Anonymous
Years ago

Potential marquee Aussies to return

I understand the new salary cap rules were designed to attract marquee Australians to the league. We have seen the likes of cg43, kickert, jawai, lisch, Penney return last year.

Now we're hearing Andersen and motum could be back. Any others who would be likely targets? Wouldn't mind building up a list.

Newley perhaps? Ask the NBA guys I assume are happy.

Topic #39281 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Newley signed a 1 year deal so he's a FA after the season, wouldn't be shocked to see him return but might depend how much money an NBL team is willing to throw at him. I think he'd be a quality NBL guard, but not sure he'd be a $300K a year type of impact player.

Aleks Maric is a FA but I would think unlikely to come to the NBL. Broekhoff should be zero percent after the way he's been playing.

Reply #585354 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Dan Dillon and Ben Madgen may not be marquee players, but they have been very good in Poland and Belgium respectively.

Reply #585358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about JIngles coming back for birth of his children. Would he be a Sixer ?

Reply #585359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum to Perth

Reply #585362 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Any chance of Broekhoff coming back? Would love to see him play in australia

Reply #585364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broekhoff is more likely to be in the NBA than the NBL next season.If he has a good olympics a team will pick him up as a 3 and D player

Reply #585368 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree with Anon. Broekhoff's chances of cracking the NBA will soar even higher with a good showing in Rio, especially when playing alongside his team mates who are all current NBA players :)

Reply #585379 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Outside of the ones already returning I don't think there are any more?

Might have to shift focus to college graduates who have high end potential and wouldn't ordinarily come home to play?

Reply #585386 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

High-end college graduates include:

Anthony Drmic
Venky Jois
Majok Deng
Peter Hooley

Reply #585389 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I know Adelaide was looking at Peter Hooley but I don't know what came of that

Reply #585406 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

LC, what sort of $$$ would you think these guys will be looking for straight out of college?

Reply #585408 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Drmic has a dual passport so Europe is a realistic option for him.

I would have said $80k+ given they are rookies.

Reply #585418 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

LC...what can you expect out of Hooley, who does he remind you of?

Reply #585420 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I would say that Hooley is an Adam Gibson type player, although Hooley is a better scorer rather than a defender.

Reply #585424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see drmic being worth anything like $80g, his colledge form was not that good, DP at best.

Reply #585430 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Teams will probably have to pay well over the odds to get Drmic because he will get some good Euro offers. I doubt $80K would put you in the ballpark.

Re marquees coming back, I think this rule was put in place to keep key guys in the league and then lure back some NBA guys when they've finished in the show.

He's not marquee, but I wonder if we'll see Aleks Maric in Wollongong this season? He was apparently considering it last year.

Reply #585433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in terms of college returnees how about a guy like Mangok Mathiang who played Louisville an athletic shot blocker

Reply #585447 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Mathiang still got a year in college however may have 2 may injury redshirt this season

Reply #585451 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:25 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754