Dazz
Years ago

Sixers' Fans' Opinions on Creek and Gibson?

Got a couple of questions for those that follow the 6's.

Firstly, Mitch Creek.
I know he's a "role player" and plays only 20 odd minutes off the bench, but to me he seems like good value. Particularly in terms of local boys that can play the 2/3 role. Presumably Lemanis sees some potential there, at least as training fodder, or future growth.
So what do sixers' fans think? Good value? future potential? and is he better suited to the 2 or 3 spot?

Now Gibson. I have always tended to see him as combo guard, better suited to playing the PG role. Yet it seems Adelaide's first priority has always been to use an import slot to find a better PG? Irving, Wilson, Randle, etc.
Where do yo see him better suited to playing? Especially give the speculation he will move to Brisbane?

Topic #39141 | Report this topic

Baller#3  
Years ago

I feel like Gibson is better at the point. At the same time if you have a shooting guard who uses the ball a lot then Gibson still wont have it all that often.

Reply #582642 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

All things considered (salary, points value, ability, production, personality) Creek is good value. He is much better suited to the 3 in my opinion as he isn't a good enough shooter or ball handler for the 2. I think Creek will take another step forward this coming season and is a future captain of the club.

Gibson is a bit of a tweener for mine. He is neither a good 2 man or 1 man but is serviceable in either. He isn't a good enough shooter for the 2, nor is he capable of creating his own shot. As for the point he is a good distributor but isn't a good enough decision or play maker under pressure which is not what you want from your point guard.

Gibson's strengths have always been being able to understand and learn the team plays and to play within that system whilst being a reasonable defender.

Gibson is safer to play at the 2 and it is for those reasons above Joey always picks point guards to pair with him.

I think for the cash he is on and with the 3 import rule likely to come in you can get more for less so would not be fussed if he left for Brisbane as widely reported.

Reply #582648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson is done, hasnt been relevant for awhile, just taking up salary cap and minutes. If he happens to return to Adelaide and step up against the 6ers then so be it...

As for Creek, IF he could shoot the jumper he would be a nightmare to defend and probably be knocking on the European markets door, but he cant, and he is just another good athlete that runs lanes shows glimpses but will never be the game breaker type he could be.

Guess its easier to focus on the negatives, but i rarely felt comfortable with the ball in either of their hands in crunch time. So for me thats always been warning signs.

Reply #582654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PS I now feel dirty for replying to a Dazz thread, but in his defence I didnt have to take the afternoon off work to read it ;)

Reply #582655 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Gibson is the king of being merely 'solid'. He is so addicted to being solid that you will find he never tries to do anything in particular too well. He is just a cog in the machine and over time that cogs importance has begun to wane considerably, as it disappears more often than it appears.

Creek is exactly as described. He is an athletic player but he doesn't have a great deal of talent to dress around the athleticism. Just when you start to think it is his break-out year he falls back into that 'athletic role player' niche and never breaks free. For someone who has rare athletic gifts in the league it is a shame he never gets the rest of it to gel. A consistent outside shot would see him become a starter on most teams.

Reply #582671 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Creek is one of those players who makes some good outside shots, but just doesn't take very many of them. So I'm never quite sure if he could be a more prolific scorer if he took more shots, or whether we should be grateful he doesn't?

Reply #582672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grateful he doesnt, he hesitates doesnt get the defence to to commit, then drives into multiple stationary defenders, if he could get defenders to contest his jumper, he would be amazing, but he has no outside shot of any merit.

Reply #582676 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So did anyone bother to go watch Creek play last night ?

Reply #582684 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Creek doesn't even necessarily need a jump-shot. If he had a nice handle on him, and could learn to drive in anything but a straight line he could be devastating using the gap defenders give him to get in the lane. Combine that with good decision making with the shot/pass decision once in the lane and he could be a dominating three man in the mold of Hodge or Tucker in this league.

But he doesn't have either. He seems content to be a athletic role player. Which is a shame. I feel a bit dirty ripping into behind the mask of the internet because he's a great guy, and I would love to be in his position to be getting paid for ten years running the lanes in the NBL, but if I was him I sure as hell have worked my butt off day in and day out to get better, and it doesn't seem like he has applied himself in the areas of the game he lacks the most.

