ME
Years ago

NBL All Aus/China tour 30 million viewers.

Well, apparently the tour was a pretty big deal in China:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/nbls-tour-of-china-reached-30-million-viewers-as-larry-kestelman-continues-to-expand-links-in-asia/news-story/93b11686fd1ddd385d37cc718d792c23

Topic #39364 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

That's why it's worth chasing China!

The other big thing to come out of that is there is no ongoing deal with Fox, the NBL is currently in negotiations with them.

Reply #587242 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

You'd imagine the negotiations with Fox have everything to do with monies and how much it may cost Fox or LKG and of course with scheduling, we have the whipping boy in Townsville out which means that someone else will get the Wednesday - Thursday games.

I can't imagine the discussions will be overly heavy about the commentators, by the time season starts people will have forgotten troubles of Hammer and D-Ruck and when we hear them commentate we are bound be rejoice not having 'I told ya so' Homicide commentating.

I also think that 19 rounds was a good length with hopefully more games when more teams coming in and the option to move it up toros D 23 if they so choose.

Reply #587244 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think the negotiations are likely to be the X's and O's rather than "will you broadcast us for another year?"

They're probably looking at things like scheduling, and whether to show every game live. A promising sign is that they bothered to show the NBL All-Australian series. The NBL also held up their end of the bargain by bringing in a Brisbane team.

Reply #587245 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, I think there'll be coverage, but how much?

Reply #587248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to the 5 year every game live deal with Fox?

Reply #587253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What happened to the 5 year every game live deal with Fox?"

Exactly, looks like they opted out of it and are now forcing the NBL to re-negotiate from a point of weakness. It was predicted this time last year when we got back in bed with Fox it's what they've done to us in the past when they see you coming cap in hand they make you dance for that supper and sink the boot in on the way out.

We be dancin.

Reply #587260 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Not necessarily. From the beginning they said that the deal would be reconsidered after the first year. The NBL is not at all in weakness, from what I can see. They've just shown that they can extend their own viewer base and have added Brisbane into the fray. The NBL will be on Fox Sports next year, I am very sure.

Reply #587267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got no doubt the NBL will be back on Fox next season that's my point they know the NBL have got no where else to go.

The interesting part will be if it's every game again and/or they start making the NBL pay for the coverage. Keep in mind Fox aren't paying a cent for the TV rights.

Reply #587269 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

The NBL will no doubt be on TV next season im guessing the talks are about $$

Reply #587276 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon #587523 and #587260 - the answer is, exactly what was said would happen to it when it was announced.

First line of last year's media release announcing the deal:

"The National Basketball League and FOX SPORTS today announced a five-year partnership to broadcast all games of the NBL live in High Definition; to be reviewed at the end of the 2015/16 season."

If you choose to see the return of a Brisbane team and signing of players like McCarron, Newley, Randle and Lisch (last two as re-signings) as weakening the NBL's position, then I'm glad you're not negotiating with Fox on their behalf.

Reply #587322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox need the local summer content so it will be aired. The question is will the NBL gain any tractio non being remunerated for rights. I doubt it.

Reply #587436 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:12 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754