DaHuzyBru
Years ago

Bullets to sign Torrey Craig

Per Greg Davis of The Courier-Mail, "Ex-Cairns import Torrey Craig is expected to link with the Bullets within the next week."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/twotime-nbl-championship-winner-tom-jervis-signs-threeyear-brisbane-bullets-deal/news-story/f197f96d3e382bb974e99d22378493a1

Topic #39279 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice pick up, underrated. Never really understood the idea or strategy behind him coming off the bench. No decent import would like that, yet he did it with class. Bullets get a good one.

Reply #585355 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Smart signing - Jervis and Craig balance Kickert's weaknesses.

Reply #585356 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

That's good looking balanced front court! Petrie, Kickert, Jervis, Young and now Craig! Plenty of grunt, scoring, rebounding and rim protection.

Reply #585382 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Jervis, Kickert and Craig make a very synergistic and powerful combination, hard to see a better one on paper.

Reply #585388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andre already building a very good team

Reply #585403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK alreay building another team.

Reply #585415 | Report this post

The Wombat  
Years ago

Boom Boom Boom, Boom go the Bullets

Reply #585421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With every signing the Brisbane team makes, my heart sinks as a 36er fan. Starting to run out of decent options to fill key spots. And I have zero confidence in Joey Wrights ability to pick new guys. Well done Andre, came in and has made an impact, its the offseason when the coaches can actually be most effective!

Reply #585423 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"No decent import would like that"

Lots of decent imports come off the bench around the world. It's not really whether you start but the minutes you play and the impact you have.

In the case of Craig, who was more likely to give the team some spark off the bench, Torrey or Weigh? And who would you prefer to have alongside Bruce to provide some punch?

Weigh was a good offset for the starters because he was happy to stand in the corner, Craig was more valuable off the bench. Of course Craig can start too, Fearne just thought the combos worked better that particular way.

Reply #585434 | Report this post

muckalukas  
Years ago

With Torrey Craig looking like signing with Brisbane , must be a slap in the face for Cairns, considering he told them he wasn't going to return to Cairns due to pursuing a contract in Europe , but then entertains contract talks with Brisbane , maybe he did'nt want to return to Cairns, were they that devvo to have lost him? or not really concerned?

Reply #585463 | Report this post

drake  
Years ago

It Happens people go back on their word. Cattalini Screwed Perth like that. Cj Bruton did the same ...

Reply #585464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A players verbal commitment these days is not to be trusted. Its the business and both parties play along if it suits them. As for the import off the bench thing, Paul ofcourse decent players come off the bench ala Jamal Crawford for the third straight season. But was just an observation that most of the decent imports you get in Aus don't usually do so, they prefer to start and usually teams open with their best 5. Not saying this is solely the reason Craig left Cairns, but if Brisbane offered him the starting gig its something...

Reply #585468 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Funnily enough, of the past 18 NBL grand final teams only six have had two imports starting, so amongst successful teams it's pretty common.

Reply #585475 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

He left Cairns because he was sick of being on the bench, GUARANTEED.

Reply #585494 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Well you'd be wrong Thunder Jam, it's all about the $$$$. and good on him, gotta make that cheddar while you can.

Reply #585497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It actually saddens me that you know that stat Paul. Your forgetting to add the imports coming off the bench for those teams were basically duds or low budget types. Craig is not one of them... anymore.

Reply #585506 | Report this post

The Wombat  
Years ago

So at this stage we're looking at something like:

Jervis/Petrie
Kickert/Young
Craig/ ??
?? / ??
Gibson/Bruce

Reply #585512 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Kingpodge - A big factor in Craig not returning was the coach. It may well be that the Taipans wouldn't have been able to retain him anyway, given the dollars on offer elsewhere, but Craig had made his mind up at the half way mark of the season. Even though Craig played exceptionally well when Fearne had to put him in the starting side from New Year onwards - due to Weigh being injured - Fearne still continued to take a hard nosed approach with him. Fearne did not use Craig well in the first half of the season - IMO - and he treats the players badly at times. I can understand Craig not wanting to return.

