lauren jackson

Reply #583959 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Guessing ex-NBA and/or US college?

Reply #583961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the coach is from US and knows no one in Australian basketball how does he pick his team exspecially as there seems no one left out the old regime.

Hill and kazzu still contracted though.

Reply #583967 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

The front office would help him out with all he needs to know!

Reply #583970 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Seeing the name 'Gaze' thrown around a bit on Twitter...

Reply #583978 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze, Confirmed.

Reply #583983 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Confirmed where?

Reply #583984 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/sydney-kings-appoint-nbl-legend-andrew-gaze-as-new-head-coach/news-story/32b66a85bc985594d110dd8f2fa94242

Reply #583985 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Wow didnt see that one coming!

Reply #583986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox been wrong a lot times, will beleive it when I see it from the club

Reply #583989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are any Kings fans here pleased / excited at this news?
I ask because I wouldn't be if I supported the Kings. This screams of profile over substance to me.

Reply #584012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lots of money, and A Gaze as Head Coach and rumoured to be able to get Goulding as well.
Melb Tigers lost to Spectres tonite by 23. Just sayin."

Reply #584013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze will be interesting, not much coaching experience, i was expecting a more experienced coach

But getting a naturalised Kevin Lisch, is a HUGE signing

They can have Lisch, Khazzouh and round out the starting 5 with 3 imports, if they get the imports right they will be tough to beat.

Reply #584015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch is on serious money

Reply #584016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I imagine Lisch would be on some serious $$$ to lure him away from Bevo and the Hawks and to join a club with a rookie coach and new owners and not played many playoff games recently.

Reply #584017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bettng bris to be with AL ready for Boomers

Reply #584018 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Are any Kings fans here pleased / excited at this news?
I ask because I wouldn't be if I supported the Kings. This screams of profile over substance to me.

What I wanted out of the new Head Coach was an experienced coach that could attract quality players... We certainly got the latter, buuuuuuuuuuut... Is it bad to knock the best Aussie NBL player ever? I guess if we keep it to coaching experience, it DOES smack of profile/gimmick over experience and that's a huge risk...

The owners want to win, will they be patient with Gaze? He knows the game inside out, comes from amazing stock, I guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed...

Being able to build a really great team around him would be a great start to help him on his way...

Reply #584019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal knew the game inside and out as did Moose.
Cotter didn't?
Gaze has the profile and no serious coaching experience. JV Wrongagain recruited Gaze? Please tell me it isn't so.

Reply #584020 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

In first thought this was a bad April Fools joke but surely sports reporters couldn't be that stupid. Similarly, it couldn't be true becuase surely JvG and the new owners couldn't be that stupid.

Either way, there is a lot that stupid about this.

Reply #584024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney board
'We need a new coach'
'I remember watching Andrew gaze play'
'Let's get him then'

Reply #584026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like this a lot. Gaze is like old furniture at NBL games, he has definitely staye din the know and has definitely got the passion to want to win. Don't forget who his Dad is and what he has accomplished. Im sure he will be happy to give some knowledge to Andrew. The rookie coach thing isn't an issue in this case for me, that team is going to be stacked! Will be in the playoffs, and from a league point of view if they play a nice style, will be great for NBL and Aussie bball. I like it.

Reply #584029 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Just not sure if this is the right move at all for the Kings, another untried coach. Their roster should be stacked though and coaching the group will be about man management and getting them together to play hard. Does Gaze's perceived persona (NBL legend kind of goofy nice guy) smack of being the guy to do that? Time will tell

Reply #584031 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

An interesting appointment.
Has little experience as a coach but has this SEABL season to learn and as mentioned will dad be in the background helping out.
Wish him well but being a legend does not make you a good coach.
If they spend big on the team then he will just be the figure head and if they do well he gets the accolades,if they don't have a good season who knows.
Will also depend on who the Assistants are.

Reply #584032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smart players make coaches look good, if Lisch on board that's the start. Gaze will be a success, he'll get the the right people he needs to. He is certainly a draw card.. I think this will be excellent.

Reply #584034 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I love Andrew Gaze. I spent most of my youth watching him play to the point where it took my years to re teach myself how to do a layup using the backboard.

But, while the guy is a special talent, and has a truly amazing love for the game, I've never really seen much to suggest he's going to be a great head coach.

Those saying that his dad being a great coach proves something I think miss the point that they are two very different people. I don't even think he has the same characteristics that made his dad what he was as a coach.

