Isaac
Years ago

Kiwi Ethan Rusbatch keen to break into NBL

Canterbury Rams' co-captain Ethan Rusbatch had a brief taste of life as a professional basketballer and it's only made him hungrier.

The 23-year-old swingman spent 10 days with Australian National Basketball League club, the Adelaide 36ers in late January, working out with the team and picking the brain of coach Joey Wright.

Rusbatch, who trialled for the Tall Blacks for the first time last season, said it gave him an insight into what it would be like to play the sport he loves all year round for a living.
He averaged 14.9 points and 5.5 rebounds per game, achieving his career high of 27 points, three times during the season.

Rusbatch was arguably the most improved Kiwi youngster, along with Manawatu's Brook Ruscoe.

Over the off-season, he has been sweating it out every day with Rams' coach and former Tall Black point guard Mark Dickel.
Full story

Anyone seen him play NZ NBL and able to report on how realistic his dream is?

Topic #39135 | Report this topic

NZH  
Years ago

Strong defender, very good three point shooter, needs work creating off the dribble.

If he has a good NZ NBL season he could very easily be the next Dion Prewster or Jarrod Kenny and score a bench role on an ANBL team as a role player.

Reply #582545 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

He is related to Kendrick Perkins of the NBA.

He is a better player than Prewster in my opinion. Have watched him and played with him for years.

He is a high-level shooter, extremely athletic, very strong and quick which makes him a great defender.

Good height at 6"5.

I would make the argument that he is better than Te Rangi.

Unfortunately, non-Auckland based players don't always get the same opportunities as Auckland-based ones, but they work just as hard if not harder. ER shoots 1,000 shots a day. Hardest worker I've known.

Reply #582546 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm more impressed this guy spent 10 days with the 36ers mid-season and it never became public knowledge.

I don't think we need to be getting any smaller though.

Reply #582550 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

Know nothing about him, but love hearing about guys like this coming through.

Perhaps it is time for a second NZ franchise in the NBL...?

Reply #582553 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Haven't seen him play, but anyone putting up those numbers in the NZNBL has to at least be somewhere near the mark.

Reply #582563 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

He shot 39% from 3 last season and hit 5 three pointers in a single game, 4 in another and 3 on two occasions.

But yeah, apparently he's a swingman, well look at the guys he would have been competing against- guys like Torrey Craig, Todd Blanchfield, Te Rangi, Prewster, Henry etc.

Reply #582564 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Games back to being streamed twice a week this season so should have a chance to check him out. Sounds promising

Reply #582592 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Watched the stream last night.

Was very impressed.

Didn't freeze/pause once in my 80 odd minutes of viewing. Quality was great. Commentary was good considering it wasn't TV.

Free and easy to access online through one simple click (no log in/signing up).

Reply #582593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone post the link to watch nznbl? pretty keen to check it out

Reply #582626 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Here's the link from last night. Pretty entertaining stuff. Consider the starting fives:

Wellington - Charles Jackson, Wesley, Henry, Craig, Ili (with Prewster and BJ Anthony off the bench)

Rangers - Terrence (import), Boucher, Te Rangi, Devendorf, Tait (Te Rangi was hot, for those bagging him the other day)

http://livestream.com/accounts/69849/events/4946106

Reply #582629 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

* that should say Terrence Roberts.

Reply #582630 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anonymous,

I will post it tonight on here for tomorrow's game (Southland vs Nelson).

Alternatively, if you access the NZ Herald website and go to Sport you will see the appropriate link floating somewhere in there.

Yes, paul, the starting 5's for the Rangers, Wellington Saints and Southland Sharks are quite unreal and very high quality. The talent and dept drops off considerably after that unfortunately.

Southland will probably put out:

Jordair Jett
Ev Bartlett
Tom Abercrombie
Nick Kay
Pledger

Now you can't tell me that starting 5 wouldn't be able to compete with the Sydney Kings, Townsville Crocs, Cairns.

Reply #582632 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Live stream link for tonight's game. Tip off in a couple of minutes:

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11604034

Reply #582711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a 2nd NZ team in the ANBL would strengthen both the aussie league and kiwi hoops. There is a limit to how much playing time a team can give development guys in a pro league. Having a 2nd team doubles those opportunities. It seems like now is the perfect time to do it with the league thinking big and the chance of having 3 imports to help smooth the transition. A guy like Ethan should not have to go to Adelaide to look for his chance.

Reply #582822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think most people wood agree with you. Let it happen now.

Reply #582834 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:12 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754