May the best team win and no excuses.

Reply #581888 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Some of the reffing always puzzles me, but at the end of the day it is what it is and teams need to adapt.
Jawai will probably be really sore, but again, he is what he is. If he were fitter & leaner he'd still be playing in Europe.
Besides, I think all players from both teams will be somewhat knackered by the end of this series.

I really think this game will come down to sheer mental toughness, and players ability to step-up and deliver in finals. That is what we have seen New Zealand do, year after year.
For the Cats, Damo is certainly doing it, and we saw signs from Redhage in game 2.

I am more than happy with the Cats season, come what may. But, at risk of sounding like the haters I dislike, I'd like to see that Cats win just so its not "NZ again."

That said, if NZ do win "again" it will be because of the strength of their program, and (as mentioned) the character of their players and ability to go the extra mile in finals. If some of that is down to "National Pride" then good on them.
I don't want to hear any more of that tripe about them being the TB's or a national team.

Reply #581891 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol, 5 minutes to tip off. Pumped for a good game here.
Don't let me down cats & breakers!!

Reply #581893 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Likewise if the Cats win NZ were bloody lucky their cards fell the way they did and they even made the playoffs after their stellar losing streak.
Perth were the more consistent team throughout the regular season an earned home court advantage which NZ have benefited from previously.
I'm just thankful both teams are at full strength but the NBL and Fox have somewhat handed the players a hospital pass with the finals schedule.

Reply #581894 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

NZ can't buy a basket, Perth probably lucky it's 2-2 right now.

Reply #581895 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Wow, refs swallowed the whistles early

Reply #581896 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good sign Abercrombie being so aggressive on the road.

Reply #581897 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perth not respecting Webster's long jumper... Understandable after games 1 and 2.

Reply #581898 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Abercrombie is all class.

Reply #581899 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

My god, Abercrombie was robbed then!

Reply #581900 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

4 seconds ran off the clock while the ball was dead and the breakers were waiting to inbound......What a joke.

Reply #581901 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I would love to see Vukona just level Redhage right before the final whistle, send him into retirement in style.

Reply #581902 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

+1

Reply #581903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

silly foul by redhage

Reply #581904 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Abercrombie's hang-time on those jumpers though...

Reply #581905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

finally the beast is awake

Reply #581907 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Martin flopping all over the place. Losing a bit of my respect.

No way NZ win this.

Reply #581908 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Why is Martin flopping??

Far too good a player for that.

Twice already

Reply #581909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nz better watchout

Reply #581910 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ need to regain some composure and quit the complaining.

Reply #581911 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

You can't defend the post in this league. Offensive player has too much of an advantage. Jawai can bump all over the place but a small bump from Pledger and its a foul.

Thats not suggesting bias reffing BTW. Just bad policy and interpretation generally.

Reply #581912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

damo pulling jakson's down

Reply #581913 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

It's pretty cowardly when refs answer a player's questioning of a call with, "I wasn't on the play", or "I didn't call it."

How about you man up and own the decision of your crew rather than passing the buck.

Reply #581914 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Martin gets away with so much contact on the perimeter on defense.

Reply #581915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

martin playing epic half

Reply #581917 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Martin is gonna be the finals MVP if the Cats win. Has come up with some huge plays again today.

Reply #581918 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pretty sloppy half from NZ. Too many turnovers and settling for the 3 ball too much.

Reply #581919 | Report this post

Victorian Wildcat  
Years ago

Martin may get away with a bit, however Cedric and webster lead with an arm, which probably stops it from being called.

Reply #581921 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

NZ don't deserve to win this. Turnovers, missed D rebounds etc. Own worst enemies.

Reply #581922 | Report this post

Paulo  
Years ago

New Zealand shouldn't be there. This is a fire gone conclusion.

Reply #581923 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Never realised before just how disadvantageous the double-foul rule can be to the team with possession.
Not sure how you'd fix it though.
(and not complaining, the rule is what it is, and its otherwise fair.)

