Smith
Years ago

Big Nate considering a return to Cairns

Liam Santamariaā€¸ @liam_santa
Sources: Nate Jawai met with @CairnsTaipans over a number of days last week. Jawai strongly considering a return to CNS to reunite w/ Fearne

Would be great for the fans in Cairns to have a legit game changer like Jawai back.

Topic #39375 | Report this topic

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

I wouldn't call Jawai a legit game changer, maybe if he was fit, however in his condition, considering the money that he'd come most likely come at, I don't see why anyone would want him.

Unless his fitness improves you're only going to get 15-20 minutes out of him, and that's not that great. No huge loss for Perth or Melbourne however not a bad pickup for Cairns, especially considering I've heard that he's a fan favourite up there?

Reply #587357 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Whilst it feels like not a huge loss for Perth, I think it would be a massive gain for Cairns due to his relationship with Fearhe and there are other intangibles that I like.

Jawai gets double teamed a lot, is an excellent passer and if that leaves Weigh open then that should be money. Gliddon, Wortho and Loughton are competent 3 point shooter as well so I think that helps.

People are jumping the gun a bit in suggesting that Jawai will be the same size in October, that is another 4 and a bit months away so I hope regardless who he suits for, that he can drop a good 20kgs

Reply #587358 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

He's a game changer. Whilst Damo was clearly the best player in the GF series, Jawai wasn't far behind. He's unguardable straight up for any big in the NBL and is near impossible to keep off the boards due to his size.

Reply #587360 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Nates a game changer if u can get him to the game he needs to change.

He worked wonders for the wildcats because they were able to nurse him to the finals. I don't think cairns will have that luxury.

Reply #587361 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

if anyone can get Nate in shape Fearne will....as long as it's physically possible!!

Reply #587362 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Half court, slow pace will suit him perfectly.

Reply #587364 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

^^and that ;)

Reply #587367 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

that is another 4 and a bit months away
Could've said the same thing at any point in the last x years.

Interesting x factor if you can justify the cost (exorbitant in Perth), but must be frustrating given the potential. At his best, he takes pride in his passing, no one can hold him out of the paint, and he can fire up a crowd with dunks.

Reply #587368 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

People constantly think his ability is limited by just his attitude and forget his medicals.

Reply #587369 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nate had a huge impact last season, he changes every game he's in because every opposition changes their defensive plans for him and that creates openings for teammates. Will be a massive boost for whoever signs him, even more so if they can improve his fitness even a small bit over last year.

Reply #587373 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Jawai strongly considering a return to CNS to reunite w/ FearneROFL
Just laugh at this, much like how supposedly Lisch returned to the Hawks because he had some kind of umbilical connection to Bevo.
Oh yeah, and Knight & Damo were gonna walk out for the same reason.

If Jawai goes to Cairns, it will be because of family (and because they scraped together enough money.)

Wherever he ends up, you need to have the right team around him. He's not magically going to change shape, so realistically you'll get 20 minutes and you need a good backup and guys that can cover his deficiencies.
Perth used him excellently this season, and could do so again with Brandt as backup.

But yeah, within that zone, he's unstoppable.

Reply #587375 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Without being disrespectful, is the Cairns option only really coming about because a lack of interest from other teams?

He is a very good player.

But obviously, you have to balance it all up against minutes played, asking price and overall health.

Reply #587378 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No.

Reply #587379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play 20 mins a game, pay him 1/2 what he wants.

Reply #587385 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

Dazz, I don't think you have any idea of the relationship he and Fearne have.

Cairns' isn't the only place he has family either.

If he comes here it won't be for the money.

As for his endurance, not many NBL big men play 30mins. Jawai avg'd 20 minutes last year overall, and in the second half of the season 26. He pretty much played just as much as anyone else (especially when you consider Perth's depth at 4/5).

(Burston avg'd 18 minutes, Knight 25, AJ 28, Kickert 28)

Reply #587386 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Cue the "Boris Diaw Clause"

i.e. Bonuses based on making a certain weight at certain points of the season ;)

Reply #587387 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I concur with Podge.

Reply #587388 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha given the kilos he'll just sweat out during summer here, that's easy money MACDUB!

Reply #587390 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #587392 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha solid gold :)

Reply #587411 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dazz, I don't think you have any idea of the relationship he and Fearne have.
Yeah, and people keep saying exactly the same thing about Bevo. How's that working out for the Hawks? Lisch lasted a season, and the others with the supposedly magic relationship are staying in Perth.

Nate is now a Dad, that DOES change your perspective on things. Often the missus is looking for support from Grandma and Aunties, you start thinking about where you want your kids to grow up, etc, etc. That's all wrapped up in "family" and its why FNQ would be attractive to Nate. (That said, I don't know where his missus is from?)

I didn't say he would go to Cairns for the money. I said they would need to find the money to pay him a decent salary. If he's driven by family, he may well accept a lower package than elsewhere, but he can't afford to play for peanuts. He'd be well aware that he's approaching the twilight of his career and needs to build his nest egg.

Also not sure you understand minutes in the NBL.
In a 40 minute game with only 5 games on the court, the difference between a start who can play 20 minutes and one who can play 25 is MASSIVE.

Overall my point is simply that you need the right team around him to get the most from Jawai. (And yes, you could say the same about many players.)

Reply #587453 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Might be an idea to zip it when it comes to the Lisch/Bevo's situation. You clearly aren't privy to what took place.

Reply #587455 | Report this post

Anoneemoose  
Years ago

Dazz has his agenda and won't let the truth get in the way of it.

Bevo = bad
Wildcats = perfect
Anyone wanting to make any money off the Wildcats ever over all of eternity = go and die.

I may have missed some out.

Reply #587459 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nate/Fearne is completely different to Bevo/Lisch, who came together as professional coach and player. Fearne and Nate's relationship goes well beyond that, as does Nate's connection to the Far North.

Reply #587460 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

Dazz you know maths isn't my strong suit :) but the point i was making is that Jawai wasn't playing dramatically less time (by the second half of the season) than most other star centres in the league.

You're spot on that he certainly can't afford to play for peanuts, he's got a family to support after all. He'll get paid well wherever he goes, other teams will just have to offer more $$ to match the value Nate puts into playing here.

The relationship with Fearne and Nate goes beyond player and coach, mentor and mentee.

We'll see how the cookie crumbles, on court i'm confident he'll have a big impact, but off the court is where he'll have the biggest impact. Having a local ATSI player of his profile, playing on his home court will be great for the indigi communities around Cairns. Having a hero is great, having a hero you can actually watch live and who visits your school - that shit can be life changing.

Reply #587467 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Podge, you are absolutely correct. It will be a huge thing for Cairns and all the outlying communities for Nate to be back. Everyone else's concerns about his fitness aside, my question is how do the Taipans go defending other teams with a 4/5 rotation of Wortho (in his last year), Loughton (well past his best, and most likely in his second last season, if he can go one more beyond this year), Nate and Tragardh (whom I love and respect, but is not renowned as a great athlete)?
That's not exactly a mobile bunch. Wortho is the only perimeter defender worth rating of the lot, and as I mentioned, he's no spring chicken.
If the 'pans take on Nate, they need to recruit a young, mobile, defensicely minded 4/5 to help the old men out with their walking frames! :D

Reply #587846 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:42 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754