Isaac
Years ago

Simmons to declare for NBA draft

LSU freshman Ben Simmons told ESPN that he will hire an agent and declare for the NBA draft.

"I'm making it official," Simmons said late Sunday night.
Simmons entered the season as the top freshman in the country and was the only player to average more than 19 points, 11 rebounds and four assists.

According to numerous NBA executives, Simmons is expected to be taken either first or second in the June 23 NBA draft.
Full story

Topic #39173 | Report this topic

spot up  
Years ago

Kinda hoping he goes No. 2. Doesn't mean much really, but less pressure couldn't hurt.

Reply #583445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to him, hopefully will be a hell of a ride for the next 15 years!

Reply #583446 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ben Simmons has withdrawn from school officially and is moving to Phoenix until the NBA Draft, source tells @SNYtv
r/NBA comment:
Has a player ever made this big of a mockery of the one year college requirement

Reply #583455 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Fair call. And frankly it deserves to be made a mockery of.

Reply #583456 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

The college systems absolutely woeful. Im hoping that the someone else besides the 76ers snags the no. 1 for his sake

Reply #583457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess he wont be risking injury at the Olympics at this point. Hope not anyways from his point of view...

Reply #583465 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Simmons : goes to school, drops out as soon as possible

Exum : doesn't go to school, doesn't show scouts his game in a season of college ball.

Which is better?

Let's be honest any potential top 5 draft picks aren't really that interested in the first year of a college degree anyway.

Reply #583467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ofcourse not, why would they be!? You go to universities like those to get the smarts in a particular field to make some $$$ in a set career path. The NBA comes calling and that changes your university goals. Sure there has been a heap of players who went to college projected as a top 5-10 and all they got out of college was a degree in something, and their poor game exposed. Goes both ways. Id rather flunk oceanography and sign an NBA contract haha

Reply #583468 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I believe everyone expected this, so why all the angst at the college system?

Really, there are thousands of kids attending hundreds of colleges in the States, there are thousands doing it here too, and millions all over the globe.

The difference is every once in a while someone gifted, talented and with the opportunity to make it to the pro's comes along and doesn't need the whole box and dice of a college degree, so what, it's about choices and the choice has been made!

I do think it is better some people get over themselves about bagging something they obviously know very little about...

Reply #583471 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I believe everyone expected this, so why all the angst at the college system?
Because it's awful?

Really, there are thousands of kids attending hundreds of colleges in the States, there are thousands doing it here too, and millions all over the globe.
The vast majority of whom don't have to deal with arbitrary and stupid rules put in place by the NBA, NFL, and NCAA. Nobody's talking about the people who are just there as students.

The difference is every once in a while someone gifted, talented and with the opportunity to make it to the pro's comes along and doesn't need the whole box and dice of a college degree, so what, it's about choices and the choice has been made!
Yes, that choice has been made...by the NBA.

Seriously, you think Simmons would have bothered with college if he were allowed to go pro straight out of high school?

Reply #583472 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So what's your point?

Over analyse someone's post all you want, you have still made no sense whatsoever...

Reply #583475 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The college athletics system is awful, the NBA mandating that players spend at least one year being horribly exploited by it is awful, and Simmons getting out after that year and others going to college for actual educational reasons, or attending other tertiary educational institutions, doesn't change any of that.

Reply #583477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not awful in my opinion. Gives the NBA one season to keep on eye on the player and make sure he is going to be a good fit for the NBA brand later on.

All good to let the kids go straight to the NBA, but this way, if the player ends up doing something stupid in college ie take drugs sexual assault and be a general knuckle head, strong chance he doesn't go to the show. This rule helps protect the NBA brand that bit more even if the sample size to analyse the player is one season at college. Now go ahead and copy and paste my post to death.

Reply #583478 | Report this post

Anonymouse  
Years ago

The college athletics system isn't perfect, but if I was growing up in a house with no father in poverty and with a sporting talent I, and thousands of others, would think the system is pretty good.

Reply #583479 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Because of the millions of dollars a college will pay you to play for them?

Reply #583480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some idiot said
The college athletics system isn't perfect, but if I was growing up in a house with no father in poverty and with a sporting talent I, and thousands of others, would think the system is pretty good.
So has no Dad and poverty, OMFG.

Reply #583481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz you have an opinion, great and good for you, it doesn't mean you are right and others are wrong for their opinion. You act like your opinion is the only one that counts yet you are unable to recognise other have their own point of view and are entitled to it.