It's a big problem with the culture of the NBL. In the NBA you often see players add noticeable improvements to their game each off-season, but in Australia a lot of guys stop developing from about the under 18/under 20 level in terms of their skill-set. I'm sure this is systematic of the fact that there's not as much money and our guys need to spend x amount of hours at school visits etc, but it does make the league somewhat stale at times.

Still love the NBL though, just some hard truths in my opinion.

Reply #582689 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

We'll see what the off season brings to players like Creek, Sobey and Teys. Maybe where they are at will bring new skills and mindset. We know what Europe did for DJ, but it fell away after his pneumonia and surgery recovery. Hopefully he'll come back with some more of that attitude he brought last season before getting sick.

Reply #582696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No disrepsect to the Adelaide local league, but Creek would want to Average BIG points, and if his style is changed a near triple double every SINGLE game, to make it worthwhile development wise. To just get a run in, playing in the local league for guy who has so much he could be working on seems a real waste and risky of injury for minimal reward for me.

Reply #582698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is still young and personally thought he had a above average season, should've been given more opportunity at times I reckon.
Sometimes playing a lower level can be good for your game exspecially if he tries new things. Probably not a lot off other options other than seabl and in what is his off season might want to be home more. He has potential and only 23.

Reply #582701 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I agree with much of what has been said. Happy to let Gibson go home to Brisbane if he wants to. Has been a solid player for us and provided experience and leadership on a team that was sorely lacking for several years. However, seems past his best and I would probably rather spend the money he would command on a decent import or a guy like Madgen if he wanted to come home.

I really like Creek and I hope he wants to stay in basketball (rumours about football seem persistent). Could absolutely be a future captain of the 36ers if he continues to develop his game. Agree that he is limited due to lack of jump-shot, but has some good skills and has shown growth in his skill level and decision making. I think we can afford to be a bit patient with him as he is still only 23. He won't really be at his peak for another 5 years! I personally think he has more future value than anyone on the roster not named DJ.

Reply #582702 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I didn't realise he was only 23. Okay, maybe he does have some upside yet. That's around the age of an NBA rookie, and hes been here for ages it seems.

Reply #582703 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

First game up last night for Mitch with a few new players moved in to the team including himself. Every player put their name on the scoreboard and had a run. Mitch posted good stats for a team that had 11 players on the court over the game. Admittedly this is probably the bottom opposition for the season but after a slow start getting everyone in to the game it was very entertaining and some great team work led by Creek and Johns. More to come and should post some good stats. Next week is against Norwood who took out Premier League last year so that will be interesting to see the match ups. Mitch has a life in Adelaide, his PT business and off season commitments to the community side of the Sixers so staying here suits and the best of luck to him. I'm sure others are here still working on the game with Joey who along with his assistants have also made a great life for themselves. Tigers also has York as Womens coach and with her relationship with the Lightning and assisting the Sixers maybe this is a better move than people think. Stats from the game last night below. Mitch posting 33 points and match rating of 45. Not too shabby.

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/12/17/55/03/175Rbipn8hTc/

Reply #582706 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Creek and Waxy have potential because of their athleticism.

Sobey and Teys are bums.

Gibson is a joke. Hasn't broken a sweat for years.....sadly.

Reply #582715 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Waxy's the wrong side of 30 to have potential.

Reply #582718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree waxy has minima potential, wondered if he would even get a gig back in Adelaide until he was oddly named the most improved. Improved from what his time at United? Didn't seem any better too me. Wreaked of someone trying to pay themselves on the back by acknowledging how good he was to recruit.

Reply #582721 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Gibson is from Tasmania, although he did spend several seasons at Brisbane and later Gold Coast.
To me, once he gets past being a starter, he'll make a good backup. He's a bit of a tweener, good but not great. Given the choice I would probably have him at point, with a high-scoring import in the 2.

Creek is only 23, somebody must seem some more potential there, to name him in the extended Boomers squad?

Reply #582725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah of course there is potential. At 23 and his athleticism there must be. But to this point it has been very very slow with how young guys develop nowadays, and honestly not sure he has the right situation and environment to focus on him personally enough and help him get to the next level. That next leave seperates the boys from men and if he doesn't get moving he will be another had potential type his whole career. Brutal truth, age only works in your favour for so long. Clearly the achillies held him back a bit but no issues there now so no excuses imo.

