NBL Fan
Years ago

Kings under New Ownership

Exciting news with the Kings being bought by worldwide company AEG Ogden. They will now play at AllPhones Arena with Jeff Van Groningen the new managing director. Exciting new direction with the Kings and a proper venue to play in this year.

I assume they would play in Allphones Arena for a dicounted rate due to managing the venue.

Topic #39145 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Link: http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/31131/

Reply #582788 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Everything old is new again.

Reply #582790 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

Great news for the Kings. Hopefully the new ownership will bring in a great coach for them. Sorry but didn't think Joe Connolly did much- do realise he had to deal with injuries.
I do hope they retain Josh Childress, especially if the league goes to 3 imports. The guy has got personality to get the casual fan drawn in. Maybe also someone like an Ennis or Goulding. Someone else with a passionate personality. They should have a look at Rotnei Clarke- assuming Lisch stays at the Hawks. Was the dumbest move not getting him last season. Retaining Garlepp and Kazzouh is a must for them. Hopefully they can keep a core, including Cadee and just add a couple of smart choices to become more competitive (not Damo Martin though- hands off).

Reply #582791 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Looking forward to hearing what Sydneysiders think of this development.
It seemed to me like staying at the existing venue was a certain path towards doom. Allphones is at the opposite end of that spectrum and puts them in the Wildcats' position of having to get a lot of people along to break even, so having AEG involved seems to make a lot of sense.
It still has the intrinsic issue of where it is located though, which is a tough one to overcome.

Reply #582792 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh, I missed this part before

"AEG Ogden also announced that experienced NBL franchise administrator, Mr Jeff Van Groningen, will be Managing Director of the new Sydney Kings."

I guess that's one of the things D4444 was alluding to.

Reply #582795 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Holy crap that's brilliant news!!

Reply #582796 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

How will they do at Allphones Arena when they average 3k attendance?

Reply #582803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news to have such a huge global name involved in ownership of a NBL club. I think a big club like Sydney needs big ownership. Think big, achieve big. There's no reason why the stadium can't be filled. A smaller city like Perth regularly clears 11k at their stadium. I recall when Perth first moved to the Arena there were question marks about how they'd fill it when they were used to only getting 4k at Challenge.

Reply #582804 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

But the difference is they were packing the 4K venue in a city that doesn't have so many options in comparison to Sydney.

But I would love to be proven wrong and it turn into a massive success. Would be huge for the NBL, but it needs to be an exciting, winning team. Sydneysiders don't come until you win.

Reply #582805 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

yeah but Perth Arena is in the city, Allphones Arena is in western sydney where nobody wants to go.

This ICC Sydney is right in the city, wonder how big it is capacity wise, and if so, potential for a long term future there?

Reply #582806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've followed the Kings from the state sports centre to sec to where they are going to now back to sec and finally back to state sports centre, except for the early nineties have always struggled to get over 5000 turn up regularly. Good luck with this again but even 10000 in this joint looks empty.
I also hope they realise that buying a championship quickly does not get you loyal fans and would rather they build a team and fan base together.
I wonder if Brian Gorgian is on the coaches list.

Reply #582808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would counter the "there are more options" theory with the argument that the population is bigger. It's a bigger city, there should be more options.

KET's point about the location of the venue might be a bit more pertinent though.

At the end of the day, it seemed like things were pretty bad under the previous ownership, so I guess things can only get better with these guys, right? At least it sounds like they are strong financially and well versed in sports and arena ownership/management.

Reply #582811 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Oracle arena is in Oakland... It still sells out. Get a good team in win some games and the fans will follow!

Reply #582814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last I heard today was Goorj had re signed or another season in China. He also wanted nothing to do with the former ownership group and here's hoping that might change his mind. No more Steve Dunne's or Hudson's too is supposed to be part of the deal too. With a genuine ownership group behind them hopefull the Kings will rise from the cellar in a hurry. Of course we won't mention JVG's nickname, Jeff Van Wrongagain will we ;)
If the new group manage Allphones then maybe some flexibility in stadium rent might help lower the break even point.

Reply #582818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Oracle arena is in Oakland... It still sells out. Get a good team in win some games and the fans will follow!"

Kings just need to use their marquee spot for Steph Curry and I bet the new stadium will be full every game just like Oracle is.

