Dazz
Years ago

The "Third" Import.

I kinda like LeManis' approach. He's said that he'll probably aim for only two imports, and keep the 3rd slot as insurance. As he says, if you need to replace a starter due to injury, its much easier to source an import of the required type.

The Cats have said that they will hold off on the 3rd import in case Jawai doesn't re-sign. So again, a type of insurance. Just not as extreme as Lemanis.
If Jawai does re-sign, it would be interesting to see how they use the 3rd slot. Could be that its a bench player. Not a completely uncommon occurrence, and probably one we will see more of with 3 slots.

Topic #39384 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If JaWai does re-sign I hope we keep the 3rd import spot up our sleeves like LeManis. Some old bodies on the roster so an insurance policy is good if you can work it that way. Having the ability to replace a key player who goes down mid season with someone like HaRrington or WaRrick could be the difference between a title run and a deRailed PlaYoff CaMpaign.

Reply #587462 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Will the same rules apply though for the third import i.e. Has to play 8 games throughout the NBL season to qualify for playoffs?

Reply #587464 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I don't see why it shouldn't be the same, players are players...

Kings in the past have been blocked from bringing in an import replacement when it's been under 8 games to play, but that was different circumstances...

I like the third import being used as an insurance policy, especially withoutvthe extra team in the league this season, the local talent pool hasn't been diluted so there shouldn't be an issue filling a team with only two...

Reply #587472 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd like to see them get rid of that rule for injury replacements, with an independent medical assessment required.

Reply #587473 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Might be good to use it, not just for injury insurance but also to have a few games and then see where the team it lacking, sometimes these are things you never really know until the season starts.

Reply #587474 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

This should be called the "DUNIGAN" import.

Not only is it an injury replacement, it's also a hype machine and the answer to all player roster problems.

Reply #587475 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Lol RMQ, with a sub clause referred to as "How is Ennis going in the NBA?"

Couldn't agree more, Paul... No doubt teams will try to pull a swifty at one point or another To get out of something, but that potentially happening has screwed over teams with legit reasons to have someone come in...

Reply #587476 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

So how will this work with the committee looking at salary parity etc?

If a team saves an import spot for late in the season are they judged to have had that player for the whole season?

Reply #587480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754