Anonymous
Years ago

Rumour :Anthony Bennett to the Kings

According to Boti there is some talk around about former number 1 draft pick Anthony Bennett joining the kings next season.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/bennett-crooning-with-in-tune-kings/

Topic #39286 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Great combination of size & strength, but low basketball IQ and shoots too many 3s for the clip he hit them at (at the NBA distance, anyhow).

Doubt this ends up being true, anyway.

Reply #585472 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would be interesting to see what level he would be at in the NBL, was solid in the Americas Championship for Canada, scored at a good clip and rebounded well.

A bit of a gamble though just because it's been a long time since he played consistently good basketball. Maybe he'll have a bee in his bonnet and rediscover his mojo.

Reply #585473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What mojo? He didn't have any to start with! Overweight, breathing difficulties, wreaks of a publicity stunt.

Reply #585474 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was a decent college player once upon a time.

Reply #585476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But remember according to this site the NBL is wayyyy better quality than college basketball lol

Reply #585480 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bennett was an amazing player at college. Struggled to show any kind of consistency as a professional player to date.

Reply #585481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think he was THAT good at college, every man and his dog was surprised he went number 1! Again this is a publicity stunt, cant seem to see it any other way. Bennett is awkwardly bad at Basketball. Massive risk for a team in a city looking for immediate impact.

Reply #585483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG has just left Oz to recruit, so one would expect a decent import or 3.
If that doesn't happen replace Hudson with JVG.

Reply #585484 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Publicity stunt or not, if we can give him back his love for basketball and he ends up returning to the NBA then that puts the NBL in a nice light...

Worst that could happen is Garlepp gets more minutes.

Reply #585488 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"But remember according to this site the NBL is wayyyy better quality than college basketball lol"

I am not sure why you are mocking with that statement. Most players in college will not go on to play the game professionally. Many college players come to the NBL and are eaten alive. As a standard, the NBL is better. However, there are those 1 in 100 kids who are good enough to play top-flight Europe or NBA. No, we do not have them. However, they are the exception and the reason they stand out so much on a college floor is because the standard once you get past the better teams best 5, is not all that high.

Bennett is a number one draft pick. He wasn't picked number one because he can't play. He obviously has some intangibles that don't come around everyday. I think you'd be mad not to sign him if you could afford him. He is still young. He still has time to improve. He still has time to work on the basketball IQ etc.

Reply #585489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was rated a lottery pick before the clueless Cavs made him number 1 overall. Then shows up out of shape. So definitely could play in college, ala Johnny Flynn but was neither a small or power forward and having the pressure of being number 1 overall screwed him up. Now the baggage that follows him will always bring up red flags in terms of mind set. Going to Minnesota was supposed to take pressure off as was going to Raptors. If he signs in nbl, good luck to him but press would be that it's where washed up unwanted nba players go to get a game. More risk than reward, if he has bad 1st couple of games then he'd be lucky to get a game with Eastern.
Worst number 1 pick of all time since injuries weren't a factor in his play.

Reply #585492 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

You could argue they were - asthma was apparently quite a big factor in his conditioning woes.

I'm a Cavs fan and well aware of how disappointing he was in the NBA, but being good in the NBA is not a measurement for how good a guy would be in the NBL. He's a nimble 6'9 with strength, and could be devastating in this league if he brings the right attitude.

Reply #585495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proud I dont care less about his love for the game. Worst case is that the Kings actually suck big time and no one goes to their games, because they are basically an import down. The worst case is the NBL fan base in Sydney lose their love for the game. This is a risky move, he had no right playing in the NBA, not because he was a bad guy or anything he just sucked at the game of Basketball.

Reply #585498 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Bennet wasn't that good at UNLV. He was picked up at number 1 due to potential and not output.

Reply #585504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AKA speaks the truth....

Reply #585505 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

For all his short comings in the NBA, pretty sure he would (well should) tear the NBL a new arsehole if he come down here.

