Anonymous
Years ago

Aussie Boomers set to play farewell games in July

On SEN today Andrew Gaze mentioned that the boomers will play 2 games at Hisense in July against a touring college all star team that will be announced shortly.

https://audioboom.com/boos/4584490-andrew-gaze-on-hungry-for-sport?t=0

starts from 16:45 mark

Topic #39396 | Report this topic

Baller#3  
Years ago

College all stars... No thanks!

I would like to see a Boomers vs NBL all stars game + 1 international warm up against an actual international team, even if its one not playing in the olympics.

Reply #587633 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

better than nothing...

Reply #587635 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

I guess no one cares about the other cities?????

Reply #587636 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Sounds like it will be a college all star team of some sort. It might prove an intriguing competition for the Boomers, especially so early in preparation. It is always good to warm your team up with a few lighter reps before pushing the big weights around.

Reply #587638 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Does anyone know what the Boomers schedule is leading to the Olympics?

Reply #587640 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Boomers Schedule minus the 'farewell' games referred to in this thread:

5 July 2016: Boomers Selection Camp (10 days)
20 July 2016: Argentina Training Camp, with exhibition games against Argentina and Lithuania
26 July 2016: Brazil (Sao Paulo), 3 game exhibition tournament
1 August 2016: Arrive in Rio Olympic Games Village
5 August 2016: Rio Olympic Games commence

Lemanis and the Boomers planning on Rio gold

Reply #587642 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

So we're looking at maybe 8 lead up games all in all. Is that enough?

Reply #587643 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

College all-stars must be a joke, right?

Just 5 warmup games against decent competition, then we play the top qualifiers to start the Olympics? The players might be eyeing a medal, but BA again is a major disappointment in letting them have enough preparation to peak at the right time. Australia already has a disadvantage of only playing just one opponent in the regional qualification tournament, and that team is not even ranked in the top 20 now. It isn't just a coincidence that the Boomers routinely play poorly at the beginning of major tournaments. Boomers preparation has always been poor. New Zealand regularly arranges better overseas tours than the Boomers, a nation with just a fifth of the population of Australia.

Lemanis ought to have his team almost set already because there will be little room for experimentation.

Reply #587652 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

rjd - the Boomers start their training camp about 3 weeks after NBA playoffs are scheduled to end.

After camp they play 5 games in two weeks in South American conditions, with South American crowds. Then they arrive in Rio 4 days before the Olympics start.

I'm not sure what else BA might have been able to squeeze in there for a full strength Boomers' preparation. They presumably felt they needed to factor in time to recover for the likely Boomers' starters playing in the NBA playoffs.

In comparison, USA's full-strength team has teh same number of warm-up games, against similar strength opponent but with a longer break after NBA playoffs. They have a 1 week camp in July, starting 12 days later than the Boomers' camp. Then they play 5 warm-up games against Argentina, China (twice), Venezuela and Nigeria over 10 days. However, all of their preparatory games will be on USA soil with home crowds.

Reply #587665 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There won't be much change from the Boomers team of the past two years, these guys know each other, they know the system, they don't need a huge amount of games leading in.

Reply #587670 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yes, that is true. I am pretty sure the Olympic team will be like the world cup one + Mills and Bogut.

Reply #587672 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Fair points made there. Cheers.

Looks like Delly and Bogut will appreciate the rest.

Reply #587690 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Anyone know more information on the Argentina camp and games? Is it Buenos Aires?

I might try to go to this, or perhaps more likely the Sao Paulo series. Anyone have a schedule for those games? The stadium info?

Reply #587701 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:42 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754