paul
Years ago

Rio Olympics Men's Draw

The draw for Rio gets done tonight, and some good news is the Boomers are being drawn out of the same pot as host nation Brazil, meaning we will end up in different groups.

China and Nigeria are in the same pot, so we will get one of them, while Argentina and Venezuela are together in another pot. Though Venezuela are a tough opponent, I think we'd prefer them over the Argies greats on their last go-around.

The USA and Spain are sharing a pot so we can only draw one of them, so that's good news too.

http://www.fiba.com/olympics/2016/news/procedures-for-rio-2016-olympic-basketball-tournaments-draw-ceremony

Topic #39139 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

As important as our draw is our schedule. We really, really don't want to lose our first game again and set ourselves on a path to fourth in the group. I would like to start the tournament against China, get the USA in the third game to avoid them in the cross-over, and be pitted against possibly Lithuania, Venezuela and the 3rd place qualifier.

We have proven that we can beat Lithuania. We have done it with a team that will be less talented and versatile than the one we have now with the inclusion of Bogut and Mills. I am not scared of Venezeula or Argentina although either could beat us on their day. I am not sure who is in the qualifying race but any that get through to be top three will be a concern. I am massively keen for this draw. What time will we know the results?

Reply #582616 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the draw happens at 1.30am AEDT, so we'll wake up to news tomorrow.

Agree that it would be great to get an inexperienced opponent first up, wouldn't want to have to face Spain or Argentina who have been there and done that so many times before. Having said that, our core has been together a long time now, they should be pretty ready for day one.

Reply #582618 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Should being the operative word. We wont have much preparation this year for the Olympics. I think we have 5 or 6 warm-up games, at most. This Olympics is our prime right now. We need to get it together across the next 3 tournaments or we are going to lose this generation of Boomers without a medal.

Reply #582619 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Also have to keep an eye on the qualifiers and who the Boomers draw out of those.

Could get drawn with Sebia (who should win the Serbian tournament comfortably you would think).

Obviously, teams like Turkey or France and Greece could also come out.

Reply #582623 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'd love New Zealand to get through. It might make life easier on us lol

Reply #582633 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Really keen to see how this goes so I can start to figures out which games I have tickets to!

Reply #582634 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Just had a look at the qualifiers to come through, there are some powerful nations in there. The most notable are Greece, France, Serbia, Canada, Turkey and Croatia with possible darkhorses coming from Puerto Rico, New Zealand, Angola and Italy.

Reply #582636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think any game will be easy bar maybe Asian and African teams.
Will be awesome to watch.

The womens will be interesting also... Other teams have gotten significantly better than last time round.

Reply #582645 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Australia mens team drawn in same group as USA.

Reply #582677 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Group A
Qualifier 1
USA
Venezuela
Qualifier 2
China
Australia

Group B
Argentina
Spain
Brazil
Lithuania
Qualifier 3
Nigeria

Reply #582678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best Draw possible for the boomers China and Venezuela should be wins group A is easier than B.

Reply #582680 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah that was really as good as it could have gone. Venezuela will not be easy beats as they certainly surprised other teams last summer, but they're still the preferred opponent given the options. Getting the USA in our group ensures we won't get them in the quarter finals as well as giving us a free crack at them in the group stage.

I hope the tickets I have is for that game.

Reply #582681 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Just remember that Canada, France, Serbia, Greece and Italy are in the OQT and could be pooled with the Boomers as well.

Avoiding hosts Brazil, Argentina, Spain and Lithuania was a great outcome but crossovers will be tough. No easy game.

Reply #582685 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

So you guys will be cheering us Kiwis on the OQT! Love it.

France will be tough. Canada will also be tough if their big guns play. Turkey are on the decline i always though from 2010? Senegal and Phillipines are beatable but will play a unique style which will be hard. Also Tab knows how the TBs play.

Reply #582688 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The perfect group for Australia would have been China, USA, Venezeula, Lithuania and Qualifier 3. We are only 2 spots away from that but with the likeliness of being paired with a France or Greece. Lithuania would have been tough either way, but atleast we've beaten them recently. As strong as the Australian team will be this year, there are few games anyone in this competition would consider a gimme outside of maybe China.