Reply #583483 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The college athletics system is awful, the NBA mandating that players spend at least one year being horribly exploited by it is awful,

How is any of this awful?
Why is the system awful and how is someone horribly exploited?

Awful in your opinion, fine mate you can say what you want but others may not see it that way...

Reply #583484 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

BTW I am not advocating that the NCAA or it's system is perfect, nor is the way players are drafted into the NBA, what's perfect these days?

It is what it is, rules are there in black and white and there are reasons for them, to be sure.

Far as I can see there have been no rules broken, maybe someone's morals are hurt, but people will get what they want if they are prepared to work for it, so good luck to Ben and those who will follow.

Until the system changes or rules are amended, this is what it is, as complex as it may be or as beneficial to some as it may be...

Reply #583485 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

koberulz you have an opinion, great and good for you, it doesn't mean you are right and others are wrong for their opinion. You act like your opinion is the only one that counts yet you are unable to recognise other have their own point of view and are entitled to it.
Ah, the 'everyone has a right to their opinion, so stop expressing yours' argument.

Why is the system awful and how is someone horribly exploited?
The key contributors to a multibillion-dollar industry are unpaid, while absurd restrictions are placed on them right down to how much food they're allowed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Bannon_v._NCAA
The NCAA maintains that paying its athletes would be a violation of its concept of amateurism in sports.[3] At stake are "billions of dollars in television revenues and licensing fees."[4]
That's the NCAA arguing it should be able to use a former college athlete's likeness for commercial purposes, long after that athlete has already gone pro, in order to make themselves billions of dollars.

And sure, they get college scholarships, but they're pushed into classes they'll pass easily, so as to allow them to meet academic standards required to compete, so their educations are worthless. This is even more true of the one-and-done players the NBA has mandated for the past decade.

And if they get injured? They get tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills, and lose their scholarship. So if they're actually in a position to need a degree, they won't be able to get one.

And because the NCAA is raking in $13 billion a year and can't pay it to the players, because that would be awful, everyone else gets to be multimillionaires.

http://www.amazon.com/Indentured-Inside-Story-Rebellion-Against/dp/1591846323

Reply #583486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of copying and pasting to be done here Koberulz! Rebut rebut!!!

NBA is a business and it has to be able to protect its image etc. If the players don't like it, go play OS, ala Jennings Mudiay, or play a season in the College system, and if your good enough get set up for life a year later in the NBA system. They pay the dollars to set the rules.

Reply #583487 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Somehow I knew you might try to use John Oliver's argument, not give us your own, shame really.

I have seen this, entertaining as it is, it doesn't support the Ben Simmons case in point, it is relevant in making other points about the money being made by the NCAA, sure, but it doesn't make what 'one and done' players are doing a bad thing nor does it support any theory they are being exploited...

If anything, you could argue 'one and done' players sometimes exploit the system to their advantage, good for them!

Reply #583488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, that's is all well to go into etc BUT it is the rules these kids simply have to play by if they want to have the shot at making MILLIONS, then they will do it. These kids don't want a degree in engineering nor do their parents care for that. They are at the big schools with one ambition on their minds. Make the NBA and make the $. The NCAA aspect is seen to be like a year in training, its not ideal but its the way it has been set up. In my opinion its a small price to pay for these kids with the aspirations to be millionaires.

Reply #583489 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

it doesn't make what 'one and done' players are doing a bad thing
Nobody said it does.

That they're made to do it is the bad thing.

If anything, you could argue 'one and done' players sometimes exploit the system to their advantage, good for them!
Really? Remind me again how many millions Ben Simmons made this past year?

A lot of copying and pasting to be done here Koberulz! Rebut rebut!
Of all the stupid notions that fly around this forum, 'copying and pasting is bad' is by far the worst. Oh no, I'm making conversation coherent. How awful of me.

And frankly, it seems less stupid than the alternative of manually retyping someone else's post.

Reply #583490 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Koberulz, that's is all well to go into etc BUT it is the rules these kids simply have to play by if they want to have the shot at making MILLIONS, then they will do it. These kids don't want a degree in engineering nor do their parents care for that. They are at the big schools with one ambition on their minds. Make the NBA and make the $. The NCAA aspect is seen to be like a year in training, its not ideal but its the way it has been set up. In my opinion its a small price to pay for these kids with the aspirations to be millionaires.
That assumes you don't get a serious injury while you're in college.

