koberulz
Years ago

Hawks Sign Rotnei Clarke

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3887489/rotnei-returns-to-hawks-nest/?cs=302

Topic #39338 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Hard to do much better as far as replacing Lisch goes.

Reply #586420 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wollongong, where MVP guards live.

Reply #586421 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Good pickup, great to see him back in the league

Reply #586422 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Must have agreed to take less than what his management was asking for. Great to have him back.

Reply #586423 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Hasn't there been a "wait a minute, it's not official yet"? Just advanced talks? Can't argue with that replacement though... Wollongong must have found some more cash behind the couch cushions?

Reply #586425 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, word is it's not official at this stage.

Hope it pans out, he was one of my favourite players to watch when he was in the league.

Reply #586426 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Pretty small back court if true....great player though!

Reply #586429 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No smaller than three years ago.

Reply #586431 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Dude shot 50% in Euro Cup this season.. Nice

Reply #586432 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

from 3

Reply #586433 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The guy is unbelievable at the offensive end. If he were playing in a big market last time here (or even all games televised) he would have been giving a lot more props.

Reply #586439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not official and the local paper is announcing it as so?

Not good. Must be trying to strong arm him into an agreement.

Reply #586440 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

^The Mercury never states it's official, they are just reporting that it is in the works. They state he has "agreed in principle", and that the club is "set to confirm the deal in the coming days"

Reply #586442 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

To me this is a massive signing and I think Illawarra can almost afford to risk a dud SF import as they still have serious talent, adding Norton and Kay of whom will only get better with AJ, Rhys and hopefully an improving Cody + they seem to be a happy environment so they are going to be mighty difficult...

By dud SF, was thinking more along the lines of solid rebounder/defer but struggles at offensive end and earns criticism early in season.

I'd love them to get a stud SF but can they really afford it?

Reply #586444 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I know he gets mentioned every year, but Akeem Wright would be a good fit for that group IMO as a cheap import SF.

Reply #586445 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You'd take Lisch first if you could, but Rotnei is a great alternative, proven in the league. Return of the teammates-scaring-Rotnei videos!

Reply #586446 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

This should be a very exciting season.

Reply #586453 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Hold onto that excitement mystro, there's 5 months to go before we tip off! It could get even more exciting!

Reply #586457 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

I'm excited !!

Reply #586475 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Really looking forward to Rotnei Clarke v Jerome Randle, and Clarke v Lisch, and so many great scoring guards matching up on each other. It will get personal!

Reply #586484 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

What skull said...

Reply #586520 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Hawks are sneakily compiling a very good roster, and you'd think they'd be one of the big losers in the off season arms race. Great work getting Clarke back. Now if only Perth can get Ennis and we can have a bit of a retrial for the MVP award.

Reply #586547 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If locked in, would bring the Hawks to:

Martin/Norton
Clarke/White
?/?
Ellis/Forman
Ogilvy/Kay

Two import spots to use. Coenraad unsigned

Reply #586557 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You'd imagine if Coenraad signs they'll only have one import. If not, and they don't get a similar level replacement, they might go three Americans.

A starting five of Ogilvy, Kay, Import SF, Clarke and Martin will be scary if they get the import right. He needs to be able to shoot.

Reply #586567 | Report this post

Fstos  
Years ago

Will be scary at one end.

Reply #586585 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You'd imagine if Coenraad signs they'll only have one import.
You mean only two imports? The starting three is likely to be an import.

Not sure you'd have a state-league import there, though.

Reply #586594 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes sorry, two imports. I'd also expect the starting SF to be pretty handy.

Reply #586600 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Lose Kevin Lische and the outside shooting of Kirk Penney ...Rotnei helps a lot.

Reply #586615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pencil in 40pts for Rotnei against the Kings. I can't see Gaze or Vickerman coming up with a defensive plan to stop him.

The Wollongong fans should be over the moon to have him suiting up again. Expect capacity crowds to see him bomb away from the 3pt line.

Reply #586707 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

"Pencil in 40pts for Rotnei against the Kings. I can't see Gaze or Vickerman coming up with a defensive plan to stop him."

Kings have 3 imports to come.

Clarke struggled against the defence in the finals, when it really mattered.

Reply #586932 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

How did the Hawkes get Clarke, after losing Lishe, when the Kings struggled to get a legit PG for 4 seasons?

Reply #586934 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:27 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754