Tornado
Years ago

Thibs to Timberwolves

The Chicago Bulls loss is the Minnesota Timberwolves gain as they are set to hire Thibs as HC and President of Operations.

Topic #39291 | Report this topic

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Very, very good move by the TWolves. I liked Bill Simmons tweet:

"Minnesota better hire Thibs. How is this even an internal debate? He's a top-5 coach and they have the NBA's most talented young team."

Reply #585600 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Yep, a good move

Reply #585608 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I agree that he is a good coach, but he does have a tendency to grind his stars into the ground. Is anyone else worried he's gonna overwork those kids to the point of injury/exhaustion?

Reply #585609 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Have any of the Bulls been quoted about the whole 'grinding to the ground' thing that Thibs gets (and probably rightfully so) hammered on? I just wonder how much of it is him trusting his players when to make the call to come out, which in my experience is going to lead to a whole lot 'I'm fine, leave me in' moments.

Reply #585612 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As an aside, Scott Brooks is looking at Houston, Washington and LA.

If Brooks goes to Washington or LA, would that effectively rule out Durant going there (so many whispers and rumours of Durant going to one of those two places) or would it increase the chances of him landing there?

From my understanding Durant appreciated and liked Brooks. He did comment that he supported the team's decision to fire Brooks (from OKC) but that's not exactly translation for he didn't rate nor like Brooks. Was more a commitment to the franchise.

Reply #585613 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Valid point AngusH. Not sure if there have been any quotes from them, but Rose, Butler, Deng and Noah have had their fair share of injuries (major and minor) since the Thibs era. Wonder if their bodies are actually a bit older than what they should be? Deng sure moves a lot "older" than his 31 years should dictate.

I'm not critical of the appointment, I think the Wolves need a coach of Thibs' abilities, just hope they don't turn into Bulls 2.0 in terms of injury woes.

Reply #585615 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

You cant put player burn out just on Thibs.

Chicago obviously have a woeful conditioning staff looking at their track record.

Reply #585620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going to be interesting. Thibs is a coach that preaches defense 1st and likes to execute sets in the half court.

Players like Lavine, Rubio and Wiggins to name just a few on this T Wolves team have never played a lick of D in there lives.

They save all there energy for offense. That is the culture of the team.

Something is going to come to a head.

Reply #585622 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wiggins needs someone who will hold him accountable on the court, and I think Thibs is probably that guy. With his athleticism and ability there is no reason for him not to develop into one of the top 2-way players in the league. He's a low efficiency, one-dimensional player right now on offense, unremarkable on D, and doesn't pass or rebound nearly enough.

If he gets Wiggins/KAT (and probably LaVine) playing at the level they are capable of, this could be a scary team in the West in a season or two.

Reply #585627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulls had a lot of injuries this year so maybe it's not thibs related

Reply #585640 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Shabazz is an under-rated player on that team too.

Reckon Thibs is the man to take this program to the next level, provided the young talent hangs around.

Reply #585641 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:37 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754