Anonymous
Years ago

Ankle Braces and High Top Sneakers

Just a question regarding Basketball Shoes and Ankle Braces. I've always used high tops sneakers to avoid ankle sprains. During practice I was wearing some low Kobe sneakers and rolled the foot and sprained my ankle. I bought some decent ankle braces which have been good and I haven’t had any issues. My Question is, does wearing ankle braces and high top sneakers add any extra support at all or should I just go the low top sneakers with the ankle braces? Will low tops with ankle braces give me the proper support? Wearing ankle braces with high tops makes them bulky but I want to protect my ankles as much as possible.
Thanks so much for your help.

Topic #39263 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask Steph Curry

Reply #584952 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

All the things you've mentioned will give some support. As to what's best....whatever feels comfortable for you. Over the years I've heard every theory from which tape/brace is best to the experts who'll passionately expound on their ideas that strengthening the ankle is the only way to go and are vehemently against taping
Bottom line is.....doesn't matter what you do if you get yourself in the wrong situation your ankle will be damaged. Seen plenty of occasions that professional tape jobs have just been snapped by a bad landing

Reply #584958 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^^ my advice is to make sure you do ankle strengthening and flexibility exercises on a regular basis, no matter what you do to make you feel safer on court by wearing protection, there is no substitute for prevention...

Reply #584960 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

In other words, I agree with Duke Fan... :)

Reply #584961 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Used to tweak my ankle a shitload in some high cuts, changed to low and somehow it stopped. It has a lot to do with how high off the ground your foot sits. Thick sole = bad times.

Reply #584965 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I've always had weak ankles. I picked up the Adizero Speedwraps a few years ago when I was in the States, and combined with high tops I haven't sprained my ankles even once since. They aren't bulky, but they are hard/impossible to find in Australia strangely - I usually chip in with others and make an Eastbay group purchase to help bring down the shipping costs.

Reply #585020 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:43 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754