Reply #582820 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great to see this happen. Kestelman's model is to spend money to make money, the whole league is either going to succeed or fail under that model and this season was a reasonable start, so playing games between Allphones and ICC fits with that, and given the owners manage both those venues it's the best time to give it a shot in Sydney.

Reply #582827 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Spot on Paul the way things were going with the Kings wasn't good it was looking like they were trying to do everything possible to fk it up for the new NBL and trying to keep a big name like Childress in the league along with his Warrick/Harrington connections.

The Kings will be getting away from that tin shed the Razorbacks used to play at and in to a proper professional stadium with room for growth and should make returning to the Kings more enticing for Childress too. Hopefully.

Can't complain about a big money organisation that part owns the Lakers buying into an NBL team and keep in mind JVG was responsible for getting the NBL back on FTA TV last time round.

I'm impressed with what LK has been doing since taking over the NBL.

Reply #582836 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Kings just need to use their marquee spot for Steph Curry and I bet the new stadium will be full every game just like Oracle is.

Warriors were filling the stadium even when they sucked and/or didn't have Curry

Reply #582838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am impressed that the Kings owners decided to walk!

Reply #582839 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I gather at least some owners have retained a part share of the business since the announcement clearly states that AEG Odgen is the majority owner. I just hope they are not a silent majority.

Reply #582844 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I understand there is next-to no promotion of the Kings in Sydney. Seeing as the new owners have some money behind them, hopefully that will change.

A few good imports and some wins, some publicity, and maybe in time they can replicate what Melbourne and Perth have done.

It wont be immediate, though. But if Sydney used to fill big stadiums, and they have youth programs that are bursting at the seams, then the foundation is there. Perhaps its just been used poorly for the past decade?

I'd love nothing more than for this to work out for them. But it will start with a few hideous showings on TV with near-empty stadium.

Reply #582846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No more Hudsons will be a definite start and JVG wont take any shit.

Reply #582847 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What about Kochy?

Reply #582848 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

As a Kings fan this is great news! The Kings have easily been the most disfuctional franchise since the re-entered the league. So I don't see them getting any worse, especially considering these new owners seem to have money.

Reply #582851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is this not a massive conflict of interest?
The owners of one team control the venues for at least 3 others...
What's next, we let the Refs buy one of the teams?

Reply #582856 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I have to say, after nearly 12hrs of mulling this over, I still think it's a fantastic result... Clearing out the mess of the ownership and also hopefully the Hudsons as well and then that will be a nice clean slate to work with... Pretty sure I read an ABC article that said that AEG Ogden had taken a 100% controlling interest, as I was incredibly shocked that the owners, especially those that were happy to run the team into the ground if they were able to do whatever they wanted... They're saying all the right things moving forward so I guess we shall see in the coming fortnight just how serious they are... It is a good feeling having a single owner with the focus and cash behind them to make the Kings great again...

I actually had the crazy thought after reading something along the lines of them looking to spend up on players and just as importantly, coaches, that just maybe, the Great One could return? Or at the very least, they could afford and have made the right moves to prove themselves to the next qualified option?

A couple of concerns though... One is of course the venue size... As the anon stated above, even with 10,000 in it, it still looks empty and from memory last time we were out there, really struggles for an atmosphere as well, which is something that the players commented on being much improved at the tin shed, for all its other faults...

As for location and being out at Homebush, plenty of other sports teams draw crowds out there and Allphones with so much better parking and facilities is a much more appealing prospect...

Is the ICC Sydney venue going to be the theatre? I thought that was going to be a clamshell design that is COMPLETELY wrong for basketball?

The other concern is JvG... Hasn't he been around some shenanigans in the past? (to put it nicely) People in Kings fans groups have been spouting about how good a choice he is, is that all behind him now?

Reply #582857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were the old owners looking to sell? Or did lk work his magic to sweeten the deal? Great move for the NBL. I live this game

Reply #582862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope the Koch klown is gone one and for all.

Reply #582866 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Look what Melbourne United did, if Sydney get their marketing and promotion strategy right, draft and put together a decent team and get a good coach they can draw a crowd no doubt.

They just need more luck than last season, especially with injuries and maybe a few home games early might help them get some wins on the board to start the 2016-17 season...

Reply #582868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There has been talk last season of a change and I for one am glad it has occurred. Otherwise in another few season the Kings would be gone.
If you are worried about a conflict of interest look at LK owning the NBL, the United and the Bullets that's of concern if you are that paranoid that MANAGING venues is a coi.
Hopefully next season will be a blinder and the Kings haven't left it too late to secure a shit hot coach who the Hudsons selected nor any of their recommendations for imports of players.

