Dana
Years ago

Recent Boomers Opponents- Lithuania

Below is a translated transcript from the Lithuanian men's basketball foundation about the recent tournament played in China.
I mentioned in an earlier post about keeping things in perspective about the Boomers winning in Perth.

This might be of interest to some of you who wonder what gets written over in Lithuania. (or not?)

Valdemaras Chomicius: "Passion for game compensated the lack of experience"
One of the Lithuanian National Basketball Team coaches can already be proud. Chomicius and his team that consisted mostly of newcomers to national squad have won the First B.Stankovic Continental Champions Cup. On Tuesday (08 02) coach came back to Lithuania with trophy and three players who will join the rest of players that are preparing for Eurobasket 2005. The rest of the team moved to Australia. There Lithuanians will participate in Four Nation tournament.
N.team.lt has interviewed Valdemaras Chomicius soon before he left Lithuanian seaside Palanga where National team is recently practising.
-Coach, the results you have achieved with your team are really great. Can you say the same about basketball the team was playing?
-Let's be honest, team that was playing in China consisted of players who decided to spend their vacation playing basketball, representing Lithuania instead of lying on the beach. Moreover, these players are not key players in their clubs.
But none of them has let me down. We went to China without full course of practice and only one week we had to learn how to play defence and offence, but players' desire to compete have filled the gaps that were arising when we played.
Team was getting better each day, even though in first tournament we were struggling, but at the end we won all three games. After second tournament in Charbin, we felt lack of physical fitness and couple days of rest before B.Stankovic cup helped us a lot.

- Which players have impressed you the most?
-I had little information about Martynas Andriukaitis. I knew that he played in BC "Alytus", was member of "Zalgiris" for a short time, but I had no up to date information how he was doing in France where his club is. In China he showed very solid performance (Andriukaitis was named B.Stankovic cup MVP). He played very powerful basketball, was getting rebounds and always was aggressive even though it was obvious that he was tired.
Mindaugas Lukauskis also showed excellent performance. He was not afraid to take control in decisive moments of the game. Pavelas Ciukinas was great in defence and blocking the opponents.
Nevertheless it was obvious that these players need more playing experience. They should play more.
-Your opponents were N.Zeland National Team, Argentina, China. Teams that even main Lithuanian team have problems beating. In your opinion, teams you were playing were weak, or your team was very strong?
-It should be pointed out that all matches we played were very close games. I would say that we had good coaching staff. Together with my colleagues Kestutis Kemzura and Linas Salkus we defined very clear goal - to win as many games as possible.

photo: LTU coaches in China, from the left Valdemaras Chomicius, Kestutis Kemzura, Linas Salkus
This clear knowledge of what we are playing for I think was helping our players to focus during decisive moments of the game. Players played with big heart each game and that's what helped us to get through difficult situations.

-Three players have come back with you to continue practice with main National team players. What was reasoning to choose exactly those players?
-Vidas Ginevicius needs to go through physical fitness course. Practices with Aleksandras Kosauskas in charge should be useful to him. He as well as Simonas Serapinas and Saulius Kuzminskas are needed to ensure the number of players for practices to go on full scale.
When the team comes from Australia I'm going to suggest to put Mindaugas Lukauskis, Martynas Andriukaitis and Giedrius Gustas to National team candidates list.
-What is our general opinion about idea launch National team B?
-If it was up to me, I would like to have more than two National teams and let it participate in different tournaments. I think we have enough players for more than two teams. In tournament in China I could test the players from different points of view. We could see their capacity, psychological strength, ability to stay fit during long period of time, how time difference is affecting them and many other things. It was very useful for coaches and I think players as well.
On the other hand, we could see if some of players can be invited to National team in nearest future. What are their disadvantages, what should they improve. So at the end I should say that experiment was a success.

Topic #3938 | Report this topic

Dana  
Years ago

Here is their report on the loss to Australia in Perth.
(Sorry for the spelling and translation but I think that's what happens when you click the EN button on a Lithuanian language article.)
Lithuania lost in Australia

Lithuania national team consisting mainly of players who play in Lithuanian clubs continues participation in tournaments. This week Lithuania takes part in Four Nation Cup in Australia. In the opening round of the 4-Nations Tournament, Lithuanians lost to host team 66 - 71.

It was close game in first two periods. After the first quarter Lithuania was trailing by 2 points 16:18. At the begining of second period Australians started exerting a little more pressure on the offensive end, pushing their lead out to ten points, before the Lithuanians pulled the deficit back to finish the quarter only two behind 32:34.