Australia could expect to beat China, Venezeula, and there are 3 tough games we need to win atleast 1 of to avoid Spain as our likely crossover and pull either Lithuania or Argentina (I'd hope for an Argentina cross over)

Reply #582690 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

You'd assume to beat Venezuela and China, and say go 1 and 1 against the 2 qualifiers. That puts us at 3 and 2, 3rd.

I have Nigeria and Argentina to drop out of group B. So we would probably barring upsets be matched up against Spain or Brazil in the QF. Both hard but winnable games IMO.

Could easily be going for a bronze medal this year.

Reply #582691 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

A lot rides on who the qualifiers are and what squads they bring. For instance, France is not the same team without Tony Parker. How many teams are going to really "bring it" for the qualifiers, and who has lost the faith and will just lurch through? We could be surprised and find ourselves with the Czech republic or something in our group. Where can we find info on what squads are playing for whom at the qualifiers?

Also, a lot rides on Boguts ability to stay uninjured. I hope the Warriors use bogut sparingly through the play offs lol.

Reply #582695 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

So our first two games are against the qualifiers. Then the USA, then the two games we should win. We could conceivably start 0-3 and then go through. Might make the whole thing tough though

Reply #582704 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's going to be a tough tournament for everyone involved. There are already so many teams in there that have realistic medal goals, and another three will be added in July.

I mean, Lithuania, USA, Brazil, Argentina and Australia are all in the conversation for a medal already, and who will be added? France? Greece? Croatia? Canada?

Anyone can beat anyone at this level and that's what makes it so daunting and exciting at the same time.

I expect Australia to progress in this pool, however we have to knock atleast 1 of the qualifiers out to give ourselves a good shot. I just hope that luck gives us some qualifiers we match up well with

Reply #582705 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

If Australia can play the way we did against Lithuania in 2014, we have a great shot at a medal. IF we play the way we played the rest of the games, not so much. It all depends which Australia turns up.

Reply #582708 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Relieved not to see Angola in our group. We really seem to struggle against those guys.

Reply #582709 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Angola isn't involved anyway. Nigeria is. They would have similar attributes in their athletic abilities I dare say. I am ridiculously keen for this.

Reply #582712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Luuuc was referring to Australia's tank job against Angola at the last World Cup :)

Reply #582714 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I'm expecting a medal.

Reply #582716 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I am afraid of the first games against qualifiers. They will have the momentum of a tournament together -- with successful results -- whereas the Boomers will have their usual experimental handful of lead-up games.

Reply #582719 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, agreed. With so little between the teams talent-wise I feel like coaching and preparation are going to play a huge role, and I'm not sure we'll have the advantage in those areas over too many other teams.

Reply #582724 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Qualifiers are a combine 16-20 at the Olympics so there isn't really a history of them carrying great momentum into the tournament. They'll be good teams, but it's the same old story, if Australia want to make noise we have to beat some good teams.

The group we're in is almost a perfect, the order of games not so much, but we're. Certainly in a good spot if we're good enough to make the most of it.

Reply #582740 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

A combined 16-20 of what?

Reply #582753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the Hell?
Am I missing something?
Those qualifying tounaments will probably deliver Serbia and France - so thats Gold SIlver and Bronze form the world cup in one pool?
Were screwed - if were lucky well finish fourth - and face the top team from the other pool - and drop out in the quarters yet again.

Reply #582769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are ranked #11 in the world so making the quarter finals is still a win.
I don't know why people have their hopes so high just because we have some players in the NBA. So does everyone else.

Reply #582770 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

World rankings mean little. We are about to turn up with our entire team healthy (with any luck), that hasn't happened before.

By the way, not many teams right now have seven NBA players, an upcoming number 1 draft pick, with four of those NBA players having NBA finals experience very recently.

And furthermore, not many teams have the kind of experience our team has and the youth that is also on their side. The Boomers are ripe.

