Cram
Years ago

NBA Draft Lottery

Sixers win the draft lottery

Stoked that Brett Brown will finally get some talent to work with and show everyone what a great coach he is. It'll be great if they take Ben Simmons, as I think BB will be a great mentor for Simmo Jr, and BB used to coach his dad with the Melbourne Tigers Basketball back in the 90s.

Almost as important is the Lakers getting number 2. This draft is all about top 2. Lakers will get a great player and will have by far the easiest choice. They'll say whichever one they get is the one they were after all along, and won't have the pressure of potentially making the wrong choice. They'll have a nice young unit

Topic #39386 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

When does it happen?

Reply #587525 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Last week of June. After the Finals

Reply #587527 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Win-win for the Lakers.

Either way, they're going to get a very talented forward to add in with Russell, Clarkson and Randle moving forward.

If they get Ingram especially, they could have a nice 1-4 of Russell (PG), Clarkson (SG) (interchangeable and can share PG duties), Ingram (SF) and Randle (PF).

Centre is a problem position for the Lakers as Hibbert is not the answer (and especially not in today's game where foot speed and mobility at this position is essential).

Will the Lakers go after Steven Adams really hard? Would be a nice addition no doubt.

Reply #587529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do 76ers owe hinkie an apology

Get the no.1 pick draft a franchise player Simmons to join okafor, noel and have them take the franchise up the ladder was his plan all along

Just haven't landed no.1 pick in prior years and took a few risks on injury (embiid)

I hope he gets some credit in the future

They will probably call colangello the savior when things improve next season

Reply #587530 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I would hope not Macdub, there is no way I could ever support the Lakers. I would rather cut my nuts off with a set of car keys.

Reply #587531 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can't imagine Simmons wants to go to the 76ers at all.

Reply #587533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

76er's will pick Ingram.. They already have Okafor, Noel and Embid. They don't need another forward.

Reply #587536 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Ingram is the logical choice for Philly & probably actually the better player & prospect of the two....

Reply #587538 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

I expect Simmons will end up at the Lakers now, like a few people have said above.

Does anyone think that being the laker's pick at no. 2 comes with any less pressure than being no. 1 overall?

Reply #587539 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

They'll take Simmons. Fit doesn't matter when you get a chance at a great prospect. Both will be very good, but Simmons has a rare combination of talents. He'll be number one

Reply #587540 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Second pick can't really lose. Absolutely less pressure. Lakers fans on r/NBA are all very happy with locking in the second pick.

76ers have Saric stashed who is not a dissimilar player to Simmons in being a passing big.

Surprised they still haven't traded one of their centres. Maybe waiting to see how Embiid pans out before they decide? Or trading someone when their stock is highest? Embiid is yet to play and Okafor didn't have a clean rookie season.

Reply #587541 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

To be fair, yes, the 76ers are overloaded with bigs, but none of the three mentioned (Okafor, Noel and Embiid) are natural PF's.

Nerlens has said he would rather play C. Okafor has always been a natural C (HS/College etc). Embiid is a C.

Okafor only played PF last season because he was too good not to have on the pine behind Noel.

Simmons at 76ers would fit fine, because he could play big minutes at PF and some at SF.

In reality, the 76ers shouldn't have been so dump to draft 3 C's.

Reply #587542 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This is tough. I'd love Simmons to be able to avoid the expectation and pressure that comes with being #1. On the other hand I hate the Lakers so I don't want him to end up there either.
Probably not much chance he falls to #3 though! :p
So I guess I want Philly to get him. Plus, if you're gonna disappoint, better to do it in a smaller market.
I expect that Ben will become an outstanding player, I just don't think it will happen quickly enough to please many critics & fans.

Reply #587545 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Simple. Philly to trade Okafor to Lakers for number 2 pick. Then Philly draft Simmons and Ingram.

Reply #587546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingram has the edge in the 2 most important categories for long term impact at NBA level.

He can score in a variety of ways and can defend, he is also coming from a great teaching environment in Duke/Coach K and is younger.

He will be a great fit for any team, I just hope he lands with my Lakers.

If he doesn't then Simmons is a great 2nd option here, absolutely no pressure on the Lakers in this scenario but quite a bit on 76ers to get the most appropriate fit !!

Reply #587547 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Major concern with Philly is that Simmons would just "float" and "Drift" i.e. go through the motions. With very little factors or personnel to hold him to account.

1. Coming off a 10-72 W-L season

2. fan/sponsor/player expectations are low, general league expectation is low

3. they've been the worse team in the league for the past three (3) years, people aren't expecting results for a few more years.

4. Very few senior players - DOB years on roster - 95,95,94,94,93,93,92,92,91,91,91,90. (they need a KG type).

5. Embiid's situation and behaviour in 2014/2015 evidenced the lack of accountaibility. Apparently he had a bad attitude and didn't follow doctor's orders and surgeon's orders following surgery. Sound familiar? Ah yes, Bynum! Can see where he learned that from.