I just hope that that NZ don't win by 1~2 points, or that "goal tend" will be bitched about for years.

Reply #581924 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I wish neither team could win this. Shaping up to a real disappointing finish to what was a pretty great season overall.

Reply #581925 | Report this post

Victorian Wildcat  
Years ago

We have to defend the pick and roll better. Abercrombie is killing us, maybe play zone for a while.

Reply #581926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it wasn't for abercombie perth would be up by 20

Reply #581927 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I love Lisch, but Damo is STILL the best defensive player in the league.

Reply #581928 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

There's only one guy in the NBL who could bring the Breakers home in this situation..Mitch Norton.

Reply #581930 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

3rd quarter will be telling (as always)
game is far from over

Reply #581931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damo wow

Reply #581932 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Well this series is going to finish just like 99% of people thought it would.

Reply #581933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

20 point game. perth are the new champs

Reply #581934 | Report this post

Big Kev  
Years ago

Reply #581935 | Report this post

Big Kev  
Years ago

NZ are an embarrassment. How good at the Cats!

Reply #581936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

now 17. ok score board was wrong

Reply #581937 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Awful awful awful spectacle

Reply #581938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this game is not over

Reply #581939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damo with the cross over. harden martin

Reply #581940 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No one even touched Martin on that drive?

Reply #581941 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ playing die by the 3

Reply #581942 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

The Breakers have 33 points after 25 minutes of basketball. This game IS done.

Reply #581943 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Shitful refereeing

So many home town calls.

Reply #581944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson has checked out. you can he wont be a breaker next season.

Reply #581945 | Report this post

Big Kev  
Years ago

Wildcats would beat them even with one arm tied behind theirs backs.

Reply #581946 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This is getting harder and harder to watch. Feel really sorry for Vickerman and NZ.

Massive home cooking.

Reply #581947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tell he wont be a breaker

Reply #581948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has been the better team. you cant blame the refs for perth being better

Reply #581949 | Report this post

Paulo  
Years ago

Perth by 30?

Reply #581950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth defence is just incrdible

Reply #581951 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

You can blame the refs for giving the Wildcats a buffer that they turned into a blowout, though.

Not that NZ have played particularly well since Webster was sat down in the 1st Q, but it's naive to say that the refs haven't had an impact.

Reply #581952 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

The Breakers are as rattled as I have ever seen them for years. They are done and they know it already.

Reply #581953 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Vickerman needs to get the fucking rookies off the floor!

Reply #581954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dennis commetti with the retro look

Reply #581955 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

NZ rattled.

Refs on Marvins payroll.

Reply #581956 | Report this post

Paulo  
Years ago

Only went to 3rd game to line Perths coffers. 15,000 people today. No way they were going to let that $$$ go.

Reply #581957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think ced looks like I've had enough on his face

Reply #581958 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Home cooking!!

Reply #581959 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ may as well walk and catch an early flight home. This game is terrible from a breakers perspective. Rattled doesn't even begin to describe it.

Vickerman should be playing the starters into the ground not the rookies.

Reply #581960 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hate that charge rule when the ball has already been passed from the hands. They just expect a guy to stop on a dime?

Reply #581961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth master class defensive exhibition

Reply #581962 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's little wonder why the league was so close this year with the way the NBL refs favor home teams all throughout the year - probably the only thing about NBL refereeing that is consistent. Hard to win on the road against 8.

Reply #581963 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Reminds me of game 3 of 2014 NBL GF series when Perth beat Adelaide by 35 odd.

Same type of game

Reply #581964 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Congrats to the Wildcats and their fans. I'm not even going to bother watching the rest of this embarrassment.

Reply #581965 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

I cannot believe vickerman has played shae ili for 10 minutes in the first 3 quarters of a game 3 of a grand final series and he has done nothing of use. you simply cannot have both webster and cedric off the court at the same time when you're down by bloody 20!!! are you kidding me vickerman. pathetic.

Reply #581966 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

No surprise..... Cats with less fouls when in Perth.