So when you're saying "We are 11th in the world, so top 8 is still a win", I think you are being ignorant to the make up of the team we have now and the conditions that have come together. We haven't had Bogut in a major tournament since 2008, and we didn't have Patty at the 2014 worlds.

We wont be cut down at the quarters by America as has happened in the past two Olympic games.

So, excuse us all for a little optimism?

Lets all throw our hands up and declare the Olympics over for us before they even began because "other teams have NBA players" and "We're only ranked 11th, top 8 is still a win."

What Un-Australian, defeatest nonsense!

Where do you think Serbia was ranked before they came Silver in 2014, you muppet?

Serbia came out of nowhere and literally no one had them in the medal equation. They were meant to be a challenging European team, and that was it.

Fact of the matter is there are probably 8 teams with genuine medal hopes this year: USA, Spain, Lithuania, Argentina, Brazil, Australia, and probably some of the qualifiers. No one said Australia is 'guaranteed' a medal. But are we in the mix? Yes. Do we have comparable levels of talent? Yes. Should we all just lay down and die because, "Oh no! we're ranked 11th?!?" No!

So shut the fuck up basically, anonymous. You're talking loser talk and no one here wants to hear your despair.

Reply #582773 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yep, the Olympics are always a better chance for the unpredictable. The fact that you can lose three games and still be in with a chance means anything can happen.

Even if pool results don't go your way, you're just one great performance from being in the medal round.

Obviously the ideal is to have our team playing well together and try to finish top 2 giving us a better crossover and then relying on that "one great game" to get us into the final.

But either way, this is a tournament we can rightly be optimistic about.

Reply #582776 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"But oh no Cram, we are ranked 11th!" LOL

Idiots like that are priceless!

It's as if medals are decided by comparing world rankings.

"Team chemistry and such mean nothing, people! Other teams have NBA players! Nothing to see here, move a long!"

My god, anonymous is a moron and a half.

Reply #582783 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Whoa, Someone's off their meds?

Reply #582786 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

ME is fired up about the Boomers. Gotta love the passion.

Reply #582793 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

What can I say? Mess with the teams I follow and I 'go in'.

Reply #582800 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Australia is Lithuania's bogey team, we've beaten them on a few big occasions, I remember in 2008 Olympics the Aussies won

Reply #582807 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well, we are eachothers bogey teams historically. It is probably Australias greatest international rival. We've had the wood on them in recent years, though. We really surprised them in 2014, too.

Reply #582809 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We are 3-5 all-time against Lithuania at WCs and Olympics, with one of our wins in a game with no bearing on placings (which was our only win over them at an Olympics).

ME, teams that come through the qualifiers have won 16 games and lost 20 at those Olympics, hence 16-20.

Reply #582825 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

How often have those teams been powerhouses? Looking at the qualifiers it looks like France, Serbia, Greece are the most likely to get through by far. I also wonder why there is a trend for teams to come in at under 50 percent from qualifiers. You'd think they'd be primed for competition by then.

Reply #582830 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"Australia is Lithuania's bogey team, we've beaten them on a few big occasions, I remember in 2008 Olympics the Aussies won"

They beat us when it matters. Bronze Medal Games at the 1996 & 2000 Olympic Games. Lithuania have stood between us and a medal twice and both times pulled out pants down.

Reply #582837 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I watched the 2000 Bronze medal game a week or two ago. It is a sad, sad sight. We just didn't have the speed and energy they had. Might have helped if Barry Barnes knew the meaning of a time out or substitution. Could have helped if Luc Longley wasn't injured, too.

Reply #582845 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

ME, I think it's a tough ask to peak twice in quick succession mentally and physically at the level required for the Olympics. It's certainly doable, Russia took bronze last time, but it's not an advantage coming through qualifiers.

Reply #582853 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nothing like tough and meaningful games together as a team to build chemistry. Certainly can't hurt.
And 16-20 is far from shabby. On average that's enough to progress to the quarters, so every qualifier that does that equates to another team that doesn't make it out of the group stage.