Reply #582869 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If I was asking for their dream draw next season start it may look like this.

Home game v Illawarra promoted as a huge rivalry game.
Home game v Brisbane promoted as a State of Origin type of game, welcome the new team and all that.
Home game v Melbourne United and bring the hype.

May cop an away game, but then try and get another one at home, then another rivalry game at Illawarra.

Just to set up the season, maybe some tough games, but the NBL will be tough going as teams work themselves out in early games, however something like this as a starter could be what attracts Sydney people back to the hard wood...

Reply #582870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-announce-allphones-arena-as-new-home-venue-introduce-new-managing-director/news-story/9a4f9bb2818c484801b4985106bc3bb2

I see Tim Hudson quoted. That's a worry and definitely talking ICC December!

Reply #582872 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Lots of contradictory reports regarding who is already gone & who might be staying. Fox Sports also quoted Tim Hudson as follows:

Sydney Kings head of basketball operations Tim Hudson is excited about the new majority ownership, and hopes it can revive the franchise.

"It's exciting. It’s very exciting," Hudson told foxsports.com.au.

“To have that kind of brand behind the Kings brand is a massive association.

“I’m excited about what this partnership means, and what this could do for the Sydney Kings. Now that a structure is in place, decisions can be made.”

They featured a photo showing JvG with AEG Odgen chairman & "Kings chairman Phil Hudson".
http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/sydney-kings-announce-allphones-arena-as-new-home-venue-introduce-new-managing-director/news-story/9a4f9bb2818c484801b4985106bc3bb2

Reply #582873 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I see that Telegraph story was simply a reprint of the Fox Sports article.

Reply #582874 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Harvey Lister has been linked to NBL quite frequently hasn't he?

Apparently him and JVG and visited the Lakers and Spurs recently to see how it's done.

Lister is stated to expecting Kings to make the finals next season, anything less being unacceptable and willing to finance it.

Reply #582875 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

That's a great idea Bear... and could possibly happen, look what happened with United this season just gone... Their huge run of home games at the start combined with going all out with marketing and getting as many bums on seats and providing not just a great on court but off court effort as possible, really set them up...

Hopefully the combination of owning the arena and knowing that getting off to a good start and throwing money at it could help kick their season off to a great start (provided they have the coach and team behind them to actually put the wins on the board)

Part of the problem with injuries last season, apart from the freakish nature of them, was that there was no cover when the very few key players went down... If we had Lisch when Chill went down, the damage would have been lessened, no doubt, but we had Thornton... Hopefully they can fix that this season with a lot more top quality starters and better bench depth, so if something like that DOES happen again, they're better covered...

A huge thing was that they didn't start training until probably nearly every other team had started pre-season training... Sure, Cairns were one of the first and that didn't help them, but hopefully they're the exception to the rule...

Reply #582876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't no why everyone is bagging tim Hudson , how many of you know what he actually does. My thoughts are that he had probably to do what the old owners wanted on shoe string budget. Also Sydney is so different from Melbourne, people will start to turn up when they start winning. Homebush is much better for parking but they better work on the cost to park, on memory the first hour is $25 and I think it goes less after that but for three hours at least $50, plus tickets and food you got one expensive night.
I have followed the Kings for years and am very happy with what looks like happening but it's better to take it steady than in two years be back to where we are as the new owners realise it's not the cash cow they thought it was, sometimes short term pain for long term game.

Reply #582877 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

$25-50 for parking? Jesus. That's ridiculous.

Reply #582878 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I think parking is $5/hour or $25 flat rate:
http://www.allphonesarena.com.au/venue_information/parking.aspx

Reply #582879 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

$25-50 for parking? Jesus. That's ridiculous.

Welcome to Sydney, where not only sporting teams compete for your dollar, but parking venues do too!

I haven't been out there for ages, but I remember last time the Kings were out there we pre-paid parking which wasn't so bad... I can't see it being that for the first hour, that would be stupid...

The Kings had a members survey where they sought interest for members parking discounts, I certainly hope that's the case at the new venue as well...

It's hard to judge Timmy completely, as he's obviously had the same bosses as everyone else to work for, and he's had his good points, but the fact that coming in he wasn't really qualified and his daddy is (hopefully soon to be 'was') the chairman and overall, who is partly responsible for running the team into the ground, he's got to cop the negative part of nepotism as well as reap the reqwards of it...

