Very Old
Years ago

Anthony Drmic signs with Adelaide 36ers

just out of Boise State - good signing or no big deal ?

Topic #39339 | Report this topic

Very Old  
Years ago

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Anthony-Drmic-41087/

Reply #586459 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I dare say this is a very good signing. He can score big when he wants to. I think he even had some NBA talk for a while there.

Reply #586460 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

A very good result. I'm pleased with this announcement.

Reply #586461 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Wow... very impressive...

Reply #586462 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

This is a huge announcement!

Not even just a good signing. It's an excellent signing.

He will be a force in the league.

He could be like a Goulding in the league, but 10 times better. He is a lights out shooter, fantastic size at 6"6, always plays under control and without erratic play and can score in any fashion.

Reply #586463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 times better, haha ok ok lets relax a tad and give give him a chance. This appears to be a very nice signing, the kid will be great most probably, immediately, thats the real question. The 36ers really need to get a move on, as far as stud star impact signings go. Surround this piece with some star power and let him flourish.

Reply #586464 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I dare say he won't flop as much as Goulding or molest the refs so yes, 10x better already without taking a shot.

Reply #586465 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Does anyone know why his PPG has dropped off since his sophomore season?

Reply #586468 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

His shot did not drop with the same consistency this past NCAA season.

That said, a very solid signing with plenty of upside and hopefully a longish contract to lock up his potential for a while to come.

Reply #586470 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Maybe the best Aussie out-of-college rookie prospect to hit the NBL since Anatoly Bose? Am I forgetting anyone?

Reply #586471 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

It's officially been announced on 36ers website & he has signed for 2 years

http://www.adelaide36ers.com/adelaide-36ers/anthony-drmic-signs-2-year-contract/

Welcome aboard Anthony!

Reply #586472 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Very nice signing, hopefully he will create a nice core of young Aussie players with Creek, Hodgson and Sobey.

He was injured during his 4th NCAA season and was allowed to play a 5th season, don't know if that impacted his production this season.

Reply #586473 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Great news, he should fit in well playing in the NBL. Yes, injured and played with an injury for a long time also, probably should have taken more time out but a tough kid and someone I look forward to seeing play next season.

Reply #586474 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Will they still be interested in getting Hooley or Steindl now they have Drimic, Creek, Sobey and Teys?

Reply #586478 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I wondered about Steindl now too?

For those in the know...who is better, Drmic or Steindl?

Reply #586481 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hard to compare a pro and a college grad... Steindl is almost certainly better player right now, but Drmic might have the higher ceiling.

Drmic was maybe cheaper than Steindl's asking price, I'd think.

Reply #586486 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

Very good 3 point shooter, thats all i know

Reply #586493 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Looks like we're looking at a more long term outlook, with our current signings.
DJ, Creek, Sobey, Hodgson, Drmic.
Probably not the worst idea, given some of the names flying around with other clubs at the moment.

Reply #586494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle and Teys are under contract too.

Reply #586495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so he is not good enough for the NBA then.
Btw, is he related to Frank Drmic ?

Reply #586496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is Franks brother

Very highly touted

I predict he takes the minutes/role Ebi Ere filled and will do it better,

Not be a MVP, but should be able to put up a solid 8-10 points at a good shooting clip

He is the exact age as Mitch Creek, played U19 worlds wiht him and put up similar stats, so would predict him to be of a similar level

Reply #586497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was injured and out for something like he first 17 games of the season hence his slip in numbers...

Reply #586501 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

He will be a higher level than Creek. You're talking about a guy who was literally one of the best scorers in D1 NCAA a few years ago

I also can't imagine he was cheap. Maybe not huge dollars..but he would have had solid offers in Europe (especially considering he would have/be able to get a Euro passport)

Reply #586503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was injured and red shirt in the 2014/15 season not 2015/16. Good player but will take time to settle in Nbl.

Reply #586504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic will play one season for 36ers and when they work out his bad attitude and selfish habits he will end up at united in 2018.

He's a great talent but his training and preparation is all about himself. Game days he's fine plays hard and can shoot it, but training and off the floor work.....wont last a season at 36ers.

