Years ago

Grand final television ratings on Fox Sports

From Mediaweek:

Game one: 50k Fox Sports

Game two: 37k Fox Sports

Topic #39117 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The timezone didn't help for Perth viewers in G2.

Reply #581797 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The NBL might need to consider a potential drop in coverage into their plans for next season. I doubt all games will be live through Fox.

Reply #581809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game 2 was live on gem, how many watched that coverage.

Reply #581811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would they want to consider a drop? I have a feeling there general hype about this season and this grand final is as high as it's been for several years. Ratings need to lift but giver it some time. These home entertainment market is as tough as ever with Netflix and American sports accessible. If anything you'd be more inclined to get to a game for a night out and some atmosphere rather than watch on TV if (you were a casual fan)

Reply #581813 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Impressive figures IMO.

Many of the regular games were 10k ish.....so to go 50 and 40k is excellent.

Reply #581814 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Of course they would have to consider the drop. If FOX Sports drop coverage down from five nights a week to three,there will be less revenue coming from TV and they will need to consider this while moving forward.

There have been noticeable improvements in crowd attendance but you will have a hard time getting sponsors if the TV product begins to languish. The ratings need to improve and there are no two ways around that. You can say 'give it time', but the honeymoon period is over. FOX Sports will be making decisions very, very soon.

Hype doesn't make successful business on its own. Fox Sports will want results. Has the NBL yielded results for the channel this season? The easy answer is NO.

You can have as many imports as you like and sign Andrew Bogut and Ben Simmons, but a league without a solid TV deal will be a dead league. Does that answer your question?

Reply #581815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would give it another 12 months at least the Brisbane market will be a big one for tv next season. The ratings for the 2 games last season were 29k and 38k on free to air which shows things are moving in the right direction.

Reply #581817 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Doesn't matter, the review period in the contract is now. Waiting twelve months locks Fox in for the full five years.

If it was primarily about making sure Brisbane got a team before they moved forward, though, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Reply #581818 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Showing games live on GEM should have an impact too but I think those numbers are pretty decent

Reply #581823 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I see that Gem is showing the game at 11.06 pm tonight.

Reply #581825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sport that isn't live is dead now. With the Internet and the huge live gambling angle, people only want live. Otherwise they will check the box score and move on with their day. The time zones and the teams involved didn't help simple as that

Reply #581826 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I watched GEM on Friday night. The broadcast was in 4:3 with the 16:9 skewed, and it cut out at 6:30pm exactly so missed the last minute.

And now G3 is on at 11pm tonight.

I'm not complaining because it's free, but why would they even bother showing it on FTA unless they delivered a polished product?

Reply #581829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wtf re Gem delayed telecast. I thought part of the rationale for squeezing the games into such a short period was for live fta

Reply #581833 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

It's live on Go, in wa today. Not sure Australia wide?

Reply #581835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That GEM footage was terrible. I was at a mates house who has never watched NBL and he flicked channels to the NBL. His first reaction was to laugh he couldn't believe the 'square box' aspect like it was made for 90s tvs and the camera view was like we were floating above. So we watched the last qtr which was a bit of a nail biter but it cut out with a minute to go to switch to the NRL. Can't complain as it was free and it gave us both a laugh.

Reply #581838 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The fox deal is for 5 years regardless of ratings.

Reply #581839 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

"the camera view was like we were floating above."

That camera view only occurs in NZ at their North Shore games. Everywhere else its far more reasonable.

Reply #581849 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

From what I can see, WA is the only place you can watch this game live on freeview :-/

Reply #581853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The north shore situation was a shame, would've made a whole lot more money and better spectacle at Vector, but from a nostalgia point of view was cool. That stadium needs to be demolished though haha

Reply #581854 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Game 3 is on 502 (fox sports 2) not the regular 503.

Reply #581856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Fox deal is for 5 seasons but at the end of season one, there will be a review and it's already been discussed that the coverage next season and beyond maybe less than this season.

Reply #581861 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I haven't watched enough games on GEM to remember, do they have a deal to use the Fox broadcast, or do they do their own production?

Reply #581865 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I had no screen size issues with Friday's coverage on Gem. Ii was watching on a digital tv and had a full size image, with no skewing. Also, the coverage ran to the final whistle for me, in Adelaide.

Reply #581873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had no problems in Sydney with gem as well, just can't believe they are not giving us game 3 live, it's bull shit.

Reply #581882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

73K for game 3 yesterday

Reply #582138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

73K is pretty good, no? Maybe that's why they delayed the GEM coverage, so that everyone would watch FOX?

Reply #582177 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

73k for people with those special boxes?

Reply #582179 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I had no problems in Sydney with gem as well, just can't believe they are not giving us game 3 live, it's bull shit.

They are, on Fox Sports.

Reply #582184 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:35 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754