Apparently there is a more detailed article coming out today from that Foxsports guy who interviewed JvG yesterday... very keen to hear if it's got any substance in it...

Reply #582887 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not familiar with the area, is there no public transport?

Reply #582908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's trains, but no one in Sydney wants to catch trains...particularly at night

Reply #582909 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

When the Kings played their previously there was a deal where you could pre book for the entire season at a reduced rate. It wasn't too bad and they should look at doing that again. Also meant missing the lineup of people trying to pay on the way out

Reply #582911 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Not familiar with the area, is there no public transport?

Trains are pretty close, but it's off the main line on pretty much it's own dedicated line, so if there isn't a large event on, it's not very frequent to get back to the main line...

Reply #582916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most people in and around the club know of Tim, his connection to his father, the Razorbacks and West Sydney and the decisions he has personally responsible for in selecting players.
Let's hope that interference is no longer. Slect the best Head Coach and leave him to it. No drunken board members ever again, no board members interfering an anything ever again. If the HC who gets the job and gets his own side and fails so be it. Bye.

Reply #582920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This article sheds a bit more light on the sudden ownership change.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-change-of-ownership-sees-them-move-games-to-allphones-arena-20160313-gnhptf.html

Reply #582927 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well at least this will bring some stability to the Kings and help them attract and retain talent.
IIRC correctly most of their players are out of contract, and a few of them might have been targets for recruitment, with better organised teams seeming a preferred destination.

Assume they will be going after Vickerman (and maybe even Gleeson) with both barrels.

Reply #582928 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So the take out from that SMH article is

Gone:

Head coach Joe Connelly
CEO Craig Meagher
Head of Basketball Operations Tim Hudson

Players under contract:

Julian Khazzouh
Jeromie Hill

Josh Childress has a 'special clause' to come back if he wants to.

Reply #582930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the Tigers!

Reply #582932 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There was a photo taken of Andrew Bynum in Sydney today. The pic is posted in the Sydney Kings Fans Facebook group.

Reply #582934 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

They said they will start Allphones arena with a capacity of 7000 and build fro m there.

Reply #582951 | Report this post

Ugly Igley  
Years ago

Vickerman confirmed as candidate for head coach

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/31085275/new-owners-demand-nbl-finals-for-kings/

Reply #582969 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

They said they will start Allphones arena with a capacity of 7000 and build from there.

Yeah, apparently they can structure it in phases, but it's still going to struggle to work the atmosphere... Hopefully winning will help, and an improved game night presentation, but the crowd really struggles to keep themselves motivated in Sydney, it's really shocking tbh, so anything working against them won't really help at all...

Reply #582982 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Zodiac, Brandt is also under contract.

As much as Sydney really need a coach, is Vickerman the right coach? Don't get me wrong, he's a great coach, however I think we need a more vocal coach (Dennis or Beveridge would've been perfect).

Reply #583004 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Rex, Brandt has an option, apparently... Not sure if it's team or player...

I agree that Dennis or Bevo would have been much more ideal, but since they are both locked in for multiple seasons, the next best (current) option I think is Vickerman...

That is, unless the Basketball Gods shine down on us and they can afford and convince The Great One to return...

Would be happy with DV though...

Reply #583007 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Great news re: the new ownership group, obviously. A strong Sydney team is good for the league - as an added bonus, it's good for me too. ;)

As far as coach goes, at this point, I'll take experience over every single thing else. Vickerman is exactly the kind of guy we haven't gone with previously, so more than worth a roll of the dice if he's interested IMO, unless a better candidate appears. Before the change in ownership I'd say that was doubtful, but I guess we'll see now.

Good opportunity to start fresh with the roster, too. I hope Brandt is under contract but thought he wasn't (player option maybe)? Inking a strong Aussie starter would be a huge boon, and agree with the comments on going with experience over "flash" with the import spots - I would have loved Jamar Wilson last season, and I'm not even a huge fan of his. Just having a guy who can handle pressure and put points on the board consistently would have been huge.

I don't even think you necessarily avoid picking rookies over experience either, just base your personnel decisions on basketball reasons, and not entertainment reasons... at the end of the day, flash might put some bums in seats for the short term, but it's wins that will keep them there long term..

Reply #583008 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Wow, I didn't know that, let's hope it's a team option cos Brandt still has some huge potential.