Reply #586505 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I described him earlier as being similar to Ben Madgen but a few inches taller and a little more athletic. Fair call?

Reply #586506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#5986505 WOW!

Strong opinion. I wonder how many times have you seen him train in the last 5 years?

I don't think Boise would've let him red shirt his senior year (4th year) after about 5 or 6 games if they didn't want him for the next year. You don't do that for a bad egg.

Just my thoughts.

Didn't he leave Boise as the all time leading scorer for Boise.

Reply #586510 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Call me crazy, but I don't place a lot of stock in the rumblings of anonymous posters...

Reply #586525 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

He left as second on Boise State's all-time scorers' list. He was 2 points behind the all-time leader. So he's definitely no slouch as a scorer.

http://www.broncosports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/anthony_drmic_843521.html

Reply #586526 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"He will be a higher level than Creek. You're talking about a guy who was literally one of the best scorers in D1 NCAA a few years ago."

He's a better scorer than Creek, but I don't know whether he's a better player (I think they'll both be guns in time). These two came through the same age group and were always at a similar level.

Reply #586531 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Hard to fathom Creek would only just be coming out of College about this time himself...I think people forget how young he still is as he has been around for a while now.

Reply #586534 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's a good signing no matter how you cut it. It is better than I was expecting, considering that the 36ers are apparently low on cash.

Reply #586546 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Johnson/Hodgson
Import/Walker?
Creek/Import
Drmic/Teys
Randle/Sobey/???

Nail that PF import spot with a stud and get a contributor as a third import and that's a pretty decent team.

Reply #586548 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Paul, that line up looks similar to what I'm hoping for. Could also slide DJ to the 4 and go with an import at the 5. DJ is a centre in height only, IMO.

Reply #586549 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree, but I think he's worked best alongside a tough PF like Petrie who could guard the best frontcourt opponent than alongside a geniune C (ala Schenscher) where neither could guard the PF!

Reply #586551 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Still not a lot of rebounding or inside defensive presence in that team, so another good big is a must!

I don't know a lot about Drmic, but I'm assuming he's starter calibre right now?

Reply #586553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are drmic and randle going to get enough ball, they both take lots of shots, be interesting to see how it all meshes together.

Reply #586558 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Top tier talent. Averaged 17.7ppg as a sophomore before injury set him back.

I interviewed him on his signing with him here: http://pickandroll.com.au/anthony-drmic-adelaide-36ers/

Played in same team as Hugh Greenwood and Mitch Creek that won 2010 Albert Schweitzer Tournament.

Reply #586560 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anyone who's in the rotation is starting calibre, it all comes down to who you put around them. Teys was a great fit as a starter in the 2014 GF team because he just filled a role around the stars.

Reply #586565 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Quite often rookies wouldn't be considered starting calibre players, although by the sounds of it Drmic will be.

Reply #586573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like Gladness as the import big, him or Ibekwe would be perfect

If we dont have much $$$ left i wouldnt be upset giving the 3rd import spot to DQ, he did ok when he was here, and we wont be asking him to be a stud, but ideally id go for a guy of the Torrey Craig mould, a NZNBL option could be Ray Cowels,

Johnson/Hodgson
Gladness/Walker
Creek/Montreal or Cowels
Drmic/Teys
Randle/Sobey/Hooley

Looks pretty good to me

Reply #586595 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I think it will be interesting to see the difference between a guy that went NBL route and a guy that went NCAA route. Same age as Creek, as stated went to 2010 Albert Schweitzer Tournament together where If I remember correctly Creek won MVP of the tourney.

Wonder who starts / if they both start / neither start??

PG - Randle/Teys
SG - Drimic/Sobey
SF - Creek/Import
PF - Import/Walker
C - Johnson/Hodgson

Reply #586613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic isn't starting quality just yet. He will be in a year or two but we need an import to be a secondary ball handler and play point when Randle is off. Raymond Cowells III out of the NZBL would be a good option and a shot blocking centre like Mickell Gladness is a recipe for a contender.

Reply #586761 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754