Isaac
Years ago

Petrie confirmed leaving Sixers

IT'S official. Versatile forward Anthony Petrie will not be adding to his 120 NBL games with the Adelaide 36ers, despite initial assurances he would exercise his 2015-16 option to stay.

Petrie, 33 and 203cm, averaged 9.9ppg, 6.3rpg and 1.6apg last season but became a fan favourite at Titanium Security Arena due to his four-year nightly commitment to success.

A late bloomer, his locker-room presence and leadership will be missed as much as his on-court efforts which have seen him log 262 NBL games at West Sydney Razorbacks, Wollongong Hawks and under current 36ers coach Joey Wright at Gold Coast Blaze.

One of the most reliable and loyal big men in the game, my information is the man known as "Peach" didn't inform the 36ers directly of his decision but the club received a message from his agent.
Full article

Too much money to refuse from Brisbane would be a fair guess. Count the digs at the nature of the departure:

- despite initial assurances
- loyal
- commitment
- shirked direct contact

I'd guess Joey is not too excited at this.

Topic #39225 | Report this topic

Max Power  
Years ago

Wish peach all the best, really appreciate all he did during his time in Adelaide. I hope we can sign someone to replace his defence, rebounding and leadership.

Reply #584363 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When the team was in its worst years, I wished we could get Gibson and Petrie, given that Martin and Vukona were out of the question. They helped improve the club on court and I'm always appreciative of in-demand players making the move to Adelaide. Gibson looked a bit over it by the end, but I think Petrie will be difficult to replace.

Reply #584365 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

AndTheFoul says that Brisbane is likely to be signing Gibson, Kickert, Petrie and Bairstow.
Pretty strong starting point, but that would suggest that Petrie would be coming off the bench. And it's 3 power forwards, which is an interesting move.

Reply #584368 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Nick Kay please...

Reply #584369 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Definitely some acid in that release. Peach has played his best ball in the past, but he single-handedly won the Sixers a couple of games this year with those freakish big nights he gets through hardwork around the hoop.

Reply #584370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ATF posts what's here. Nothing more.

Reply #584372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peach was probs smarter than Gibbo, and kept Joey on side until the season was done to tell him he was leaving hah Goodluck to a true warrior on the court. He wasnt always the cleanest but every team needs a Petrie. Tough loss as his skill set and mindset arent always the easiest things to replace...

Reply #584373 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Thought he would be man enough to at least front the team and tell them...bit of a cop out getting your agent to do it imo.

Wish him all the best though and wouldn't be too concerned as a 36er fan as at this point in time in his career he is replaceable.

I doubt Brisbane snag Bairstow...he'd have to be an idiot to give up his NBA contract and come back here to play!

Reply #584375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The positive is it could open up more $$$ for the import

Id be aiming to sign Ebekwe or someone similar and BJ Anthony to round out the front court

Ebekwe/Hodgson
Johnson/Anthony
Creek/Walker

is a nice front court imo, so not all doom and gloom

Wish Petrie all the best to finish his career

Reply #584377 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Pretty sure Bairstow's NBA contract ends in a couple weeks. He's played about 160 minutes total in 2 years at the Bulls, can't see him getting an extension.

Reply #584378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow also might be keen for some court time

He would be a huge get for the Bullets

A front court of

Bairstow
Kickert/Petrie

is well balanced and a great start

Add Gibson, 3 imports and thats looking like a strong first up line up in Brisbane

Reply #584379 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Bairstow hasn't really shown me much to get excited about when playing for Australia or the Bulls. His NBA pedigree is really about it. But hey, size is a premium.

Reply #584380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if knight leaves perth he would be a good replacement.

Reply #584381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Knight would be awesome!!

Brandt or Kay would also be good aussie options

Reply #584382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tornado, Peach is a mans man, on and off the court. He wouldve spoken to his team mates, as they were also very close actual mates off the court. Dont believe every word you read as gospel.

Reply #584386 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree AngusH.

I've never understood how some people think Bairstow should be ahead of Motum in the Boomers setup. Other than energy Bairstow's never really shown much with the Boomers (he wouldn't be in my Rio team) and I thought he was very fortunate to get drafted by an NBA team.