Or that you're one of the 95% of college athletes that never gets a professional gig.

Reply #583491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh Kobe im just messing with ya, because you a pain in the ass and cant have it all your way is all. The copy and paste routine makes sense, its just that you rebut every little comment made on here, and its kind of annoying. But carry on, Bear is winning this round. IMO!

Reply #583492 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@koberulz, this statement (below) is too general now, it used to happen a bit but it doesn't happen like that these days, Ben's experience kind of proves it.

~ And sure, they get college scholarships, but they're pushed into classes they'll pass easily, so as to allow them to meet academic standards required to compete, so their educations are worthless. This is even more true of the one-and-done players the NBA has mandated for the past decade. ~

Colleges need to protect their reputation as educational establishments and a player can risk his/her scholarship if they don't meet standards.

My experience is that if a player on a scholarship is there to study and learn, gain a degree and an education, then the university will generally support them every way they can.

What the article suggests is an exception, rather than the norm...

Reply #583493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah well if you get injured, then that's just bad luck now isn't it. No one is holding a gun to their heads saying they have to play college. Go to Europe or play for the Cats then... That point doesn't hold any water.

Reply #583494 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Post #583490 just doesn't make sense, I am out of this one now, said all I care to say, cheers...

Reply #583495 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Colleges need to protect their reputation as educational establishments and a player can risk his/her scholarship if they don't meet standards.
Seriously? Simmons was made ineligible for an award, and missed five minutes of playing time. That's it.

And what article are you talking about? I linked to a Wikipedia page, a YouTube video and a book. Are you referring to an article cited by one of those?

Yeah well if you get injured, then that's just bad luck now isn't it. No one is holding a gun to their heads saying they have to play college. Go to Europe or play for the Cats then... That point doesn't hold any water.
We're talking about 17- and 18-year-old kids, and you want them to travel halfway around the world to play pro basketball, with nothing more than a high school resume, in a league that will get nowhere near the attention of the NCAA and thus drop their draft position?

They could, but to pretend it's an obvious and easy option is absurd. If it was, literally nobody would get drafted into the NBA out of college because the only players left playing college ball would be the ones who aren't good enough to go pro.

Reply #583496 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Post #583490 just doesn't make sense, I am out of this one now, said all I care to say, cheers...
Yeah, I botched a quote tag.

Essentially, it's bad that the NBA is forcing players to go through the NCAA system, it's ridiculous to say Simmons is exploiting anything given the millions he would have made this year coming out of high school, and some of the anons on here have ridiculous ideas about what constitutes a good argument.

Reply #583497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#facepalm

Reply #583498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They aren't forcing them to do anything! They can go play in Europe Mudiay did so did Jennings and then they went to the NBA.

Reply #583499 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

My question is, does the d league count as playing professionally for one season. Because if it does, that could be an option for players likely to do a 1 and done, and still gives the NBA a look for a year.

Reply #583501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gives the NBA one season to keep on eye on the player and make sure he is going to be a good fit for the NBA brand later on.
I can't see how it does that at all in terms of the NBA using it as a 'gate' to be passed.

I imagine the setup occurs almost entirely due to the lobbying efforts from the NCAA to maintain power. And given that it helps build hype for players before they arrive in the NBA, the league isn't going to sulk about that either.

Reply #583502 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The rule was brought in to keep players from entering the NBA too young, similar to the AFL with year 12 students, have a read of this, there are plenty of articles on it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2014/05/18/the-inevitable-death-of-nbas-one-and-done-rule/#4e9501551600

A quote from the article:

Basketball players who wish to perform in the NBA must be at least nineteen-years-old and one year removed from high school. Otherwise, those players are not eligible to enter their names into the annual NBA Draft. This is known as the NBA's one-and-done rule, which was first established with the 2006 NBA Draft and remains in place today.

It is no secret that the NBA wishes to end the one-and-done rule and replace it with a version that requires basketball players to be at least two years removed from high school before entering the NBA Draft.

Whether it is good for the game or not is irrelevant, if they don't like it players can wait another year!

Reply #583503 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The problem with the rule is not the entry age for participants into the NBA. It is the lack of a viable alternative route to obtaining a professional career other than going through forced higher education (in respect of which not all individuals have the interest or aptitude). The ESPN 30 for 30 doco on the Fab Five shows that the business of exploiting student athletes is no new experience.