Now, does he know a system? Sure. If they plan on running a lot of shuffle nobody will know more than him, but is that enough?

Reply #584035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I like this a lot. Gaze is like old furniture at NBL games, he has definitely staye din the know and has definitely got the passion to want to win."

LOL I have to respectfully disagree with you about him staying in the know when it comes to the NBL in recent years.
But good luck to him. It would obviously be a great story for basketball if he can succeed as a coach.
Good also to see the Kings splashing dome dollars around to hopefully build a respectable team.

Reply #584036 | Report this post

Team209  
Years ago

The assistant he hires will be important.

If he gets a Gordie McLeod as his right hand man that knows the league backwards and not a Copeland, that would give him a chance.

Melbourne Tigers are running the shuffle in the SEABL this season. The game has moved beyond that offense. A bunch of switches just shuts it down.

He is very positive with his players and its good to have him involved in the league.

Reply #584039 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Unless their 3 imports are guns they won't make the finals with Gaze.

Reply #584040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings announcement here.
http://www.sydneykings.com/uncategorised/sydney-kings-announce-andrew-gaze-as-new-head-coach/

Reply #584042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will work, odd selection, but they will make sure to protect their investments and even if Gaze has deficiencies the team will be deep. Another interesting season coming up. Also don't underestimate Gaze's goofy persona, as a player he was a very serious type, as a commentator, what is he meant to do, be grumpy and stone cold?

Reply #584046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 imports, one naturalised Aussie and an Australian in the starting 5. :(

Reply #584049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah, I told you he was offered the gig two weeks ago

Reply #584051 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I think that only the first $150K of Lisch's contract will need to be under the salary cap if he is a franchise player . Leaves a fair bit left over

Reply #584052 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

If it gets the greatest Australian basketball player, ever, out of that idiot AFL Fox show "Bounce",
I am all for it!!!

Reply #584056 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

My preference for a coach was always a guy with experience, but at the same time I couldn't name a single guy (current coaches aside) that I would be interested in except maybe Dean Vickerman.

Gaze is a legend and obviously knows a lot about the game, but as other have said in this thread, so does just about everyone involved in coaching at a high level. I see no reason why Gaze can't succeed, but we're really going to need an assistant who has the 'Xs and Os' down.

Reply #584063 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I echo Cram's sentiments. Watched literally hundreds of Gaze's games, absolute legend, but not so confident that a transition to head coaching right now is his thing. Just as Lindsay's approach was dated, I'm not confident that Andrew's playing experiences are diverse enough to adopt modern approaches quickly. It's just too soon.

Having said that, I see this as an experience for him to develop as a coach, and who knows, perhaps his coaching approach may bring out the best in a -- hopefully -- talented group. It is great to see a legend like Gaze back in action in the league.

Reply #584070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boy oh boy wowee! I'm pulsating with excitement!

Reply #584074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawading played the Tigers last night. The score sheet said Gaze Coached. McDonald didn't play and the Tigers lost 85 - 62.
Let's hope he has good Assistants. I hope JJ keeps his job.

Reply #584075 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

At least heel be used to losing given his SEABL team's performance.

Reply #584076 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Lindsay coached and played for a long time and is indeed a legend BUT his record was nothing to brag about until a certain A Gaze along with Bradke Copeland etc came into the line up.

They suited his offence to a "T" BUT again what other success did he have with different units.

Tigers were also no defensive juggernauts so to say that Andrew should be a successful coach based in Lindsay's record (even if all Lindsay's skills had rubbed off) has no real basis.

He may well have success but he has no more coaching credentials than any other ex NBL player at this stage.

Reply #584080 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Bradtke

Reply #584081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to say no to $1.3m even if you know you're a buffoon.

Reply #584094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh great, the Kings are going to spend their way into bankruptcy again :/
Do they not know any methods other than total suckiness or total excess?

Reply #584095 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's a bit soon to worry about that before we know who else the Kings plan on signing.

Right now it's:

Lisch - $$$$
Khazzouh - $$$
Hill - $

And nobody else.

Reply #584099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So when was the last time the Kings spent their way to bankruptcy? Refresh our memories please.

Reply #584101 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Well, fresh out of college with not that an impressive resume, it could have been:

Hill - 1/2$

You'd hope that Hill would be the 11th player if they're going to be a contender...

Link to the press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw-C5zGIf-Y&feature=youtu.be

Reply #584104 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hill's better than that.

