Dazz
Years ago

Anyone else tried watching on Foxtel Play?

If you are really desperate to watch the game live (from outside WA) you can always sign up for a 2 week free trial of Foxtel Play:

https://www.foxtel.com.au/foxtelplay/build/package?execution=e1s1

I have tried it TWICE this season.
First at the start of the year, when we were with iinet. It seemed reasonable quality (although not cheap) but the problem was that we were limited and it chewed up our download cap way too fast.

Recently we switched to Optus, still ADSL2+, but now unlimited downloads. So I tried again.
Unfortunately the quality was just rubbish. I gather it adjusts the quality up and down, depending on available bandwidth, packet loss, etc.
Even watching the games, close up on my laptop, it was often so blurry that I couldn't even recognise the players or read the scores.
Considering the cost, $50 a month, I was not impressed.

Anyone else tried or used Foxtel Play with better results?
In theory, my speed is the same with both iinet and Optus, but I'm starting to wonder...

Topic #39122 | Report this topic

I used "Foxtel Go" this season which as I understand is just Foxtel Play but for people who have a full Foxtel subscription. I don't actually have Foxtel but just pinched the username and password off my brother in law to use Foxtel Go. I had the application running on a mini PC attached to my TV.
My internet connection is NBN, 25Mbits so not blazing, but good speed and much more stable than ADSL.

I found the quality reasonable even upscaled to my 60" Television. It wasn't High Definition, but it was passable. Usually when first selected it'd take a while for the stream to sort out what quality to deliver so it'd go from being a pixelated mess and then within 10 or 20 seconds become clear as it pumped up the stream to a better resolution.

Only issues i had during the season was that I went to watch one game and the software decided it needed to update to work so that was 10 minutes of a game lost while it updated and rebooted. There was also an occasion when the software errored tying to stream anything but that was apparently a bug and it started working again of it's own accord later.

I found the whole deal passable especially since i wasn't paying for it. I would pay for an NBL streaming solution if they offered a high quality stream on a platform that allowed me to display it on my television.

Reply #582178 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's $50 a month for Foxtel Play.
Which is a bit rude considering its delivered using infrastructure, bandwidth, and data from my ISP that I was already paying for.
I could have watched it on the big-screen using a PS3 or 4, bu considering how bad it was on the small screen, I didn't bother.

Supposedly streaming everything is the way of the future. Not if this is any indication.

Reply #582200 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754