ME
Years ago

Shooters mentality gone wrong

After two great games, I had a stinker tonight.

I am not sure what caused it exactly. But I think family fights and a bit of anxiety got the best of me. My shot was off, and rather than pull it away, I felt the need to keep on shooting.

Needless to say, I now have 5 pretty angry team mates.

What are the best ways to pull yourself out of those bad slumps without shooting all the time? How can you change your mindset from that tunnel vision 'must try to score' one to one that benefits the team more? What are the best ways to focus before, and during a game that will ensure that my mind will be present? And most importantly, how can I regain the trust of my team after a terrible game like this?

Topic #39229 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are not alone and likely this is more than just about this game from your team mate. Every team has a prolific shooter that cuts other players out o f the game and gives them the impression they think they are better than the team and bigger than the team. While this is happening the rest of the team does not have the opportunity to work out their role and loose their game. So when a shooter has an off night and the starry eyed coach is still persisting and allowing you to keep on shooting because they have always just relied on you to win the game it is now in his or her court to sort it out. But no championship team ever wins with just one shooter. So go to the coach and let him know you think the plan has been wrong. It is time to work on the other players too and let him know the it needs to be about more than just you. Accept the other players have likely lost respect over a long period of time as you know what they like to play as well. Develop a pass first opportunity and strip it back to basics and develop with the team, not alongside them. Sorry to be harsh but it is how it is and what many complain about when the highest scorers,most favoured players are out of the locker room. Keep an eye on your spread of points and give up a few to a team mate. The best teams always have at least 3-5 players in the 10 pass points and alongside your points should be many assists and many rebounds. If they were collecting hustle stats then you would have posted some defensive stats too. You need to apologise to the players for not letting up and stop the shooting and admit it was time you passed it on to the rest of the team. If you are the highest shooter you never will know if anyone else has got it in them at game time either.

Reply #584463 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

What level are you playing at?

Unless its a pretty high level, its probably not as bad as you think.

Reply #584469 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@ME, maybe someone in the team needs to look at trying to implement a simple offence or offensive philosophy that allows you to be more of a team player...

Reply #584476 | Report this post

Miniconn  
Years ago

How does a shooter get out of a slump?

They shoot their way out.

Reply #584478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754