Anonymous
Years ago

Did scoring return to old levels towards the end?

At the start of the season it was so exciting switch teams racking up a lot of points and highlights. The ton seemed to be cracked fairly regularly. Towards the end it seemed to be back to the bad old days of 2-3 years ago. 80 only got cracked once I think in the grand final?

Is this because players who were hot early like goulding and Webster got figured out? Were players just tired from the compressed schedule? Or was the refereeing allowing too much contact? Whatever it is it needs to be fixed. The red Army did a great job creating such a buzz for what must be said was a very low standard game. 52pts is a disgrace

Topic #39129 | Report this topic

proud  
Years ago

Referees went back to calling it the way of a few years ago and letting the players get away with heaps so they couldn't be blamed for making wrong decisions.

I think the NBL was much better when Hollywood Mal Cooper and his team were the refs boss, get them back and hopefully the Redding can stay the same all season long

Reply #582230 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Finals are usually more defensively focussed, and with the scheduling players were tired and standards slipped.
Perth and NZ were rated the best defensive teams in the league, so it was always going to trend that way.
Had it been an Adelaide v Hawks GF, things might have been different.

Besides, I feel that in the 40 minute era, 100 point games should be the exception.

Reply #582258 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just stems from the teams involved in the grand final series.

Reply #582272 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Not during the regular season. Here are the average points per game by month for the regular season:

October (26 games) 164.2 points
November (24) 172.2
December (25) 173.1
January (24) 171.5
February (13) 179.3

So games started off relatively low scoring, jumped a bit and stayed around that level for a while, then jumped a bit more in the last month of the regular season.

Teams scored 100 or more points in a game 31 times in the regular season, spread as follow:

October (26 games) 4 times (2% of opportunities)
November (24) 3 (6%)
December (25) 10 (20%)
January (24) 6 (13%)
February (13) 8 (31%)

So high team scores increased in frequency in the middle of the season and peaked in the last month.

NBL finals are rarely indicative of the scoring patterns for the regular season. In particular, grand finals have traditionally been lower scoring than regular season games. While there have been exceptions, this has usually been the case throughout the life of the NBL.

Reply #582275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice work putting the numbers together PJ.

Reply #582280 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Hmmm, I think I have to withdraw the statement that NBL grand finals have traditionally been lower scoring than regular season games. I just went and looked at grand final series scores historically and the low scoring pattern really only emerged in the mid 1990s.

The NBL lifetime average PPG for GF series is 160.2 (standardised to 40 minute game time, no adjustment for OT games). I expected it to be lower than that.

We're actually in a period of relatively high scoring grand finals' series at the moment. Four of the last five GF series have averaged at or above the NBL lifetime average. The 2013 GF series equalled the highest PPG on record for a GF series (201, also scored in 1980). The 2012 series was 9th highest PPG for a GF series (175.7).

In contrast, in 18 GF series between 1994 and 2011 inclusive, 13 averaged below the NBL lifetime PPG for grand finals. Only the 2002 series ranked in the top 10 PPG for GF series. It was 7th (177.2 PPG).

Reply #582281 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

The Goorjan Effect?

Reply #582298 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The 2013 GF series equalled the highest PPG on record for a GF series (201, also scored in 1980).
The series where NZ had 29 at half time and went on to win? That can't possibly be right.

I'm skeptical on 2012 as well, although there was an OT game so maybe that bumped it up a bit.

Reply #582305 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Thanks koberulz - my 2013 number was wrong. Finger fault when entering scores. That was a *low* scoring GF series - 141 points per game average, similar to this year's series.

2012 scores were:

104-98 (OT, NZ won)
86-87 (Perth won)
79-73 (NZ won)

I double checked my numbers for the last 5 years and apart from 2013 they're okay but I haven't gone back and double checked the preceding 30 years or so.

Reply #582316 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Towards the end it seemed to be back to the bad old days of 2-3 years ago."

Two years ago (2013/14) had the second highest scoring rate of the past 20 years. Three years ago (2012/13) was the lowest scoring rate in league history. You can't really bundle those two together!

This season was very close to 2013/14 but there was a large variation of in scores,an and also a very large variation in how the game was whistled.

Interesting that three of the top five scoring rates in the past two decades have come in the past seven seasons.

Reply #582317 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

86-87 (Perth won)
That's actually pretty high, considering Perth hit one three all night and there were four points in the final five minutes or something.

Reply #582322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great work Peter John

Reply #582388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:22 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754