Social at Golden Grove Rec Centre

So I was playing social ball Tuesday night at GG rec centre. I have only just started playing there and was penalized and told I had to sit the first 5 minutes of the game for bouncing the ball while waiting for my game. The run off is about 3 metres from the baseline to wall and I was up against the wall meaning I was nowhere near the play. There is also no signage saying not to bounce the ball.

I actually find it pretty funny, but its obviously extremely petty. I just wanted to warm up and practice a bit of ball handling as that blue surface takes some getting used to.

Is this ridiculous or is this common practice at other stadiums? Just wanting to know if I'm dealing with someone on a power trip or is the reality of social basketball, where you can not dribble a ball in a basketball stadium.

Topic #39313 | Report this topic

Tom  
Years ago

I play there on a Thursday and I've never been told to stop dribbling before a game. Most likely a ref on a power trip

Reply #586038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In that particular centre, there have been previous incidents where people on the ends of the courts messing with balls have lost control of their ball and it has put players and officials on the courts at risk of injury by rolling across the court whilst play is in progress (not sure if true, but i even think there was a serious injury from an incident as such... normally when a centre makes a rule to manage risk it is generally because an action has caused a serious incident to occur previously).

However, centre management created a rule that people can't mess around with balls around the surrounds of the court whilst games are in progress such that it limits the potential for balls to run out on court and cause harm to the participants. I don't know if other recreation centres do this also, but if they have had a string of incidents where that situation has caused injury to particpants then I can understand why managing that risk is important.

There would probably be some court supervisors that would manage the implementation of such a stadium rule a little better than others and some would be strict with it and others not so strict (maybe offering a warning and being more communicative about it... especially if there are no signs in place). Which, of course if they are implementing such a rule to manage a risk, then they should have signs up either end of the courts stating what the stadium rule is, why it exists and the fact that penalties apply (pretty simple to do... and an effective way of detering people from doing it... but who reads signs in this day an age??? unless of course it is a meme on Facebook!!!)

Reply #586039 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754