Anonymous
Years ago

Some U10 parents have lost the plot

One club in the U10 competition has had parents ejected from the arena in the past 2 rounds.

The team ended up walking off the court and forfeiting the match with a quarter to go.

How should Basketball SA deal with this or have they already dealt with it. They should be coming down hard to send a clear message.

The abuse the green top referees are getting is terrible.

This is an absolute disgrace and sends a terrible message to the young kids. Pull your heads in and let the kids enjoy the game.

Topic #39340 | Report this topic

Paul  
Years ago

The association should step in and read the riot act the the parents involved. At U10s level it's all about learning. Green shirt referees are a no go zone as far as I'm concerned. At my local association we step in immediately and make it very clear that any harassment to referees and negative behavior will land them a letter stating that we will be ejected and possibly suspended. This I know is standard at a fair few association in WA.

Reply #586509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't condone the abuse, but one of the issues is that the adults who should be supporting the green shirts are often not present to support amd educate them. That is the grey shirt and court supervisors are letting the green shirts be put in a situation where running the game is well beyond their ability. There are too many green shirts left to their own devices. So parralel to the abise there is also neglect which adds to the situation. The suoervisots have a dutu of care to the young refs and players to make themselves involved and participating in supporting both parties.

Reply #586511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Report the parents, suspend them from the games, if a team walks off investigate the circumstances, if necessary fine the club and get rid of the team if guilty. Pathetic parents act that way, no wonder kids get bad attitudes these days.

Reply #586515 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

If green shirts can't take people 20-30 years older than them screaming abuse ....perhaps they should quit harbouring dreams of NBL & just stick to kids basketball.

Reply #586516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ban em. Not needed. No need for kids to be bullied and abused. Maxypoop should take up reffing for a while and see how long she lasts.

Reply #586517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maxypoop you sound like part of the problem. This is a green shirt refereeing an Under 10's game at 8am on a Saturday morning! I doubt they are thinking about anything other than some pocket money least of all an NBL career.

Abuse should not be a part of any workplace least of all a green shirts under 10 reffing gig. Grow up

Reply #586524 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely having full supervision/support of learner refs would further increase participation costs?

Why not just crack down on the parents and remind everyone that this is very much junior sport. The kids and the refs alike will make mistakes.

Reply #586527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maxymoo, you're an idiot or just trolling for the hell of it. If you're a parent I bet you wouldn't want adults yelling at your kid. I wonder how many good referees we've lost because kids have thought screw that for a couple of dollars, I'll work at McDonald's instead.
Totally ban every parent for a few games, like they've done I'm Europe with bad spectator behavior. Sure it punishes some of the parents that are good but maybe peer pressure will make the parents from hell wake up. If it keeps up then the club should step in and get rid of them, feel sorry for the kids but better to get rid of bad apples.

Reply #586533 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Please re-ead my post with a more sarcastic inner voice.

Reply #586612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I did and you are still an idiot.

Reply #586617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly I believe that Green shirts should be educated on the court therefore a grey shirt should be refing with a green shirt. If we don't develop our green shirts, in 10 years we will have no ref's which means no games. BASA needs to step in and put clear and concise guidelines down for refs. 1. if there is abuse, tell the coach of the offending team who it is and remove them. 2. If 1 doesn't happen then stop the game. 3. Get the court supervisor and don't start the game again until they are removed. Problem solved. If it is documented by the team in 2 circumstances for the season the association gets fine and heavily. This will make every President come down hard on them. Let the association deal with them. If they can't get it across then report, tribunal and banning.

Secondly, the parents that do this are repeat offenders and some of them have a very bad reputation. Some teams cringe when they have to play them in the round. Therefore BASA know these individuals as well and they should have people out monitoring them. Just my thoughts!

Reply #586679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another opinion but Green shirt or Grey shirt, if they're young and refereeing on a Saturday morning they are still learning.

The Grey shirt doesn't automatically make a 13 year old into a refereeing expert or professional. It just means hey, I'm ready to deal with coaches seeking feedback.

That is the ONLY difference.

As someone said above if you want better referees, more oversight, more education then be prepared to pay $20 a game for your child to play. Because that's what it would cost.

Reply #586685 | Report this post

At The Game  
Years ago

I think people should know the actual facts before commenting.
1. There was no abuse what so ever hurled towards any umpire that day as the umpiring wasn't that bad.
2. The walk out was purely making a point against a certain individual who started to dictate the game. They intimidate umpires, coordinators and players, they continue to do so and continue to get away with it.
3. The Green shirts are generally kids and learning. They have to start somewhere, however I do think they need to be umpiring with a qualified umpire to guide and teach them as the go.

Reply #586690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its Under 10's basketball.
You get kids who are learning to referee. You dont get Under 18 Division 1 quality referees. Maybe let the kids play rather than yelling out FOUL FOUL FOUL or STOP THE CLOCK, CLOCK CLOCK CLOCK.

It's under 10 basketball. It's not an NBA championship.

Point 2 is written through 1 eye as that was not the case at all.

Reply #586693 | Report this post

At the game  
Years ago

Point 2 is actually agreed by from evey other club in under 10's, let me assure you of that!
Yes the spectators need to keep certain comments to themselves, and let's hope they do for the kids sake.