He's done well to last two whole years with the Bulls despite not getting on court and only putting up average numbers in the D-League (14p, 8r, 1a).

If Brisbane think they're going to go anywhere with a bigs combo of Bairstow, Kickert & Petrie good luck to them but I doubt Bairstow ends up being a superstar level talent in the NBL.

Reply #584388 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am confused by some of these comments about Bairstow. I see a guy that is big, plays hard, makes good inside and mid range shots, and is high energy. If you don't think he would be the best centre in the league I think you might have rocks in your head.

He is like AJ Ogilvy without the bitch factor.

Reply #584394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ibekwe and Anthony would be on my hit list too. Hustle, strength and attitude and ability to fire up alongside Creek and Walker would be a treat to see.

Reply #584396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with "ME". Some people seem to be judging Bairstow on his National and NBA performances and think that he wouldn't be dominant in the NBL.

Some of the best of the best in the NBL can't crack the international team and the NBA.

Reply #584398 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ATF posts what's here. Nothing more.
That's bullshit. He has his own sources and is often quiet about stuff he would've been told in secrecy.

Brisbane would be fine with Bairstow at centre and then a backup.

Reply #584400 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I can only judge Bairstow on what I've seen, 99% of which was with an Australia jersey on. His midrange jumper might be OK, but he looked real soft around the hoop and had very little upper-body strength. Maybe he's as good as AJ in the NBL, maybe he's not, but he's going to probably cost as much (if not more) than AJ to sign, which is a bit of a gamble IMO.

Reply #584402 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He hasn't stuck around the NBA for two seasons for being a weak little wimp with no game. If you watch his summerleague games you can see he can ball.

Reply #584403 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Again, I'm not saying Bairstow is terrible, just that I honestly don't know if he's not, either. He's stuck around because he signed a 2 year deal, and has seen an undrafted rookie overtake him in the rotation as far as those spot minutes at the end of the bench go.

Making an NBA roster doesn't necessarily equate to being an NBL performer.

Reply #584406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't seen heaps of bairstow, but remember seeing some boomers games, possibly a friendly, where he got some good court time and being impressed. My thinking was he was like a young matt knight.

He will be very solid in the nbl, would love him at the 36ers.

Reply #584415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow didn't ge the opportunity to play much with Boomers and the plays and combinations didnt' fit. Everyone seems to forget they did not perform as well as they should have and of course the dodgy non tanking that was tanking. Maybe Lemanis is not up to coaching at tho level against this competition. Different horses for different course and I don't hear of all the Boomers rushing to play under him at Brisbane. Just the has beens. Bairstow is just not flashy but very very effective and clever. he is a solid team player and very coachable from what I have read and again he is playing in a much tougher comp than those that are being rated on this site and young as well.

Reply #584421 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bairstow's game is very similar to Matt Knight, though probably not quite as rounded yet. He will be a very good big man in the NBL and many other comps around the world.

Reply #584423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Knight is coming to Adelaide 36ers for sure, as he wants out of Perth Wildcats. Joey Wright is after Jermaine Beal, after Adam Gibson has left the club. This would be two good signings.

Reply #584452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be super excited to get Matt Knight, the perfect running mate to DJ and a great replacement for Petrie

Beal would be a solid replacement for Gibson,

and we would still have a import spot to spare.

Reply #584453 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

The article Boti wrote has huge importance with the quotes from Joey. This kind of money being bandied around is silly. Some teams can afford it, but for the long term. It will break the smaller clubs and put a pinch on the bigger clubs. It has too.

What it really shows tho, is that the players who's salaries are now being shown to everyone is that these players were on this before...they haven't just decided to get a pay rise. They are on this already.

Reply #584471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO Petrie was under used by Joey and will be a big lost to the sixers.

Reply #584610 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What it really shows tho, is that the players who's salaries are now being shown to everyone is that these players were on this before...they haven't just decided to get a pay rise. They are on this already.
How could you possibly know that?

Reply #584627 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:40 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754