A lack of pressure on a rookie or rookies can be great. But it can also develop bad habits where no one holds players to account.

Okafor's behaviour suggests there is indeed factors which mean players are entirely held to account.

It's only worrying because Simmons strikes me as that kind of guy who will "drift" and "float" if he isn't pushed. He doesn't have a high natural motor. So that kind of 76ers environment could bring out the worse in him.

Reply #587549 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I really hope Simmons goes #2. Saric and Simmons seem to have a bit of cross-over position-wise, but hey, that never stopped Philly before.

Reply #587551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can always trade if log jam for positions

Take best player and sorrt out positions later imo

Just gotta decide who is better Simmons or ingram

Lakers got it easy just grab who is left

Reply #587553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't pass up on Ben Simmons because you already have Saric. You pass up on him if you think Ingram is a better prospect. Simmons is a potential superstar, if you already have Saric so be it they can either play together or you try and trade Dario, there will be suitors. For me these players are in a different class and you don't not draft a potential superstar because of it

Reply #587554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too much potential egg on the face of the 76ers DONT take Simmons and he ends up being the man for the next 15years in LA. Pick the talent then work it out. I'd be getting rid of okafor before Simmons.

Reply #587555 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

How many bigs do the 76ers need? Embied, Grant, okafar, Noel and now Simmons?They got to get a PG and some wing help. Cannan and Ish Smith are career backups so they need to get some help in the backcourt and the wings.

They should now put Noel on the market because he has a value.

Reply #587556 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If I'm Boston, I think maybe I try and trade out of the #3 and target Okafor or Russell. I reckon both could be had, and it gives LA or Philly two top-3 picks. Both have had offcourt issues but are both very talented and would most likely blossom under a less toxic environment.

Reply #587557 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Simple. Philly to trade Okafor to Lakers for number 2 pick. Then Philly draft Simmons and Ingram.
Aren't the two candidates in this draft more highly fancied than Okafor?

I put a fair bit of stock in the opinions of @haralabob and from memory he doesn't seem keen on Okafor.

Reply #587559 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd say they are, but most of that is due to off-court stuff for Okafor. He had a handful of 'incidents' last year. All the same, the Sixers are a complete trainwreck and I wonder how much of that was just the fact that a young guy who is not used to losing stepping into that situation. It could also be a serious red-flag.

Same with Russell.

Reply #587560 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

You draft the best player period. Log jam at forward can easily be fixed.

Reply #587569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

simmons is better in every category except shooting. if he can get it fixed, there's probably no position he can't play.

Reply #587573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I am the 6ers I am looking seriously at a deal of Okafor for Jimmy Butler and someone like Mirotic for Okafor. This frees the log jam for the 6ers all the while they get a great defensive wing and a very good scoring backup big off the bench and the Bulls get a legit franchise player.

Reply #587574 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Aren't the two candidates in this draft more highly fancied than Okafor?"

Admittedly I haven't seen much of Okafor playing, I was just checking his stats (17.3ppg, 8.5reb), which look pretty tidy for a rookie.

Reply #587575 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

If im philly, im trying to get this deal done:

Okafor to the celtics.
Celtics 3rd pick to Atlanta.
Jeff Teague to the 76ers.

Then draft Simmons!

You then have a great young front court in Noel, Simmons, Saric, Embiid with a solid veteran point guard in teague. Now they may be able to lure a couple of veterans to fill out the rest of the starting line up. And suddenly, they are decent.

Reply #587580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way Simmons defense is better than Ingram's !!

Reply #587585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Lakers fan who desperately hopes Simmons will end up there. He's like Della Donne & Stewart, but a man. Seriously, he is almost as good as them!

Reply #587586 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The only way Simmons goes to LA now is if he gets in one little fight and his moms gets scared

Reply #587587 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

^ bahahaha, at least will smith had a jump shot

Reply #587592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All with the opinion 76ers should pick Simmons need to come up with a trade. Offensively it's not an issue for them to pick him. But with him, Noel, and Okafor in the line up they will get torched on Defense. Who will guard the 3?

Reply #587593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ that's the likes of. Labron, KD, Mello, and Kawii, to name a few

Reply #587594 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

We don't need to do anything. The simple fact is, at the top of the draft, you take the player you feel is best and work out the fit later. They don't need to put out a championship roster this November.

Reply #587599 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jimmy Butler is only 26. Bulls would be crazy to get rid of him - he's their best player.

Reply #587600 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ten news ran the story ' aussie lotto. '

( I think two Adelaide 36ers are in the draft.
As far as I know.
Drmic and Deng. )

Reply #587601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From memory didn't Boston target Okafur during the trade period this year. I think a straight up trade for the 3rd pick would satisfy both camps, would Buddy at 3 be too high a pick. Is he the next Curry or the next Jimma/Stauskas. Either way they need to clear the logjam in the frontcourt, Okafur has some value, if Embiid comes good then Noel at PF/centre, Simmons at PF/SF and Buddy as the shooter, pick up a decent point in free agency and they may well make playoffs in the east.

Reply #587602 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754