And the sooks of Game 2 are nowhere to be found.

Point is, when the Cats do lose, their coach is a tosser who cant handle losing.
When they win, its all "hail me...Im the greatest"

#loser

Reply #581967 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Awful GF series.

Tempted to flick it off.

Reply #581968 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

TVs all across NZ have changed channels.

Reply #581969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its the intimidation factor. No one will win in Perth. Has to be home advantage. The league rules created by the previous cronies was set up for their success along with the ref formula. Haven't even bothered to watch it as it was obvious all season and the last 10 years what was going to happen. Bring on Champions league for some real fun. Sick of NBL dodginess.

Reply #581970 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Lowest 3/4 score in NZ's history. Incredibly disappointing game 3.

Rucker and Heal enormously critical of NZ's coaching and you'd have to agree with them. Their offense is a disgrace and they'd made zero adjustments.

Reply #581971 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What gets me about that call on Charles Jackson is that Knight has been bumping cutters with more force all night.

Reply #581972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perth are terrible at the line. under 50%

Reply #581973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best team in the league has won.

Reply #581974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The hawks are the second best team followed by nz and the crappy united

Reply #581975 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

NZ have played absolutely horrendous but the commentary has been way too harsh and way too critical of NZ. Its not in very good taste.

Massive credit to Perth. They'll win the next 5 finals..no one is beating them next season..especially if the new changes do come in.

Reply #581976 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Deepest team in the league won, I think Hawks were the best overall - just unlucky to have shat the bed in game 3.

Reply #581977 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Where are those stats showing the foul discrepancies for each team?

Bit hard expecting Vickerman to play Ced Jackson in the 3rd when he had 4 fouls. And his 4th foul involved lightly stroking Damian Martin with his pinky finger.
Bball fans deserve better.

Reply #581978 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Can anyone give a logical explanation as to why Vickerman has decided to give Ili so many minutes and only give Bartlett one single freaking minute?!?!

Boggles the mind.

Reply #581979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets be realistic if it wasn't for a couple of fluke shots by nz in game 2 perth would have won in 2

Reply #581980 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I meant foul discrepancies home vs away. Was discussed on these forums earlier in the season.

Reply #581981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If perth can somehow get beal as a local and they snare Ennis lookout.

Reply #581982 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The only person who is choking more than NZ right now is Hughwood.

Reply #581983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth just dominating

Reply #581984 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Lets be realistic if it wasn't for a couple of fluke shots by nz in game 2 perth would have won in 2".

Thats so illogical ive lost brain cells just reading that. No shot is a fluke unless its a 3/4 quarter heave which none of them were. How were Abercrombies and Websters 3s late in game 2 flukes? (Never mind the fact that they shoot hundreds of shots everyday).

Reply #581985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a basketball mafia. Seen so much this season that beggars belief. With so much money now on the line I am wondering. Still can't believe 34 minutes for any guard no matter who they are with no fouls in a finals series game.

Reply #581986 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Martin demands a replay, nice of the refs to oblige.

Reply #581987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cry me a river

Reply #581988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CHAMPIONS!

Reply #581989 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Well, that was pretty awful. Bring on next season.

Reply #581990 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Well done to Perth from all us here in NZ.

Fantastic organisation in all respects andthe absolute benchmark on and off the court.

Enjoy gents!

Reply #581991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHA JAWAI SAID NO ONE LIKES US. LOL

Reply #581992 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The only person who is choking more than NZ right now is Hughwood.

He's on an AFL squad, I feel like he wouldn't care

Reply #581993 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Jawai was correct!!

Reply #581994 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

For the love of god keep Ennis off this team!. We want/need a fair comp.

Reply #581995 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Greenwood probably on more $$$ than the Wildcats were offering, too. I'm sure he's fine.

Reply #581996 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ideal Perth situation: Beal naturalise, league go to three imports, Perth bring in Ennis/Prather/Lisch, rest of the league joins the ASEAN league.

