mystro
Years ago

Mitchell & Ness NBL Apparel Supplier

It has just been announced that American vintage sports apparel supplier Mitchell & Ness will supply next seasons on Court and off Court apparel to the NBL.

Great news for NBL fans wanting quality merchandise to support their favorite teams.

Topic #39317 | Report this topic

DJ Rod  
Years ago

still deciding who my team is now...

Reply #586078 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Very interesting. It's a positive for the league from a credibility stand point amongst casual and hardcore fans.

I'm not aware of what performance gear (if any) Mitchell and Ness produce, so it's interesting they'll be responsible for the on-court apparell.

They are also a "trendy" casual clothing brand, so it will be also interesting to see what the jersey designs look like and how/if bumper sticker style sponsor logos will be used this season.

It sounds like clubs (like the Wildcats) will still be able to produce their own T-shirts through their own supplies.

I also think "cheaper" jerseys aka replicas, will be produced and sold around the current $60-$90 mark.

I'll happily pay for a Mitchell and Ness "premium" style jersey with higher quality - similar to what they offer with NBA products.

I also wonder what this means for heritage round throwbacks and distribution.

Reply #586096 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/mitchell-ness-bring-nbl-jersey-game-back-glory-days/

Here's a fun little piece on it

Reply #586097 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Awesome love it!

Reply #586102 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Having dealt with M&N and the Team involved with bringing them to Australia for 4 years I am very pleased they are on-board. I've seen a preview of the Range and there are some very cool ideas.

I would say that expectations should be tempered as this is Year 1 of them doing this type of deal, the offerings will improve.

I was told this deal should be all-encompassing so it should curtail Clubs going rogue and doing their own gear, which is usually a lower quality item.

Reply #586109 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Interesting. The wildcats love getting their own cheap shirts made. There's a new shirt at what seems like every home game. They are poorly designed and very c heap quality - but appeal to their demographic.

I really wonder how they will feel about this new Mitchell and Ness deal.

I'm looking forward to the range!

Reply #586113 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Stuff the Wildcats, for the first time in a few seasons they didn't give us a free shirt albeit they all came in XL and we're all awful but a free shirt is still pretty cool.

I'd happily welcome a new brand with new ideas and if we can get 8 vastly different jerseys then I'm all for it!

I hope the heritage jersey can be still implemented as that is always fun.

Reply #586114 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Roy Hobbs thats good to hear. I wasn't happy with the quality of MU items last season. Good quality from a respected brand is great for the NBL.

Reply #586117 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

I'm hoping to see samples and get more of an idea next week. I'll share whatever I'm allowed to, these things are kept fairly hush hush at times.

Reply #586120 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I understand, appreciate any insight Roy!

Reply #586122 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Roy Hobbs. Any details you can give on the on-court playing material will be great.

Wonder if they'll use the adidas materials. Or go old school with air flow.

Reply #586128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just when you thought the Wildcats merch was way overpriced along comes a reason for them to crank up the prices even higher!
Seriously though this is exciting news. I look forward to seeing what is on offer. The Cats jerseys last season were utter garbage in design and quality so the only way is up.

Reply #586133 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

The quality of last year's jerseys were the same quality as the previous two years.

If I had to pick the James Ennis era designs were the nicest in recent memory.

Fingers crossed the Wildcats can't embargo other retailers selling their jerseys.

Mitchell and Ness have distribution at big chain stores as well as your boutique outlets. it will all depend on the quality of designs. Wouldn't be surprised if "premium" NBL jerseys rrp is 150 to 200.

Reply #586139 | Report this post

Asics Gel  
Years ago

Hawks jerseys last season were the best if seen in a while.
Really hated Wildcats Jersey last season. That supre style running writing was pathetic.

Looking forward to seeing this Mitchell & Ness great though

Reply #586140 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I used to love the singlet style as opposed to these days with basically the same dimensions as an AFL jersey... I think they increased the width over the shoulders due to safety reasons (getting fingers caught in the top.... But is there any chance at all that we can get that style again with this new supplier.

Worst thing about the Wildcats jersey is that it will forever be seen due to being a championship winner.

Reply #586143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news NBL is so professional now but the jerseys were still horrific last season. I'm not surprised LK got it done yet again.

And yeah the current wider at the shoulders jerseys are lame, that isn't basketball sorry.

Reply #586313 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I have been informed that Mitchell & Ness merely make the jerseys. They are not involved in the designing.

So, you could have a world class apparel supplier making some ugly ass jerseys if the designers are the same. The material might be better, and that might be all there is to it.

Reply #586337 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

That actually sucks, and I question the rational behind M&N agreeing to that.

As a fashion brand, they will be putting their name on a bunch of poorly designed jerseys that are nothing like the apparel they put out.

Not sure how that is going to work, but I'm sure someone at M&N has accounted for this.

Reply #586358 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Pretty sure clubs design their own NBA gear.

When And1 had the jersey contract and got to design them, everyone complained about them all looking the same.

Reply #586362 | Report this post

Asics Gel  
Years ago

@RMQ, do you really think that ISC had full design control over the jerseys in previous years and clubs just rolled with what they decided?

Im pretty sure it would have been a collaboration between club and company, I'm sure this would continue with the new apparel supplier

Reply #586367 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

ISC didn't have full jersey design control. Pretty sure they had none.

NBA clubs are in a different league.

NBL clubs designs are so hit and miss. And unfortunately most are misses.

Reply #586380 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not sure what all the hype is about?
Quality comes down to whatever factory in China you choose. If M&N aren't even designing, then this is basically a sponsorship deal to get their name on the gear.

And I getting sick of hearing the same bitch about the Wildcats not letting others profit from their brand.
Every buck they make from selling overpriced crap is a buck they don't have to slug us for seats. Why should they give that money away?

The AFL is a MUCH bigger market, but even they protect their core gear. You can buy random stuff cheap at K-Mart, but if you want a replica jumper then its expensive wherever you buy it.

Reply #586382 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:20 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754