Reply #582854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is making the "top 8" of a 12 team tournament a win?
My understanding is that we need to win 2 out of 5 games, although 1 plus percentage could do it?
Finishing 8th is pretty much the definition of "why bother?"

Reply #582855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure we will finish 2, 3 or 4 in our group.
Switching over and playing 3, 2 or 1 which means we will most likely play Brazil, Lithuania, Spain or one of the other quality euro teams.
It's gonna be tough for sure...

Reply #582863 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The tough games together can hurt Luuuc, because the athletes have to peak for the tournament, which will affect their later peak.

Athletes in any sport want to peak meticulously for the Olympics, and it's very important in basketball after the tough club season most players have gone through.

Reply #582865 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am as patriotic and passionate about the Boomers (any Aussie international team really) as the next guy.

What I can't fathom is all the concern over who we play and whether we can get a decent draw and who we should avoid etc...

The draw is out of our hands, who we play is out of our hands, or at least should be decided by the draw or results according to which team wins or loses, so we need to go into these tournaments with one mind set, that is a positive one.

We need to avoid only one thing, that is to behave like Meerkats, worrying about the next Eagle that is going to swoop on us and start walking tall among the winners of the world and worry less about who we play by working on how we play.

Our attitude will decide how we go in these events, not the draw IMHO!

Reply #582867 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well we can't complain about the Boomers belief, they're talking about gold medals.

While I don't think gold is a reasonable likelihood, it is better than when Goorjian used to say "We just hope to get to the knockout stage, I mean we have to face some tough competition with Mongolia, India and Antarctica."

The draw matters. Almost every team in the competition will have a keen eye on the draw and what it means for their prospects. Certainly any team is more likely to get a W in their column if they're up against China than if it were Nigeria, and more likely to beat Venezeula than Argentina, or Spain rather than the USA. We got almost the best draw possible for us.

Even with the talent and potential we have, we are underdogs trying to mess with the established order. That comes with challenges of its own.

Reply #582881 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In summary, it's going to be tough, every opponent will present a challenge, but we have a talented team that have been together a while now who are rightfully confident they can challenge for a medal.

Reply #582888 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Damn straight, Paul. I just want the olympics to hurry up from here on!

Reply #582889 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Athletes in any sport want to peak meticulously for the Olympics, and it's very important in basketball after the tough club season most players have gone through."

To a degree, but I really don't buy this as a big factor in basketball. These players are used to playing long seasons, not tailoring several month long blocks for training, conditioning and peaking at a particular week like a swimmer would.

And the results speak for themselves. 16-20 (= 0.444) for the last few teams allowed into the tournament is no joke. It's pretty close to the Boomers record across the last 4 Olympics (0.461) so let's not pretend for a second that we can take those teams remotely lightly.

Reply #582894 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

France, Serbia and Greece, the likely qualifiers, will be a handful either way.

Here's an interesting article that kind of encapsulates this conversation.

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/olympic-draw-mean-boomers/

Reply #582900 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not saying you can Luuuc, as I'm sure you know, just pointing out that going through the qualifiers isn't an advantage.

As for peaking athletes, it's huge in the Olympic basketball tournament because the athletes have to produce eight times in two weeks.

This tournament is played at a much higher intensity than any drawn out club season, and teams whose players can be well rested after club season and then managed carefully to peak once have an advantage over those who come out of season into preparations for the OQT and then have to peak again on a shortened preparation for the Olympics.

Reply #582902 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it's also important not to write off China and Venezuela, we should beat them both and they should be the easiest two games (barring a big surprise from the qualifiers) but they are both capable of an upset so they are unlikely to be a walk in the park.

Reply #582905 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Luckily for Australia we have the youth, experience and depth that we should be able to keep pretty fresh throughout. While China and Venezeula wont be walks in the park, you'd hope we can run our bench for most of those games.

Reply #582910 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I doubt that, don't forget Venezuela won the Americas Championship. China are big, deep and aggressive but hopefully their inexperience will count against them.

Reply #582912 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754