Reply #582728 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"It's a big problem with the culture of the NBL. In the NBA you often see players add noticeable improvements to their game each off-season, but in Australia a lot of guys stop developing from about the under 18/under 20 level in terms of their skill-set. I'm sure this is systematic of the fact that there's not as much money and our guys need to spend x amount of hours at school visits etc, but it does make the league somewhat stale at times."

Couldn't disagree more. Most players hit their best basketball in their late 20s, and most aren't in the NBL until early to mid 20s, to say they stop developing at U18 or U20 seems well off the mark to me.

Reply #582741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually think adding an extra import spot into the NBL will push those guys who are in the league to work harder and continue to develop so they dont lose money and minutes to imports, the extra pressure from the extra import being a good thing

Some guys hit NBL starter level and dont really improve or sort of just cruise, Gibson can look like this, as they know even at cruise mode they are going to get well paid NBL jobs, especially with less imports being allowed basically protecting his job almost regardless of performance, as not really many aussies coming through challenging for it, this is one reason i like having less restrictions to recruitment, keep guys pushing hard to improve.

Back on Topic

Gibson, is solid but not great, had some brilliant games, had some poor games, imo has never been worht the sort of money he has been rumoured to be paid, but as there are not really many aussie guards better than him he gets it, so happy to replace him with a import next season and wish him the best at brisbane or wherever

Creek to me is the 36ers best Aussie, i know many will think im crazy for putting him ahead of DJ, but Creek plays with more hustle, defense, grunt, heart and doesnt go missing us much as DJ, who dissapears in many big games, Creek will atleast have a good crack at it even if his offensive high side isnt as good as DJ's yet.

Id ideally keep Creek at SF, put a long athletic import sg/s next to him (or Madgen or Newley) ideally can shoot the 3 and play de, like Prather or Craig, then replace Ebi Ere with a import big, id be aiming for something like Ebekwe to put next to DJ and i reckon we are looking good, be good to have a line up with a bit of size instead of being small each year, Perth always stock pile big guys who play with some grunt and i think its a major reason they are consistently tough to beat and make playoffs, i want us to go down that path a bit more this season with bringing in a import 4/5 with some athleticism, grunt and defense to play with PEach and DJ.

Reply #582742 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Hi Paul - Would love you to throw up a few examples of guys who have increased their skill-set significantly once in the NBL. I'm open to changing my mindset on this, please prove me wrong.

I don't mean settling into the pace or physicality, but genuine improvement that would show up on a scouting report.

Reply #582743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah swagger Im with you. Basketball like Tennis is a develop young and hold it type sport. These guys dont get better as they get older, savvier perhaps but not better. The new import spot will again seperate the boys from the men. The men will have the right hungry attitude and work on their games and skill set, the boys will whinge and move on quicker than a league that wouldnt usually be as deep.

Reply #582750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey is not a bum.

Give him 2 more years and he will be killing it.

Reply #582752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Killing it, very optimistic, but hope you're right. If what is reported about Teys getting more minutes next season, then Sobey wont have the chance. I found him very frustrating with his decision making and caution to the wind shooting selection at times.

Reply #582758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heres a question:
Would you prefer to start Creek at SF? Or a fat old dwarf like Ere?
Asuming Gibbo leaves were set at point with Randle
Do we use an import role to find him a devastating partner shooting guard? Plus go for another forward?
Or do we continue Joeys obsession with deploying a trio of midgets?

Reply #582766 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I've always felt too many Nbl players hit a plateau in their early 20s and never really get much better. I'd say a lot of guys from that oz97 gold medal team fit into that category. Trahair, McGregor Dwight. All good players, obviously, but did any of them get much better from where they were at that point? It can be argued that many had expectations that were too high but that's a different story.

I would like to see some sort of Potential Boomers development program in the nbl off season. Maybe include some tours, but largely focus on working on weaknesses etc. Someone like Goorjian would be perfect to head up a program like that and perhaps even have him as a consultant for developing any young Aussies BA identifies even throughout the season.