Reply #581997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THIS GUY TALKS TO MUCH

Reply #581998 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

110% deserved Damo as the finals MVP. He made some huge plays all series.

Reply #581999 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol, damo the bogan!

Reply #582000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANGUS H. Spot on mate. Long term plan started years ago for domination. Its just bot cricket... Becoming boring and it isn't even good to watch. Some of the most entertaining games were from Crocs, Sixers and Hawks this season. It's become a big mans thugs game but when so many get off on UFC you can see why many want a more physical less skilled game far from Naismiths rules and what he aimed to get out of the game which was so much more than basketball. Doubt he would be pleased with the direction if the NBL right now.

Reply #582001 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Wow. As a Cats Fan I love when a game turns out like that. It was always a (slim) chance, but just stoked to see it happen.

As I said before the game, it was a matter of players standing up.
Led by Martin, just awesome, this is HIS championship.
Jawai, despite his issues and his injuries, has stood up when needed in this final series.
Redhage, the Veteran, stood up when it counted.
Knight, not many points, but monstered the boards.
Jervis, kept out of it for two games finally got involved.
Prather, almost MIA for 2 games, just kept plugging away to lead his teams scoring.

It's nice to get one back from NZ, with the HCA that we earned through the season.
But in fairness to NZ, they just looked knackered. They competed early, but after that their shots weren't dropping, they weren't getting the boards, etc.

Reply #582002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game 2 slugfest took everything out of the Breakers. They spent every bit of fuel they had to win that while Perth with a deeper team had another gear in them.

Reply #582003 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

In game 2, Perth committed a lot of careless reaching-in fouls, and the refs called them, I don't think you can call that home-cooking.

This time around, yes there's always a couple of contentious calls, but then the Breakers just got tired and sloppy.

Anybody who thinks you can blame a 23 point drubbing on the refs, is just twisted.

Reply #582004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson got a epic ass whooping from Damo. By his body language I think we might have seen the last of Cedric as a Breaker. Considering the off the court issues and the events that took place I think other teams should be calling his agent

Reply #582005 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Jackson has been one of the pre-eminent PGs in the league so far this decade. Whilst this hasn't been his best year, he did a great job of leading his team in game 2. I think his game today was just symptomatic of the Breakers as a whole. I think they spent everything in game 2.

Reply #582008 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

What I liked best about this final series was the way both teams look to establish their interior games, ahead of and to set up their perimeter game.

Well done to Perth, well deserved and of course well done to the Breakers who looked out of finals contention earlier in the season, huge effort.

United and Hawks relied on their shooting and it wasn't good enough, long live the post game!

Reply #582009 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yes Ced got mauled tonight. In saying that, how many times has he mauled other PGs? A: a lot.

Damos pure class though so no shame in being locked by him.

Reply #582011 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I wonder if Redhage will retire? This is his 3rd Ring, and he's 35. He's been a great player for the Cats, and his number will be deservedly retired. He may decide to go out on a high.

Reply #582013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I've been saying for a while if Perth wants to start running a solid offensive set, get the ball into the post first then if Jawai dosent have positon throw it out and re- establish position and lob it back into in him. That also opens the perimeter game when they double him.

Gleeson to his credit finally used him right. If Perth can get him somewhat healthy and he commits to Perth and a strict diet regime in the offseason he could be devastating weapon for them.

Jawai would be a fool to leave Perth with all that resources at their disposal to get him into a solid playing shape and get the most out of his career from here on.

Reply #582014 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Was always the risk of a shitty game 3 with that scheduling. Thank goodness for Abercrombie or else ... yikes ... NZ may have had a sub-50 total.

Reply #582019 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Finally we beat NZ in a finals series. Perths defence was cray cray. I feel for NZ , having to make the Perth -NZ trip in 5 days is tough. Might have played out differently if the games were further apart.

The atmosphere was awesome today, honestly didn't think we would win this.

Reply #582032 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Absolutely amazing day out. Damo, what can you say, total man-crush.