I wasn't doubting Vickerman, just questioning whether he was right for us, although with that being said, I'd love to have coach our squad.

Wilson is an interesting option, one that I didn't even think of, personally I wouldn't mind having him, however I'm pretty sure he said that he's played his last season in the NBL, although I can't confirm that.

For Aussies I wouldn't mind a rookie (although it would be best to avoid it), however for imports, just because of our track record, I think we should stray away from them...

Reply #583010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings should take best available coach and players, some Sydney locals that can play would also be good.
Gordgian coached Kings in there most successful time but the fans were low in numbers yet when Turner coached Kings the crowds were up. Sydney like winners but it also has to be entertaining, Childress is a must with a few good defensive players plus a point guard to get team around the floor.

Reply #583011 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Jamar Wilson was apparently last offseason - he expressed interest in the Kings, but the Kings weren't interested, opting with the NBA draft pick. Same was apparently true with Lisch, but I haven't heard that from anywhere outside of Boti (the Wilson comment comes from one of the new ownership group).

Reply #583014 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Why wouldn't you want Vickerman? He's a proven winner.
You could argue that he benefited greatly from Lemanis' legacy and the Breakers systems, but at worst he will be able to bring what he has learned.
(At best, he's the guy that took a struggled, fractured team, brought them back from the brink, and to a 2nd GF.)

Besides, personally, in a situation like this, possibly looking at rebuilding, an experienced coach is what Sydney needs.
The new ownership and management is a HUGE step in the right direction, but if you want to retain key players, and attract new quality, a coach who's a known (winning) quantity is better.
Especially considering that Brissy will be trying to hoover up all the available local talent.

Reply #583020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The word is they are getting a big name coach from overseas, don't have the names yet.

They're looking to do what the United did, they brought in a coach with no head coaching experience, but put a good regular season team on the floor, it bit them in the ass in the finals.

Honestly nothing to do with the coaching, ur only as good as your players, case closed.

If they get a great coach and comeback with the same players they'll finish last again.

And stop with the fucking Goorgian, he's not coming back. there are still good coaches in Australia, but no one gives them a chance.

Changing coaches and ur roster every year doesn't help, i think perth and new zealand prove that, people come in and try to win straight away and it never happens. You gotta build it with keeping players & imports (beal & ced Jackson) and even trying to keep coaches, bringing a guy in for a year or replacing someone without giving them another chance doesn't help.

If you haven't coached before 'STFU' all the keyboard CEOs, Owners & Managers u guys fucking kill me

Reply #583100 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

What would happen if members got public transport like the Wildcats have?

Andrew Bynum in the Kings team?

That would be great to see them go the twin towers with Khazzouh or Brandt on court with him.

Can't imagine Garlepp will get a new contract as Hill is still contracted

Reply #583103 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

After what the new ownership has said re: the mistakes of the last couple of seasons both in the import and coaching situations (pedigree over production), I would be surprised if we see the likes of Bynum - one of the worst flameouts in NBA history - and some unknown American coach.

Reply #583108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope you are correct Angus, even making statements like we must play finals is counter productive. Cats and breakers show how it's done, get a list that can play and tweek it yearly, get an excellent coach and set reasonable goals but try and keep a core group together so the public get to know there players. You can then buy your favourite player singlet and no it should be good for a while.

Reply #583112 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"even making statements like we must play finals is counter productive"

I agree. I cringe a little when I hear things like that.
Everyone wants to make the finals every season - that should go without saying. Half the teams won't though, that's the mathematical reality. That doesn't mean they're all failures as organisations.

Sydney finished the season with the wooden spoon and the perception as a bit of a basket case, so IMO there is plenty of scope for them to have a successful 2016/17 without necessarily making the playoffs.
They need to not go 6-22 again. I don't think any NBL fan wants to see any* team be that bad, because that's bad for the whole league.

Just for starters they need to put a roster together that doesn't scream "bargain basement" so that fans actually have some cause for optimism. Hopefully find an import with some entertainment value to go with it. They've got a lot of seats to fill now.
Their record in the 6 seasons since re-launching is 58-110 (0.345) and their best season is 12-16. Ugly stuff. Results-wise, just getting near .500 would be a good start.