Reply #582778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey just needs to make some new friends, that are star players now and not years back. Then he can bring those ones in instead of Ebi Ira Clarke type etc... I dont really know what the team will look like. Depends what type of DJ turns up, if the offensive minded guy returns from few seasons back who quietly ends games with 26 on a heap of FT attempts, then go a banger along side him I guess. If they dont think that DJ has it in him, then you got to get scoring down low, to help the outside game free up. Most of the import types floating are 2-3's so anyone alongside Randle with range helps and whatever they play, help Creeks development by putting him in the other position.

Reply #582780 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

ROFLcopter is a BUM ! yep, I'm laughing, that is so funny. Bloody Unhappy Man.

Reply #582813 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Would love you to throw up a few examples of guys who have increased their skill-set significantly once in the NBL.

Off the top of my head I'll pick one from each current team who fits this bill - Goulding, DJ, Webster, D Martin, R Martin, Steindl, Gliddon and Garlepp - all guys whose skillsets have improved once in the NBL.

From times gone by, off the top of my head - Jason Smith, Mackinnon, Stiff, S Black, CJ Bruton, Nielsen, Rogers, Rillie, Harvey - man you could go on and on. All guys whose skill sets improved once in the NBL and who grew into very good players the older they got.

Reply #582823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt, Cadee have improved as well, most guys coming out college are not Nbl ready and improve in the Nbl.

Reply #582835 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

From memory, John Rillie peaked later than you would expect yeah? He was always dangerous, always a threat, but never became a franchise level talent until into his 30s yeah?

I remember thinking that it had taken him a long time to finally reach his potential

Reply #582864 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

To get better and improve those skills you need to get to the next level once you hit your 20's isn't easy in a pro or semi-pro team when you have to fit into a system and possibly work as well.

Even a pro has to make extraordinary sacrifices in some cases, I will present Jeremy LIN as an example.

Had to leave the NBA altogether and seek specific and dynamic training in Asia with one coach to work on his weaknesses and develop an NBA game, then came back and with opportunity took it to the next level.

Opportunity may also be the issue, especially with imports taking on more starting spots and players like Creek or Gibson playing roles...

Reply #582871 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So, assuming you go with two new imports as Joey suggested, and Gibson leaves, is Creek good enough to hold down a starting spot?
EG:
Johnson
Import PF
Creek
Import SG
Randle

Or would you try to find another local guard to replace Gibson, and go with a SF for your import?

Or would you go back to Joey's "fall-back" formula, leave Petrie starting and recruit import 2 AND 3?

Reply #583021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, I hope they are going for the line up you suggested

The PF/C needs to be a decent size, athletic, plays inside and hustles at both ends,

SG needs to be 6'5ish, ahtletic, be a decent shooter and play some defense

Reply #583026 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Any chance you can get Motum back?
Pick the right pair of imports to accompany him, DJ, and Randle, and you would have a kickass line-up, not mention decent depth on the bench with Petrie, Creek, Sobey, and Teys.

Reply #583032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Motum would be awesome

He is playing with Randle right now, so hopefully Randle is recruiting him for the 6ers

Reply #583034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With more money to spend and higher NBL profile and if they are serious about letting Teys step up then it is likely to happen. Teys played injured last season, hence his minutes down and abilities hampered so with surgery done and dusted he will be back to his form of the prior season where he kicked defensive goals and started hitting the clutch 3's. It will happen.

Reply #583040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cue sultry music. Time to campaign to get Moto Moto back.

Reply #583041 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I reckon they've spent enough on Randle that they'll need to be shrewd with the rest of the roster. Which would likely rule out guys like Motum. Sure there's probably a higher cap, but I doubt the club have loads to spend. Three import allowance and some decent Aussies locked in will be useful.

On topic, I think local guards who play D are very, very useful but Gibson has obviously been disinterested enough that he should move on (and clearly has mentally already).

Creek is still really young and showed some good stuff late in the season. Getting to the line and converting is handy. Whether he starts or not may depend on what else they can get.

I do think they need an import big as Hodgson didn't progress and Walker lacks height.

Reply #583050 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, I think that's what Joey suggested, that the two remaining imports would be cheaper guys out of college, so yeah probably rule out Motum, unless you get some major sponsorship.

Reply #583059 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754