Reply #582036 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'd totally have Damos babies if I had the correct organs lol

Reply #582042 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Started watching the replay, and it's crazy to see Webster score his 7th pts before the end of the 1st quarter, and know that he never scores again. 3/5 shooting to 3/13 shooting.

Have to extend some plaudits to Tom Abercrombie and Charles Jackson. Had great games. Charles Jackson has been a great addition to the NBL this season, entertaining and effective.

Was a Lazarus-like performance for NZ to come from that long mid-season losing streak, seemingly out of contention, and then still end up in Gm 3 of a GF.

A lot of this result came down to who played who in the Semis...

Reply #582046 | Report this post

Commiserations to mystro and MACDUB. I'm as shocked by that result as you are. I thought your big game experience would count for a lot more.

Reply #582051 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Body language for NZB through the game was surprisingly bad, even early on. I do wonder if there was an element of 36ers in '14, home court defended, whatever happens now, happens.

On the other hand, I do think that this Wildcats team would rather die than lose a Game 3, and everything but winning can go hang, so that may be an intimidating attitude to run into!

Reply #582055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some good Cats quotes in this article

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nbl-grand-final-reactions-from-perth-wildcats-players-and-coaches-after-title-win/news-story/c4c3ef31ca2b06d0360d49f3d4c678ef

"Damo in this finals series... he went to another level. I've played on the same team as him for 14 years and I’ve never seen him play like this. It just lifted us so much."
- Matt Knight

Reply #582057 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Body language for NZB through the game was surprisingly bad, even early on. I do wonder if there was an element of 36ers in '14, home court defended, whatever happens now, happens.

As a Fan I always hoped for an enjoyable easy win like that, but I was extremely pleasantly surprised when it transpired.
For the Breakers, perhaps they had given their all in game 2, scored a narrow victory, and just felt they didn't have enough in the tank to come back to Perth and win again. I felt they were competitive early, but once things started to go Perth's way, the strain began to show.

Let's not overlook the impact of our tail. Redhage is an experienced Veteran, Hire is now an experienced NBL player and a strong rebounder, whilst Kenny is an experienced international player. Between them these guys have averaged almost 32 minutes per game during the finals.
In contrast, Bartlett, Te Rangi, and Ili, averaged just over 20. That's a bigger burden on your core players.

Reply #582058 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Overall though, Cedric Jackson picked a hell of a day to produce what must be his worst ever professional game. And Webster going completely invisible scoring wise from the 1st Qtr... (seriously, 3/5 in 1st, 0/10 2nd-4th Qtrs).

Reply #582059 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Well done Wildcats. They remain the model franchise for the rest of the league to envy.

Reply #582063 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Great win yesterday, good to see tall poppy syndrome is alive and well.

I'll be the first to admit after watching us at different times this year i wasn't sure we could win it. Too many times we looked uninterested. But we stepped up when it mattered, something others couldn't do.

Things fell our way in the finals, with United's team of individual's not being able to play as a team, giving us home court advantage, this played a huge role in yesterday's win.

And people can whine about home court calls, that happens at every venue, don't kid yourself that it doesn't.

Reply #582075 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well done Wildcats.

Despite my misgivings about the reffing, the Cats were clearly the better team on the day.

And the Cats were probably the best team all season too, given that United got a few close wins that could have gone either way.

Reply #582077 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

Super happy- championship number 7, Damo MVP and we beat our hoodoo team the Breakers to do it!

Despite the score line, I take my hat off to New Zealand. They have done an awesome job in the finals, apart from the second half of yesterday's game. The sad thing to see was the team chemistry start to disintegrate just before half time. The Breakers are normally such a close knit unit, but was obvious things just weren't clicking right, especially between Cedric and Webster. Charles Jackson didn't have his usual 'hypeness' which was a shame as have enjoyed watching him this year. Abercrombie continues to be an absolute legend and along with Vukona really are the heart and soul to that team.