Lithuania took the lead early in the third quarter and Australia pulled it back through some great hustle down both ends of the floor. The lead changed again however, with Australia unable to connect on their shots, scoring only 13 points for the period, and the Lithuanians were four points ahead at the final break, 51:47.

CJ Bruton tied it up for the Aussies (62:62) with just less than four minutes to play, sinking two of his three free throws and then following that up with a huge three-pointer.

Bruton was again the hero in the closing stages; with 34 seconds on the clock he sank another huge three to push the lead just out of reach of the Europeans, the Australians taking the match by five points, 71:66.

"We were a bit anxious tonight," Boomers coach Brian Goorjian said after the game. "We hadn't prepared for some of the tactics they threw at us early in the game."

"I can say that our players are tired psychologically. We have played a lot of games this month. On desive moments of the match, psychological exostion becomes physical. We fighted hard but lost at the end", - Lithuanian coach Kestutis Kemzura said after the game.

Mindaugas Lukauskis kept the Lithuanians in the match with 18 points, 9 rebounds and four assists throughout the match.

Pavelas Cukinas was the enforcer under the basket for Lithuania. Providing a solid wall inside for the Aussies to contend with. He finished the match with five points and three blocks.

In the evening's first match, New Zealand soundly defeated China 90-70.

The 4-Nations Tournament continues on Wednesday night at Challenge Stadium with New Zealand taking on Lithuania at 6pm and the Boomers looking to defeat the Chinese at 8pm.

The teams move on to Sydney on Thursday and will play the resi mortgage 4-Nations Tournament on Friday and Sunday, 12 and 14 of August at the Sydney Entertainment Centre. The team with the best record over the four matches in Perth and Sydney will take out the event and will be presented with the inaugural 4-Nations trophy.

Lithuania top scorers:

Mindaugas Lukauskis 18, Giedrius Gustas 8, Martynas Andriukatis 8.

Australia top scorers:

Mark Worthington 17, CJ Bruton 15, Glen Saville 12, David Andersen 9.

Reply #45878 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Here's the writeup about the game against New Zealand.

Second straight loss for Lithuania

4-Nations Tournament continued in Perth, Australia on Wednesday night, with a capacity crowd enjoying more great international basketball between the New Zealand and Lithuania.
New Zealand took the win, 79-62, in a physical match that didn't produce a clear winner until the final term.

Lithuanians got out to an early lead in the first quarter, going into the first break down 16-11.

The Lithuanians were able to keep the Kiwis guessing in the early stages of the match, mixing up their defensive sets.

Martynas Andriukaitis was tough inside for the Lithuanians, with six points and two rebounds in the first period. New Zealand's woes were not through lack of options to score; they put up 21 shots and were successful on only 24 percent of them, sinking just five.

The second quarter belonged to Lithuanian powerhouse, Pavelas Cukinas, who scored 11 points, pulled in three rebounds, blocked one shot and generally caused havoc for the New Zealanders inside the keyway. Pero Cameron was also strong in the second period. He had eight points, including two three pointers in the term to keep New Zealand in touch with the Europeans.

The scoreline read 37-34 in favour of the Lithuanians at the long break.

New Zealand rallied after the halftime break after some stern words from coach Tab Baldwin in the rooms. Phill Jones heeded the coach's call and came out firing, scoring 11 points in the third term.

That helped New Zealand catch the Europeans and pass them by; posting a three-point lead by the final break, 58-55.

The fourth period started slowly, with both teams struggling to score. The emphasis of both teams seemed to be physical defence with plenty of tough body action. New Zealand's Dillon Boucher copped an elbow to the jaw, which caused some tension between the teams, but after he converted the two free throws, awarded for the technical foul, the game was back on track.

New Zealand found their range before the Lithuanians late in the final term, pushing their lead out to 15 points with two minutes to go. They managed ride their momentum into the final stages, taking the win 79 -62.

Tadas Klimavicius and Pavelas Cukinas led Lithuanian scorers with 13 points each. Martynas Andriukaitis added 10 points. Klimavicius got 10 rebounds. Cukinas also was great on rebounds as he got 8. Mindaugas Lukauskis made 8 assists.

Kiwis were led by Phill Jones with 19 points and Pero Cameron with 15 points.

Tommerow team will have a day off. On Friday they will move to Sydney and continue there. Lithuanian opponent will be China team with Jonas Kazlauskas in charge.

Reply #45879 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Why does Pero Cameron seem to play better in international games with the Tall Blacks then he does here in the NBL......

That sound almost like "why did the man cross the road" joke.....

Reply #45933 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:45 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754