Aussie
Years ago

New Zealand Breakers are for sale

Does anyone know the reason that the Blackwell's have decided to sell the club?

Topic #39181 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Reason? Probably any one of the many reasons why any other businessman sells out.

Wouldn't look too far into it as a sign of "trouble in paradise".

AFAIK, the Breakers never really ran it as a "money machine" and pumped a lot of the profits (if any) back into the club/community development (e.g. salaried full time community officers, construction of dedicated Atlas Place training venue, funding school/community programs, dedicated Young Breakers programmes, salaried marketing personnel etc)

The Blackwells had their supermarket endeavour to fund their living.

I think the sale arises because the owners probably feel their operation/ownership is at the end of its natural life cycle. i.e. as Vickerman said when he left as a coach. It's sensible rationale IMO.

Reply #583580 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's not good. In saying that, at least it has super strong foundations. Perhaps Wellington Saints owner might buy it?

Reply #583589 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Nah I think the only way Mills is involved is if its a Wellington team based and playing in Wellington. He's as passionate Wellingtonian as you'll see.

Just hope its not Purchased by some "hotshot" walking bank with experience and success with businesses of this kind. Owning and running an ANBL team i would argue is harder than doing the same with a Super Rugby team etc.

Reply #583592 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Should say 'without experience and success"

Reply #583593 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

maybe he'll move NZ to Wellington

Reply #583594 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Blackwells are looking for investors with specific expertise to buy a share of the club and help them grow the commercial side of things. They're rep said they could be interested in selling the entire club if the right offer came along, but it's not really a case of them looking to get out auickly. Article here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/78050685/breakers-owners-paul--liz-blackwell-say-its-time-to-bring-in-new-investors

Reply #583615 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

For starters, they are looking for investors, they are not looking to sell.

It could be that changing rules are a factor. If some of the speculated changes come to pass, they could be looking at a markedly increased salary bill.
They've also said that they're looking to add investors with "Commercial Nous." They have built an uber successful franchise, perhaps looking to maximise financial returns on that.

Reply #583619 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Good on them, they have done extremely well and when our biggest complaint about the Breakers is how awful North Shore Events Centre looks on tv... I think you're doing something amazing and I hope they get some financial help and can build the commercial side as they desire.

Does monies paid by Skytv in NZ go completely to the Breakers or are they distributed to the rest of the league evenly/unevenly?

Perhaps those buying into the Breakers can help get more money from Sky? They are so successful that they deserve a lot and they are entertaining too!

Reply #583649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gr8 to see the word Uber used. I would give them a dime right now to buy into a franchise that has just lost their head coach and CEO.
Strange that in all of the years of the Breakers they now want shares.

Reply #583687 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:40 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754