It's a shame that after a year of being one of the most consistent teams this year, that people on this forum can't actually break free from their hatred of the wildcats and actually congratulate them. I am a passionate supporter of the cats since 88 (yes 1988) and am super proud of them. I don't degrade other teams or their supporters, even in situations when it would have been well and truly called for. Yes I admit there are probably a minority few that spoil it for the rest of the RedArmy, just as much as the other teams. Claims for example how we whinge when we lose about the refs, yep whinge as much as others do about their own teams rough deals with the refs. It's also funny that other team supporters get on the bandwagon against the wildcats, and then try to claim they aren't being biased. I truly believe some people here have to get a grip on reality and stop shit kicking the wildcats organisation, the players and its supporters. They have had success because they have built on success. Just like the Breakers and in years gone past the Kings, the Tigers, the Bullets, the 36ers etc. All have built dynasties through building on success.

Anyway upwards and onwards to next season. I for one will be hoping my team manages a back to back championship year but know in my heart, we are now the hunted. Wishing all your teams an awesome off season. This year was a close one, and looking forward to next season being even more competitive.

Reply #582096 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

By all means, congrats to the Wildcats. They play team basketball, they play good defense. They were the best team all season (ie: considering the season as a whole) and they thoroughly deserved to win.

But- that doesn't mean the reffing in yesterday's game was fair. That is a different discussion and a discussion that needs to be had.

Reply #582099 | Report this post

Funny, when people tried to discuss the reffing advantage that United had during the season, you feigned ignorance and didn't see the relevance. Stop being a sore loser, LV. Even less people will take you seriously now.

Reply #582100 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Well, that sucks.
I set the TBox to record the game last night.
It set for channel 90, the recording is called National Basketball League on GEM. I turned it on to watch it, and it has recorded 2 hours of GO. Even though it's called GEM and is channel 90.
Not happy.

Reply #582130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry you didn't miss anything. Great season for NBL besides the late time slot for the biggest game of the season, that can't ever happen again. Annoyed the Cats won it, more so for the arrogant supporter base than the players themselves at this stage. More reason for Damo to jump ship now then ever, what more can he achieve there?

Reply #582145 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Back to Back Championships? I dont see Damian Martin leaving now.

We would likely erect a Statue of him outside Perth Arena if he wanted one.

Reply #582150 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Perth supporters are arrogant, really anon, just for the exercise can you nominate a sporting organisation whose supporters are humble, that have a winning culture that is?

Reply #582151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They just seem to get under the skin differently to some of the others teams fans. Is what it is. The team deserved it though, convincing win in game 3

Reply #582153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You shouldn't judge the Perth supporters on the comments of the few who get on here and rabbit on. We're no different to any other supporter base and give as much as our team takes when travelling.
There are two types of supporters;
1. Wildcat supporters
2. Losers

WTF. I know where I'd rather be.

Reply #582164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are Wildcats fans known as arrogant? We love our team and we love to talk about them, I don't think that makes us arrogant.

Reply #582174 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Just so immensely proud of what the boys achieved. They were good throughout the year, and stepped up when it counted. Considering how slowly Prather started this season, and the injuries to Damo, I never dreamt of another flag early on.
And gotta give credit to Jawai. With his issues and his injury, I assumed he would struggle to have an impact in this series, but he too stepped up when it mattered.

Reply #582193 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't believe your average Wildcats Fan is "arrogant," but we do live on a different "plane" to everyone else, and that really irks some people.
We have won a lot more championships than anybody else, and we have also not missed the finals for 30 years. That creates higher expectations from us, and yeah some people see that as "arrogant."
Whilst we thought the decade between 2000 and 2010 was lean, we were still competitive and still made the finals every year.
Yet when we bombed out in the semis for the upteenth year, we moaned and groaned. And yeah, for Fans whose team was struggling just to be competitive, that was annoying.

When we won in 2010, that was awesome and I don't think many begrudged us. When we won again in 2014, our dominance again became an issue. Now we have had yet another Cats v NZ GF, and not surprisingly many people are starting to wish for something different.