Reply #584116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this hiring speak to the lack of depth in Australian coaching ranks? Also has a superstar player like gaze ever ended up being a top coach? In the NBA all the best coaches are guys who were role players or not players at all

Reply #584118 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gordie McLeod is one example of a very good player being a very good coach, Joey Wright another example, but from memory most successful NBL coaches have been fringe pros or career coaches.

Reply #584120 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Should be an interesting gamble, but I am happy it's not one of my teams rolling the dice!

From the one time I saw him coaching up close, Gaze is at least more aggressive as a coach than the ever-smiling, fence-sitter you see in commentary.

Reply #584123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I juat watched the Kings press conference announcing Andrew gaze as their new head coach and it was clear to me the decision by the kings to hire hims was base on two things.

1) His profile in the basketball community
2) His relationship with Jeff Van Groningen

Both of which will not even come close to bringing a championship to the Kings.

What astonished me was Gaze didn't show the passion I expected from someone I watched play tirelessly for 48 minutes in every game with the Tigers and when he wore the Boomers uniform.

So left me really wondering is this a move for andrew to
gain some temporary nbl coaching experience and hope in the process the Kings are some what successful with the end goal of going back to melbourne to rebirth the tigers in the nbl with him as head coach. Personally I would love to see that happen and i'm sure Lindsay and the Gaze family, along with the Tigers faithful fans who are suffering from watching Mel Utd would love it as well.

For the life of me i cant find one legitimate reason other than the 2 I mention, why andrew was picked over experienced NBA and NBL coaches who applied for the position and that are successful when andrew doesn't have 1 game of professional coaching experience.

Once again it creeps into the Kings way of thinking despite owners "Profile is better than Experience" and it has been a recipe for disaster when the previous owners tried it with Shane Heal!

Despite being the greatest ever australian basketball (IMO) i cant see andrew coaching the kings to a championship and here is why.

1) Too likeable by players which will be non threatening
and players will walk all over him.

2) Never played Defence and therefore don't appreciate
the importance of it.

3) Recruit players that are all about the money.

4) Would not stand up to the leaders on the team
demanding they lead by example.

5) Will be more concern about promoting/marketing the
players instead of winning games.

6) Will struggle to motivate Khazzouh to a leader and
dominate the nbl instead of playing soft lazy
basketball.
7) Wont gain the players respect as a coach only as a
mate.

8) Wont bring toughness the to the team to avoid the
Violent Crumble tag.

9) Will listen to his father instead of his assistant
coaches.

The Kings big announcement and big things are coming pitch via social media is great for hyping up andrew gaze appointment in sydney that also brings a expectation of winning games.

I have seen this script before in the previous 2 seasons and its ending with buttom of the ladder results.

'ALL HYPE NO SUBSTANCE"
as the new coach

Reply #584125 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They got Lisch, settle down, they'll be fine

Reply #584127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone tell me what has Gordie done in his coaching career that he gets so much praise?

He's been to 2 grand finals in his career, but everybody talks him up. i don't get it

Reply #584128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dean Vickerman & Lanard Copeland as assistant coaches.

"smfh"

Reply #584129 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

He's been to 2 grand finals in his career, but everybody talks him up. i don't get it

Part of the reason you already mentioned

Reply #584130 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I thought Gordie has been to three.

2 with West Sydney (2002 and 2004) and 1 with the Hawks (2010).

Gordie is a terrific coach and he has achieved great success with comparatively undermanned teams who probably haven't spent as much as others.

Coaching (particularly in the NBL) isn't always inherently about what you do. It's about what you do with what you've got. This is even more true in the NBL where some teams are going to be under-resourced vs. the likes of a Perth or NZ. Gordie has done amazing work with what he has had.

IMO, it's an absolute travesty he is an assistant coach in this league. What a joke.

Reply #584136 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Anonymous, I think your concerns are justified. I have those concerns also. Gaze knows a lot about the game, but I don't understand why they have jumped on an unproven coach. It all just feels a bit wrong to me. I can't wrap my head around Andrew Gaze as the Sydney Kings head coach. Time will tell whether this is a masterstroke or a laughing stock

Reply #584139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Kendall and BJ Carter should be the assistant coaches, both ex Kings played under Gordgian and do very well at there clubs.

Reply #584148 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I have no idea how Carter or Kendall are as coaches, but if the new ownership group have any clue at all they will hire at least one assistant with NBL coaching experience. Carter or Kendall is the type of selection the last ownership group would've made.

I thought Gaze's comments about using the Tigers in the SEABL as a bit of a 'development league' type of setup is interesting.

