Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers squad snubs

Does anyone else think Daniel Dillon and Ben Madgen were unlucky not to make the Boomers squad? Dillon is putting up great numbers in both the Polish league and Eurocup, which is of a decent standard. Madgen also appears to be doing very well in Belgium.

I understand these leagues aren't the absolute pinnacle of European basketball, but I would have thought their performances and European experience warranted at least consideration for the extended squad. First-choice guards would be guys like Mills, Dellavedova, Exum, Goulding and even Lisch, but surely they could compete with Martin, Gibson, Norton and Gliddon, who all made the squad.

Topic #39220 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I imagine Martin and Gibson would be ahead of them. And if they're overseas and not strong chances, Lemanis might have wanted to not waste their time.

Reply #584222 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I think you answered your own question with the list of guards invited already.

They were nowhere near as unlucky as Ogilvy, especially with Brandt included in the squad.

Reply #584224 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Dan Dillon is good, but Boomers? No way.

Mills, Delly, Newley, Ryan B (although more a SF), Exum, Goulding, Lisch, Madgen, Gliddon etc all in front of him. Not to mention Martin, Gibson etc.

How good is this? Aus aren't struggling for talent!

Reply #584225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogilvy as odd a no call as it goes.

Reply #584226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As Bogut finishes his international career, baynes will replace him as a starter. Ogilvy will be his backup no doubt.

Reply #584230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Ogilvy, numbnuts Lemanis wtf are you doing mate!

Reply #584232 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

From what I've read here and elsewhere, Lemanis isn't a fan of AJ. I do think he tends to vanish when matched against opponents his size or bigger, which is obviously going to be just about everyone when it gets to the international level, but it's still hard to justify him not even making the squad IMO after the year he had.

Reply #584250 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Just to be clear, Dan Dillon played in the FIBA Europe Cup this past season, not Eurocup. That is a league that is a step down (behind Euroleague and Eurocup), but the same competition as David Andersen. Although the French Pro A is stronger that the Polish Tauron League.

The Polish league is getting stronger. Cam Gliddon and Ater Majok are also both starring in the same league.

Reply #584252 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Belgium Scooore League is not as strong as the Polish league.

Ben Madgen is killing it though and putting up some impressive numbers.

With the quality of the players we already have in the squad, he would have been hard pressed to push someone else out at his position.

AJ Ogilvy was the unlucky one to miss the squad.

Reply #584253 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ben Madgen doesn't have the speed, athleticism, or anything that works at international level. He might be able to knock some open jump shots, but that is it.

We saw him get absolutely mauled against China when he played them. I would hate to see him against USA or any Euro team of any note.

Daniel Dillon was a role player in the NBL and I have no reason to believe he is much more than that now. He might be interesting to throw in the conversation when the FIBA games are played during the NBA season, as for some qualifiers, but not before then.

Reply #584276 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

A.J. is listed at 6'11" tall and has had a great NBL season. At times he may have been shut down by players his size playing very physically on him but overall he has great interior presence and can play at international level IMO.

Once these guys, with some athleticism, get to 6'10" and over there isn't much between them really. Their hops make a little difference and of course the way they play, their athletic ability, focus on boards and their shooting range all become key factors as to how they fit into a team.

For the Boomers, this time around at least, it appears Brandt is the fit, that takes nothing away from A.J. in my view, as he would perhaps be a good fit if the coaches had a slightly different line up to consider...

Reply #584305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Lemanis' decision to not send Ogilvy to camp isn't personal, then Im done. Im not saying he should be making the Boomers Rio team, but to not invite him wreaks of a grudge.

Reply #584315 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:33 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754