Reply #583504 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Certainly a flawed system but it seems to be exploited both ways. Players (like Simmons) use it to their advantage when necessary, and athletes are certainly exploited by the system. They have the option of getting a free education - in the end it is up to them if that take up that option, or bank on being good enough to put everything into a pro career.

Reply #583507 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So the problem is exploitation, within a system that allows people to choose the way they want to go and what they want to get from it.

The problem is that everyone wants to make a buck, really??

The problem is an education is offered, but you don't even have to choose to continue on that pathway if you are good enough to go pro.

The problem is that millions of dollars in the NBA isn't enough?

The problem is that the USA is a capitalist and entrepreneurial nation that although has had its issues in the past, still offers more opportunity than almost any other nation on earth.

The problem may be that some people expect or are looking for utopia, however when they can't find it they want to point fingers at everything or anything they can to make their point...

Reply #583508 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

At the end of the day it's probably more an odd system than a flawed one I suppose, and we don't have anything in Australia that compares to it.

I love watching a good game of college bball, so I guess it works for me!

Reply #583510 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The rule was brought in to keep players from entering the NBA too young
To young for what?

I mean, I know you have countless players who have come to the NBA straight out of high school and failed miserably, like LeBron, and Kobe, and Kevin Garnett, whereas college players like Michael Olowokandi and Anthony Bennett are immediate successes...I think I have that the right way around.

Whether it is good for the game or not is irrelevant, if they don't like it players can wait another year!
Stop whining about being mistreated, or we'll mistreat you more!

Players (like Simmons) use it to their advantage when necessary
What advantage did Simmons get out of it?

They have the option of getting a free education
They don't have the time to get an education, they're too busy with basketball.

The problem is an education is offered, but you don't even have to choose to continue on that pathway if you are good enough to go pro.

The problem is that millions of dollars in the NBA isn't enough?
No, neither of these things is the problem. The first is in fact the exact opposite of the problem: no education is offered for any meaningful definition of the word 'education'.

The problem may be that some people expect or are looking for utopia, however when they can't find it they want to point fingers at everything or anything they can to make their point.
So if things can't be perfect, we might as well leave them as bad as they are?

http://www.skepdic.com/nirvanafallacy.html

I love watching a good game of college bball, so I guess it works for me!
Of course it does. It works spectacularly well for fans, coaches, colleges, the NCAA, and pro sports leagues. As far as those groups are concerned it's a brilliant system.

It's only if you're an athlete that there's a problem.

Reply #583518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Double face-palm!!

Reply #583612 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Meh,
The whole American sporting system is a little weird.

There are something like 20~22 states that don't have a single major-league team in any sport (and that's states, not just major cities within states.)
In some there are lesser leagues, AA & AAA, etc, but in many places College sports and even High-School sports are huge. Imagine an entire town turning out for a Friday night High-School football game.

The reality is that most college programs are effectively professional. Look at what the education otherwise costs people, add in accommodation and other perks and see what some of the scholarships are really worth. Many college football programs are worth tens of millions a year in sponsorships, endowments, donations, etc.

How that system came into being, I have no idea. Why the powers that be continue to support the eccentricities of the system, well that's a complex issue. But it is what it is.

At the end of the day, to use a well-worn cliché, Simmons may be "the exception that proves the rule."
Had he been able to and had nominated straight out of high-school, people would have agreed. But what if a lesser player tried to follow suit, and ends up in the D-League.

Where do you draw the line?
If you say "ok" you only have to finish high-school, then you'll get kids like Simmons wanting to drop out early.
It's not ABOUT kids like Simmons. Even the minimum NBA salary is fantastic, so if a kid has the chance to drop out early and get picked late in the 1st round (or maybe even 2nd) they'll be pressured to take that option.

The reality is that for many kids, College is effectively a 2nd-tier "breeder" professional league. Even the crappiest degree is better than playing in the D-League or playing semi-pro.

I suspect one of the reasons for forcing kids into at least one year of college is the "bigger pond". The world is full of people who were big fish in the little pond of their high-school competition, and failed to make it at the next level.

Reply #583613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, where else could we have seen Ben play most weeks in a competition of an equally high standard and in front of US coaches and NBA scouts, not the NBL surely?

Reply #583629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL has an equally high standard to what exactly? The ABL?

Reply #583642 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I see no reason why Simmons couldn't be drafted 1st out of the NBL if he came here and dominated

Reply #583643 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Today settled it for me. Buddy Hield no. 1 for me.

He is the next D-Wade but with a jumper.

Reply #583738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:38 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754