Reply #584153 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Agreed re Carter &/or Kendall.

The previous ownership group has Knight as an assistant & his track record in Waratah is as good or better.

Reply #584156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't think there be to many ex Nbl coaches out there that would want to work under a first time coach, gaze has to be the top man not get told what to do by the assistant.

Reply #584159 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Carter has been voted Coach Of the Year in the Waratah League for the past 2 seasons (his 1st 2 as coach) in the Waratah League and taken a Sutherland team with less than stellar talent (in comparison to other teams) to a Grand Final and semi final appearance in those seasons. He's an NBL coach in waiting if I've ever seen one. Perfect example of what someone was mentioning above about fringe/role players becoming successful coaches in the NBA. He obviously learnt a lot from his time with Gorj.

Kendall has had a bit more talent to work with but has also put some runs on the board in WABL and his Comets team won the comp last season. Also a future NBL coach in my opinion

Reply #584162 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Sorry....that should have read semi final & quarter final for Sutherland

Reply #584163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes duke fan I'm with you, both are very good with their teams, and Imo would work very well with gaze plus they both understand and live in Sydney.

Reply #584164 | Report this post

Jack Klompus  
Years ago

I am a huge fan of Gaze as a player and I really hope it works out. But this is an embarrassing decision by the new Kings ownership to hire a Head Coach who has very little coaching experience.

Lets look at the past 10 years of NBL Championship winning coaches and look at their backgrounds.

I am using this 10 year time period as this IMO is when modern professional basketball really started to come into play: Greater emphasis on Scouting, Greater detail required in Offensive philosophy (to counter the increase in scouting), Rise in use of Analytics (Shot Selection, Defensive tactics), Game Style more to PNRs (which is not really apart of the Shuffle offence), Importance of Player Development, Increased importance of Sports Science.

2016 & 2014 Gleeson (Perth). Career Coach, did an apprenticeship in the NBL for the Bullets and then in the American CBA. No high level playing experience

2015 Vickerman (Breakers). Fringe NBL player. Did a long apprenticeship in the NBL as an AC, but also Head Coach for many years in NZNBL

2011 - 2013 Lemanis. Fringe NBL player. Did a long apprenticeship in the NBL as an AC.

2010 Beverage. Career Coach at Junior Level. Did not have high level coaching experience first time around and got fired. Learn from his mistakes, went to a bigger club and was more successful. No high level playing experience

2009. Goorijan. Player in NBL. Prior to this championship, had over 20 years of experience coaching and would be considered a Career Coach - more than an ex-player turned coach.

2008. Westover. Former NBL player. Did a long apprenticeship as an AC int he NBL before taking over the Tigers as a Head Coach

2007 Wright. Former Nbl player. After finishing playing, did a coaching apprenticeship in the states - coaching High School, University and Minor Leagues

So exactly Zero coaches have stepped in, and been successful, as former players who have no coaching experience.

I also disagree with the assertion that "as long as they get good assistants around him, it will work" stuff. Would you be happy to ride in a caron the freeway if the driver didn't know how to drive but he brought his mates along to sit in the back seat and instruct him?

A big thing in coaching is having the players respect. No doubt, Gaze will get it straight away from his coaching career and his status in the game. But it will quickly erode if he isn't seen to be clear on his philosophy, be able to articulate it to the players (particularly in pressure situations), as well as, holding the players accountable to it.

Reply #584171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope he gets respect. If current players watched Mr Goofy on Fox Footy I doubt they will.

Reply #584172 | Report this post

What if  
Years ago

Dean Vickerman will be the assistant coach . Good choice .

Reply #584174 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Vickerman was probably my ideal pick at head coach, so I'm really happy about that. Maybe he prefers the assistant role to head coach?

Reply #584176 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Anon #584125 - I think you're assuming a lot about Gaze as a coach...

1) Too likeable by players which will be non threatening and players will walk all over him.
3) Recruit players that are all about the money.
4) Would not stand up to the leaders on the team demanding they lead by example.
5) Will be more concern about promoting/marketing the players instead of winning games.
7) Wont gain the players respect as a coach only as a mate.
9) Will listen to his father instead of his assistant coaches.