Reply #585515 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Twinkle that differs from the reality of the situation that I'm well aware of.

Craig came back for a 2nd season under Fearne, if there was an issue there he wouldn't have and his role was well defined in a unit that was mostly the same. That narrative just doesn't hold water.

Not sure if you have spoken to many players, or if you've making your judgement based on looking at the sidelines.

I'll say this, I'm not sure if I've ever 100% agreed with any coach i ever had... they always told me to stop shooting, I though i should keep doing it... more....

Reply #585520 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Twinkle 1 - Podge 0

Reply #585530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

End of the day boys Craig isnt going to say what the true reasons are. No matter how in the loop people feel they are, unless your blood he doesnt need to start killing his rep complaining. Just move on to the $$ and the big city.

Reply #585533 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Thunder Jam - Dunnigan will sign with Cairns, guaranteed!

Reply #585534 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Anon - excellent point.

Reply #585535 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

KingPodge, can you comment on this?: Torrey Craig came back to the Taipans with a treatable case of post-traumatic (NZ) MVP syndrome, contested the coaching objectives and his role in the line-up, and was generally miserable for much of the season.
The obverse was that Fearne whinged at him even more.

Reply #585544 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looks like he averaged 12 points coming off the bench , last season. While the starter averaged 8 points.

Reply #585545 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

greybuoy; nope. Great team guy, trained hard and worked with the coaching team. Never saw or heard any evidence to the contrary.

Will be great to see how the Brissy roster ends up and how all their pieces fit together.

Reply #585551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta be sorry for Cairns supporters, then.

Reply #585560 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

So was he really going to play in Europe and the Brisbane thing came out of the blue?

Reply #585561 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Your forgetting to add the imports coming off the bench for those teams were basically duds or low budget types."

Did you do much research into that comment? We're talking about guys like Dave Thomas, Dontaye Draper, Kevin Braswell, Charles Jackson and Donta Smith.

One who doesn't count, because he started in the GF, is Ekene Ibekwe, but he came off the bench initially and moved into the starting line-up when Pledger's foot injury went downhill. I don't think he was a dud or low budget type either.

Reply #585568 | Report this post

Asics Gel  
Years ago

Didn't CJ Bruton say he was going to Europe before winding up in Brisbane too?
Maybe he took CJ's advice and used the same move

Reply #585569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep CJ walked out on the Kings invoking his European option then turned around and signed with the Bullets. Out of curiosity who is the Bullets assistant coach?

I think Ebi Ere pulled something similar. Signed with the South Dragons invoked his NBA out clause to supposedly sign with Memphis but I think turned around and signed with the Tigers.

Reply #585573 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

Hakkim Warrick also came off the bench last season.

And he was not on 2 sausage rolls and a tin of coke per game...

Reply #585574 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He also should've been starting, especially once Majok fell off the Earth the 2nd half of the season.

Reply #585579 | Report this post

drake  
Years ago

Cj Bruton went back on his word with the Kings and the Wildcats. To be fair he had no legal obligation so he could what he thought what was the best possible destination for him and his family.

Reply #585585 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Jervis/Petrie
Kickert/Young
Craig/ ??
?? / ??
Gibson/Bruce"

The more I look at that team, the less scary it appears. Not as scary/talented as initially thought.

Craig is a stud.

But Jervis is stepping up to a starting position, Kickert has known defensive issues and Gibson is coming off a fairly average season.

Reply #585614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really like Jervis but not sure he will be a starter for them. I see him as a super high quality bench player but a below average starter in the NBL.

His game is suited to the bench role. High energy, defense and hustle. You won't exactly be throwing him the ball on the block and asking for a bucket.

Like I said, i love his game so I hope I am wrong

Reply #585637 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:47 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754