It probably doesn't help to hear even the commentators gushing about Perth, what a great program we have, and how the Red Army are the "best fans in the land."
We DO have the biggest, loudest crowds in the league, and to some extent its ok to be proud of that.
The problem is that the question of "what would happen to Perth crowds if we sucked and won the wooden spoon for a few years?" has never been put to the test. There are those who contend that we would struggle like anybody else, and in the absence of empirical evidence, denying it can also be seen as "arrogant."

Reply #582217 | Report this post

GM  
Years ago

Hopefully, given how weakened he looked during the post game celebrations, there is continuity plans in place for the passing of Jack Bendat. Nothing rocks the boat like the death of a patriarch

Reply #582259 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Chalmers on the Contrary, it's classless behaviour to sit here and accuse me of being a sore loser. Your team just won the championship, so just enjoy that without throwing out silly insults at others.

I have said congrats to the Cats. Let me repeat: They deserved to win. They were the best team of the regular season, they were the best team of the playoffs and they were comfortably the best team on Sunday. They are the envy of supporters of other clubs around the country (like me).

However, as a *basketball fan* I want to see *good games*. Sunday’s game was not a good game. You would’ve enjoyed it immensely, of course, as any Perth fan should have. But as a basketball spectacle it wasn’t great. Now, there are several reasons for that and one of them I would suggest is the NBL scheduling. If we put tired players on the court, who have played two games and flown for at least 12.5 hours (probably 17+ hours of overall travel time) within the past four days, then it shouldn’t be a surprise if we see a scrappy, sloppy game.

Another reason, of course, is that NZ weren’t up to the task and this was partly due to Perth’s brilliant defense and partly because NZ just didn’t bring their best game. Especially Webster, and Jackson whose performances are crucial to their success.

But- another reason for the poor spectacle was the poor reffing. It was inconsistent and it favoured one team. The reffing was also inconsistent throughout the NBL season because the refereeing interpretations changed from the beginning of the season to the end. Anybody who plays basketball at any level will tell you that consistency is the number one thing refs need to bring. The NBL needs to improve all of this. That’s absolutely worth discussing if we’re serious about creating a top shelf basketball competition in this country.

Reply #582337 | Report this post

"it's classless behaviour to sit here and accuse me of being a sore loser."

Hmm, calling someone out for being a sore loser, when they are displaying all signs of being a sore loser, is an insult? The truth hurts I guess..

Reply #582347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chalmers your team won the title, now do us all a favour and stop posting for a while. The copy and pasting needs a break to reenergise in the off season.

Reply #582356 | Report this post

Great contribution. I'm definitely going to listen to some anonymous dickhead who tells me that I shouldn't post.

As you have nothing of value to add, why don't you piss off?

Reply #582359 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Just enjoy the moment! Worth every dollar I have spent! Enjoyed this year the most!

Great season overall and to cap it off with the tittle is great. No one likes perth other than if you are in the red army.

No point arguing, cause we think we a right and every one is wrong are vice vecer. Got our seventh tittle!

Enjoy the off season and Perth will come back better than last. Also hats off to everyone that attended through out the season the more members your team has the better they will be.

Go cats!

Reply #582374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats for life you hit in on the head. It's a rivalry, you guys won this round so to speak, but all it does is make the Cats even less likeable and that's ok from a league point of view. You have to have villians, and you guys suit the role perfectly from the players all the way down to the nose bleed fans and experts who post on here and try to cut down anyone who dares disagree. At the end of the day it's all good, the MLB is a better league for the Yankees and their fans, just not when they win.

Reply #582441 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The team with arguably the most depth, best interior game, best defence and best coaching in the finals won the NBL.

We have to accept this and move onto next year where I hope other teams make adjustments to catch up to them, and the Breakers.

There wasn't much in it all season, best NBL season for many moons...

Now I am going to go watch some Big V and March Madness, love my hoops!

Reply #582442 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, and of course the SEABL...

Reply #582443 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yes, yes and that thing called the NBA, wow so much ball all year isn't it grand!

Reply #582445 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754