I'm going to group this under a "Says who?" I've seen a lot of stupid stuff on here previously, but stating this as a fact really takes the cake... Just because someone is a nice guy does NOT mean that they will get walked over... I think Kevin Lisch put it well in the press conference when he was talking about having Gaze as a coach and him coming in as the reigning MVP, in that he's got his name on the trophy, who better to learn from? I'm not saying that will make him an excellent or even passable coach, but show me the player that would not relish the opportunity to learn from someone who has done so much on NBL and international courts and I'll show you a player that doesn't deserve to be on the team... From what I've heard from someone who was behind his bench in his last SEABL game, I don't think Drewie will be shy in coming forward and demanding the best out of his players both on the court and off... That's probably a bit of a stretch for me to assume that, but at least that's based on something, not like the above nonsense...

As for being more concerned about promoting players instead of winning games, where the hell did you pull that out of?

2) Never played Defence and therefore don't appreciate the importance of it.
6) Will struggle to motivate Khazzouh to a leader and dominate the nbl instead of playing soft lazy basketball.
8) Wont bring toughness the to the team to avoid the Violent Crumble tag.

So a 33% strike rate in making a decent point is pretty bad, but these I agree with... Defensively, we've been worse than crap, I would have really preferred someone who had a defensive mindset to be really able to drive that into the team... Hopefully having Kev on board will help with that, he'll lead by example and hope that Gaze can go against his playing style and get the guys to play some D...

Pretty much every coach we've had has had trouble motivating Jules to be more aggressive... I really don't think that he's got that killer instinct in him, but signing an assistant that DID have that instinct and is Kings family AND has spent time with the Spurs organisation, could really help with that...

Reply #584177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookiee

I agree with anon #584125. You along with others haven't given a true reason why Gaze is right for the position.

Reply #584181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it very interesting that only 1 Kings player from last seasons team made a comment on social media about Gaze head coach announcement. Not even a congratulation Drewie!

Not a great endorsement from players who all know him.

Reply #584182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes its a scary thought A Gaze "coaching"
Everyone has bagged his commentaries of the NBL, surely that translates to no real understanding of the game as a coach? Legend player and I would be 100% certain he never listened to his farteer or anyone else. He oozes talent and clearly not athleticism or anything remotely connected with Dfence.
Heal is the perfect example of celebrity over coaching ability, However Heal still thinks he can coach.
So much excitement about new owners who have IMO chosen incorrectly I hope I am wrong.

Reply #584185 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I used to see Gaze coaching junior at practices on Sunday mornings. He was pretty much the opposite to his Dad's personality & his on-court demeanor... a real screamer. It'll be interesting to see how his style translates to coaching pros

Reply #584188 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

You along with others haven't given a true reason why Gaze is right for the position.

Because I don't think he IS the right person for the job and agree with those that have said here and elsewhere that there are more qualified people even locally (eg. Gordie) that have the runs on the boards as head coaches.

This is an experiment that I think it is not the time for and since Drewie has known JvG for so long, smacks of jobs for mates...

My point previously though, was just arguing with the anon that was all doom and gloom and just assuming the worst as fact, which I automatically disagree with on principle.

That being said, it is what it is, and I find it hard to bag out the greatest Aussie mens player our country has ever had, who I've enjoyed listening to in commentary and I'm actually more than a little curious to see if he can put his money where his mouth is... One of my big things was that Kings coaches in the past haven't been able to draw talent to the team and I think Gaze can at least do that... Having many options for the role could just have been all talk, maybe the role is still seen as a nutcase position and no highly qualified coach wanted to touch it?

So in that case who would be better? An outsider who has zero NBL coaching experience, has no knowledge of the league (which is all about the local marquee players now) and no real ability to draw top level Australian talent to the team? Something to ponder at least...

Reply #584189 | Report this post

Jack Klompus  
Years ago

Wookie,

"One of my big things was that Kings coaches in the past haven't been able to draw talent to the team and I think Gaze can at least do that"

Hiring Gaze to draw talent? Players are drawn to three things above all else - money, playing time and successful programs. All other things (lifestyle, city, who the coach is) are at the most a distant fourth.

Whether the coach is the greatest player of all time is not going to attract players. Lisch left Wollongong because the offer from Sydney was substantially bigger than what the Hawks can offer. (And for those saying Lisch came to Wollongong only of his relationship with Bevo - I can assure you that if the money wasn't in the "ball park", if he didn't think Bevo would play him, or he hadn't seen how Bevo can make a program successful, he wouldn't have signed).

Players wants to know: is this guy going to play me, and will he make our program successful.

I am sure many players would view this appointment with scepticism. Gaze has no "runs on the board" in coaching. He hasn't developed any players or won any championships as a coach.