* Possible exception: Perth Wildcats ;)

Reply #583115 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Changing coaches and ur roster every year doesn't help, i think perth and new zealand prove that, people come in and try to win straight away and it never happens. You gotta build it with keeping players & imports (beal & ced Jackson) and even trying to keep coaches, bringing a guy in for a year or replacing someone without giving them another chance doesn't help.

See, this argument always annoys me... What happens when you get the wrong people in, do you persist with them even though they're shit? You'd prefer to keep players like Thornton just because he's been on the team? The logic is flawed... Teams like Perth and NZ are completely different cases as they've brought in quality players or players at very early stages of their career (in NZs case, have brought them up through their development schools?) and grown them into starter quality players, or in Perths case, benefited from a team going under to score a quality coach and a handful of quality players.

In the Kings case, we scored good with Madge, but like all other recent quality Kings players, he left for greener pastures overseas... Jules did it, so did AJ and Bose, what other players would you have REALLY wanted to keep over the last few seasons since being back?

If you haven't coached before 'STFU' all the keyboard CEOs, Owners & Managers u guys fucking kill me

This old chestnut, you're full of them today... Just because people haven't done something doesn't mean they can't have an opinion on it or criticise it... It's been pretty clear a lot of the flaws of the Kings the previous years and just because I've never owned an NBL team, or run an NBL team or played on an NBL team or coached and NBL team, doesn't mean I can't pick out the people who are doing a shit job...

What would happen if members got public transport like the Wildcats have?

The trains and such are actually pretty good, but I think it would be good if a special timetable was run at the times that there were games and travel was included in the price of a ticket, like NRL/AFL games do... Having bus shuttle between the venue and the nearest station on the main line would be a big help as well... Really push the connection between the team the stadium and the city itself...

Not sure how possible this is, but hopefully improving public transport to the venue is on the (long) list of things to look into...

Timing games with other sports/events out there would be good too, especially since the arena is MUCH closer to the main sports hub and not stuck in the back corner... Ticket discounts for both events would be a good way to get extra people through the door...

Can't imagine Garlepp will get a new contract as Hill is still contracted

I'd rather they move Tommy to the bench and cut hill loose, tbh... I know he had a raw deal last season with some injuries and odd playing time, but I can't see how he really fits in properly and would rather him go than Tommy...

Reply #583116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hill playing for north Sydney in the Waratah league under Ben Knight can't see him being moved on.

Reply #583120 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think Hill has more to offer than he showed last season as a stretch 4, but ideally it would be as a 7th or 8th man. Having Hill and Tommy - assuming you don't have Tommy starting, which to me is key to improving our woeful D - is a waste as they both fill a similar role, although Tommy is obviously miles better on the offensive end right now.

Kings should take this opportunity to massively overhaul the roster, especially in the backcourt. Cadee is great as first guard off the bench, but we need a steady, experienced import at PG, and someone a bit like Madgen at the 2 spot.... ;)

Reply #583124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow AEG becoming involved with the Kings goes to show the confidence a LK run league has created to major organisations.

They are a venue/event expert so I hold high hopes, unlike the Macquarie syndicate who were merely financiers with NFI about sports and entertainment ( Kochie lol).

Reply #583146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings new MD is saying all the right things but if they hired a coach who isn't respected by the players or instill defense then expect the Violent Crumble to return!

BTW, why did McQuade write this story.?

He's been disrespected by the Kings ownership and office staff for years. One would think by now he would of had enough of being treated like SHIT!!

Or.. is he sucking up to Van Groningen to get in good with the new ownership group to become their media manager again?

Reply #583318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hearing an ex Nbl coach that has coached in the last three years. I'm also hearing Hudson is gone.
Anyone got correct info:)

Reply #583320 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

That has coached in the NBL in the last 3 years, or just has coached in the last three years?

Correct info would be appreciated... I know it's only been a week, but still! #Impatient

Reply #583343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the Nbl in the last three years.so gordie m , vickerman off the top my head.

Reply #583346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Andrew Gaze turned the job down.

Reply #583351 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Wookie,
You're right that under-performers shouldn't be retained just so they can have continuity. Lack of continuity is mostly a symptom rather than a direct effect.

But its also about having realistic expectations, and about the way a team goes about building a squad. Looking for players who will continue to develop, rather than trying to build a championship winning team from scratch. Its about looking a few years down the track.
Look at someone like Cadee as a hypothetical example: Is he good enough to be the starting PG? Possibly not, but could he get there in a season or two, and go on from there? That's a judgement to be made by the coach(es) but its the question that needs to be asked.