Reply #586700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if this was a protest against a coach dictating the game what type of message does that send your players. It's OK to walk out on a game if you're not happy with something? The coach and parents need to let their kids play and leave their ego's at the door.

The coach and club need to control the parents as the same parents keep having issues. They take it way to serious even so one parent takes their 8/9 year old child's stats on an ipad for god sake.

Reply #586725 | Report this post

At the game  
Years ago

Anonymous, the parents have nothing to do with it so again, I suggest you get your facts correct before shooting your mouth off!
It was about protecting umpires and players from being dictated and intimidated,that is all!!
Let me tell you, the player's were keen to leave AS A TEAM,because they had been through that crap before when half of them left in tears!

Reply #586732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the week before when a parent/spectator got ejected?? Yep no issues here??

Reply #586735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Clearly issues here and how can this situation even arise.
Abuse / bullying form the side lines and nothing in place in this day and age. Shame, shame,shame as Derryn would say.

Reply #586737 | Report this post

At the game  
Years ago

Yes at Forrestville a spectator did get ejected but only after he asked his sister in law (scorer) the foul count and a particular opposition scorer told him to, and I quote 'Grow the F up'...again, retaliator always gets punished huh?????

Reply #586739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So a spectator asked a question and got abused?
Is the foul count not on the scoreboard?

Reply #586743 | Report this post

At the game  
Years ago

Correct, he actually asked the foul count for the second half.I assume because the total foul count was so much to so little she was getting defensive.

Reply #586756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And? Why do people always expect the foul count to be near equal. Maybe the other team foul more. It can be as simple as that.

Reply #586757 | Report this post

At the game  
Years ago

Quite true. It was only a question out of curiosity I guess.

Reply #586765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents/spectators are not allowed to talk to people on the score table as they are part of the officiating team for the game.

The parent ejected was apparently an embarrassment, he went at the umps all game and then at the umpiring supervisor following saying they cost them the game, laughable considering a 20 point win.

Every team gets their turn at a high foul count, especially when you're talking of u10 basketball. Get over it parents, take a deep breath and think whether it's worth your child watching you carrying on like a lunatic!

Reply #586767 | Report this post

At the game  
Years ago

Apparently that's exactly how it went down, apparently!

Reply #586770 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

The blame lies wholly and solely with the Coach.

The values and conduct displayed and demanded by the Coach are followed by team and supporters.

It is NOT acceptable for ANY parents to be remonstrating with officials or supervisors despite perceived poor performance.

It is up to the Coach to make that protest in a dignified matter.It is also up to that Coach to let the parents know when to pull their heads in.

I've been involved in Coaching 10's now for 5 years and some of the poor sportsmanship and conduct still astounds me.

Set a good example on behalf of the Club, the kids need positive role models.

Reply #586857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its yes and no with the coach having responsibility. Yes in terms of on court behaviour and questioning the officials in a respectful manner and also being the role model that the kids should look to. If the coach is behaving like an absolute lunatic then that's unacceptable and should be addressed.
Some parents are a lost cause though, no matter how a coach can tell them to calm down they still wont change their spots. If anything I've seen where a coach has tried to calm a parent down and its inflamed the situation, pouring more petrol on the fire. As mentioned before these parents should be fully banned from courtside and the club officials should be the ones enforcing this instead of the poor old coach. If they decide to continue their behaviour, unfortunately maybe for the kid but the best way is to just get rid of them. If they club hop and keep up the same behaviour then hopefully they might get a clue and shut up for their kids sake.

Reply #586884 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

so it still boils down to the Coach, with backing of the Club

A coach should immediately take that child out of the program until the parent can control his or herself. If they are not agreeable to those term then they need to leave the Club .

Fairly simple rules for all to follow and abide by.

If the Coach or Club don't demand those standards then it's anarchy.

U10's is all about developing a love and respect of the game, not W's.

Unfortunately idiots think it's the other way round.

Reply #586888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

itsUN10s.................my god what will they be like by the time they get to UN18s.............think the parents and children need to take up a different sport.............chess maybe as their are no coaches or umpires to deal with and no team mates to compete against

absolutely disgraceful

Reply #586892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cat, yes I agree with those actions, however some clubs I believe will continue to give too many chances. Had a couple of kids get some techs a couple of weeks ago, not in under 10s. One I thought was a bit soft and politely asked the ref after the game what it was about, he said the kid had been given warnings during the game about talking and questioning calls so the last one he teched him up. I agreed with him, just said that I wish he had told me during the game so I could have taken control of the situation before it came to that. He agreed and said if there was a problem with my teams behaviour he would talk directly to me. As mentioned in previous posts there needs to be someone looking after games that get out of control when especially there are green shirts, call the coaches in, have a talk, hear any concerns and for that game hopefully it gets better control. The best refs will at least explain why they made the call even if you don't agree, but theres communication.
After the game I gave the kids a lecture that from now on tech fouls for undisciplined behaviour is not on and if it continued there would be consequences. Like you its more about getting these kids to play the right way, if they get a bad call get over it, in this game there were plenty on both sides.
As for parents, unfortunately its not confined to basketball, the clubs just need to take a stand on repeated bad behaviour, maybe each year parents need to sign a code of conduct, that way if they breach it they can be shown the door.

Reply #586957 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:44 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754