I am sure players would really enjoy spending time with Gaze, picking his brain from time to time, even being mentored by him. But a Coach-Player relationship within a professional basketball team is totally different. Its every day, for 8 months: trainings, film sessions, individual sessions, games, travel etc.

You ask who is better? I can think of three names straight away that would have been better selections: Dean Vickerman, Gordie McLeod, Pero Cameron. They know the league, they have been successful coaches in the modern era of basketball, and have all been successful Head Coaches in the NBL or a very similar standard league. I can think of at least three others with Aus or NZ heritage who are coaching internationally that would also have been better, more experienced candidates.

I think JVG should have taken a little more time on this very important appointment.

Reply #584190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #584182

I'm a Kings fan and have long for my team to get back to it's glory days and was extremely excited to hear the Greatest Australian basketball player is now coaching the Kings.

But after watching social the media reaction to his appointment the last few days, I notice Andrew himself haven't shown his excitement of becoming the Kings head coach on his twitter. WTF!!

Reply #584193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't read too much into what is/isnt posted on twitter

Just because u dont post something on twitter doesn't mean u r not happy

I don't even have a twitter account, doesn't mean i don't love the nbl

Reply #584196 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Considering the entire team from last year are FAs outside of 2 players, I'm not too surprised we didn't see more twitter congrats. I imagine a lot of the Kings from last season expect they won't be returning.

Reply #584199 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I find it very interesting that only 1 Kings player from last seasons team made a comment on social media about Gaze head coach announcement. Not even a congratulation Drewie!

Not a great endorsement from players who all know him.

Aside from Lisch who was happy you do realise the Kings only have 2 players from last season under contract (Khazzouh & Hill)?

Reply #584203 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Jac Klompu:

I am sure many players would view this appointment with scepticism. Gaze has no "runs on the board" in coaching. He hasn't developed any players or won any championships as a coach.

But according to you that wouldn't matter if they got paid enough...

You ask who is better? I can think of three names straight away that would have been better selections: Dean Vickerman, Gordie McLeod, Pero Cameron.

Re-read what I said properly... I agreed Gordie would have been better, but you didn't understand who I was comparing him to... My point was that if these guys still turned the job down or weren't interested in the first place, which is highly possible... It's not like new owners automatically mean that it could not be a nutcase situation still...

Reply #584205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is the new Kings coach? F'IN LOL!!! New ownership group, same crappy coach hirings. Love it! Violet Crumbles 4ever. Remember kids - it's the way it shatters that matters!

Reply #584229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac

Andrew Gaze is highly respected in the Australian basketball community and to get only 2 congrats from KIngs players who I'm sure watched many Tigers games when he played is very telling of their thoughts on him becoming the Kings head coach. IMO

If I was Jeff Van Groningen I would be quietly worried this decision could fall flat on its ASS and the blame starts squarely at him!

BTW.. Has Andrew twitted anything about him getting the Kings head coaching position??

Reply #584287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are serously sayin that the 2 contratced payers waiched Gaze play? Retards everywhere

Reply #584288 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Lol... this modern generation, ey? If it didn't happen on the twitter or the instant gram, it didn't happen? Not everyone lives and breathes the twitterverse...

Reply #584290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie

Twitter is the modern way of promoting yourself or your business which Andrew has done on his twitter acct with SEN and his SEABL Mel Tigers but yet nothing on his appointment as the Kings coach.

It would be a great way to promote him and the Kings and generate excitement in Sydney.

Reply #584296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman and LC as Assistants.

Reply #584332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lol... this modern generation, ey? If it didn't happen on the twitter or the instant gram, it didn't happen? Not everyone lives and breathes the twitterverse..."

Exactly. and it is a myth social media improves business. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram is just time wasters wasting time.

Reply #584340 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I agree that it's a great tool and adds value to things, I'm just disagreeing that just because people aren't shouting it from the twitter rooftops that it's a negative thing and that JvG should be super concerned, which was what was suggested previously...

Reply #584390 | Report this post

Crazy Dazz  
Years ago

WTF?
So his first move as coach will be to advise them to "take a year off"?
Gaze is unquestionably the most respected PLAYER to ever come out of Australia.
Yet every time he opens his mouth, he sounds like a twit.
Is just going to be the "face" and "spiritual leader" whilst Vickerman does the heavy lifting?

Reply #584730 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dazz, not the first time a championship team has done that with its coaching lineup.

Reply #584740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom Garlepp re-signs.

Reply #584933 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:48 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754