Under the PPR system (which rumour has it may be scrapped) the Wildcats get 12 points discount for loyalty. That's better than a whole extra top-notch player. If the system isn't scrapped then other teams really need to start building those discounts to be competitive.

Reply #583359 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Daz,

I completely agree about building for the future and have been a big advocate for it... I think shooting for a championship straight away is a dangerous game and while it should be a focus in building a strong and competitive team, a bunch of one hit wonders that aren't going to work as a team or be together a few seasons, is the wrong way to go about it... I think the talk of that from the Kings new owners and JvG is just a commitment to doing the right things to get the team back on track and have quality players... We had a couple last season, but some really poor decisions as well... The depth wasn't there, they were just filling gaps and that didn't do anyone any good...

I've been a big Cadee fan and I think expectations of him have been a bit unrealistic, which is why I was happy to have Markovic come back this season gone and be able to work with him, although that didn't work out. Both him and Brandt are great local options that should be in it for the long term... That ticks both the long term and local boxes, which is important, especially when trying to bring the West back into the Kings family...

I think a large part of not being able to grow long term success is not having those 2-3 long term high quality local players... Madge was starting to get that way, but then got injured and then was clearly focused on getting his numbers up so he could go OS... With Jules back, hopefully we can fill that hole, but there needs to be more... We can't just rely on imports who may or may not return, and that's why I was glad when JvG was quoted as saying they were chasing high quality local talent as well, so fingers crossed...

First things first though, 10 days until FA officially is up for grabs... No teams yet have announced any resigning players, so fingers crossed that the Kings are in the hunt for what we need...

Reply #583363 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

Be careful you might get the wish you ask for. The history of the Kings franchise could easily be a movie. In the eighties under Bob Turner and others the Kings averaged about 6000. Gordgian arrived with his robotic boring but effective system and despite winning championships, having recruited 5 Boomers the crowds disintegrated and atone game the numbers dropped to 1490.
In Bruce Bolden's day with the Kings they imported and released 9 Americans in just 1 season. so claiming that recent disfunction is a one off is making me smile.
The recently departed owners I understand gave their time and cash on the hope of getting a dividend back in the third year. So i'm not sure if they would have gone on losing money next season.
Mcleod would bring a grinding system, Vickerman enjoyed the fruits of Lemanis in Auckland, an American Coach would need a great deal of help in recruiting local labour.
Oh yes the new owners are keen to risk millions on having a super team. Will this mean ignoring the salary cap or have they not been told yet

Reply #583374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm in agreement with wookie, I want to build a club with regular support, like NZ and Perth. Talking about semi finals should be kept in house. Part of the problem with Gorgian teams is that the players changed yearly, favourite player here one year gone the next. I know players have to chase the money but fans relate more to loyalty. Winning is required but want to build our team.

Reply #583380 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think you're using history a bit to suit your own needs... Crowd numbers on average in the last season were similar to what they were last season, I agree that they dropped from about 7500 around the time of the first championship, but the more championships they won, the less they got out there and rested on their laurels... They expected the people to come just because they were winning, but I never got the "boring" label... My wife came to the games in those days and she didn't have any interest in basketball but always enjoyed herself...

Pretty sure Brian didn't recruit 5 Boomers, but he certainly turned a couple of Div 2 players into Boomers... One of the best qualities of Goorj was that he got the best out of all his players, even those like Kingma!

9 imports in one season is mental, I don't think we're saying that the madness is limited to these owners, just that they've so royally screwed things up...

The recently departed owners I understand gave their time and cash on the hope of getting a dividend back in the third year. So i'm not sure if they would have gone on losing money next season.

Well they should have done a better job then... Having NO marketing and running a team like your own fantasy basketball team will never turn out well...

Mcleod would bring a grinding system, Vickerman enjoyed the fruits of Lemanis in Auckland, an American Coach would need a great deal of help in recruiting local labour.

Agreed... But Vickerman still managed ok with a good team with some ups and downs and for the American coach, it seems that JvG is going to be very hands on, so I don't think that would be a problem...

Oh yes the new owners are keen to risk millions on having a super team. Will this mean ignoring the salary cap or have they not been told yet

Maybe they got some tips from LK, or his other mate just south of Sydney who went bust to avoid all his debts then came back hard, trying to buy them a championship too?

Reply #583390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when has there been an enforceable salary cap?

Reply #583405 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754