Worst case it'll keep the US media spotlight on Australian hoops, as they love to see & report on this guy failing at any opportunity....

Reply #585510 | Report this post

Lights Out  
Years ago

@498

Worst case is that the Kings actually suck big time and no one goes to their games, because they are basically an import down.

Worst case, he rides the pine until replaced, Khazzouh, Lisch(hhnnngggnnn) and our other imports take us to the playoffs.

fan base in Sydney lose their love for the game

That's a bit dramatic.

Reply #585511 | Report this post

The Wombat  
Years ago

It's being reported by 'sources' on Real GM now

Reply #585514 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Has Rodney O been contacted for comment? And is Iverson still in the picture?

Reply #585521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The dramatic statement was in reply to some other numbnut claiming the Bennet could redisciver his love for the game in SYD. Was being sarcastic.

Reply #585532 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Throws down a powerful dunk!

Reply #585541 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

My point was I read either in the newspaper or on Boti that Bennett had lost his love for the game and was looking for a smaller market to perhaps refind his love for the game.

If he found that and brought fans in to watch him and then got some of his NBA mates down here then that would be better than having Childress bringing blokes in past their prime...

That's all I'm getting at, maybe having him and Childress and an import PG could be the way to go with this team

Reply #585554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would've thought spending $300k on Lisch meant the end of Childress?

Reply #585557 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

Childress saying he probably wouldn't be back last season was what meant the end of Childress

Reply #585562 | Report this post

Asics Gel  
Years ago

@proud, I think you may have got confused with my post in the Hawks Announcement thread that stated that Anthony Bennett was seen at Novotel Wollongong saying he was looking for a smaller market to regain his love for the game.

Reply #585563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here I was thinking Jawai would be the last fat useless player a team took a chance on

Reply #585571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Childress saying he probably wouldn't be back last season was what meant the end of Childress"

When did he say that? It was reported he had an option to come back and prior to the Gaze/Lisch signings that diehard Kings fan Wookiee was factoring him into next seasons plans.

Reply #585572 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think Childress saying he wouldn't be back was his gut feeling based on the team's results and his own injury issues.

Right now I doubt they could afford him anyway

Reply #585577 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Praise little baby Jesus, someone actually used the "ee" :)

Just some background to that "factoring in", it was always best case scenario... Limiting the marquee player rule to only local players would have helped put a nail into that coffin, although I had a little window after the new owners took over and said they'd be investing heavily into the team that I thought our chances improved, but even if he WAS keen, if he got through the D-league healthy, if he still was thinking about the NBA, he would have left his decision a lot later than what I think the team should have been comfortable with...

Reply #585582 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Boti now saying no Bennett in the NBL.

Reply #585586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^

Boti hasn't said anything. The news came from Olgun Uluc: https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/722719975300014080

Reply #585592 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Thanks asics, get mixed up with all the info you read online.

Reply #585596 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Too lazy to check, but pretty sure Boti put something on Twitter about it a day or two ago, too.

Reply #585602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm still waiting to hear some or any news from Gaze, JVG or the Kings on Childress resigning with the Kings. He would of been my 1st priority after Lisch.

Reply #585725 | Report this post

Jump  
Years ago

I was wondering about that too.
But I think what someone said about waiting to hear on NBA options probably meant they couldn't wait that long for him. I don't think anyone would have the leftover dosh for him to come back now anyway....

Reply #585773 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The default answer from JvG and Gaze I think was "we would love to have him back" but that he is also trying to get back into the NBA, so it all depends, if he actually DOES want to return, how realistic he is about his chances as to how long the Kings would have to wait, I guess...

Hopefully they're still actively pursuing him (if they can afford him) but still have a plan in place if he doesn't work out... If there's no chance of him coming back, I'd rather all parties just be upfront about it so all the fans can move on, as most didn't think he was a chance to come back last season, so there are those (me included) that have the unrealistic hopes that he could come back next season...

Reply #585777 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754