Arhtung
Years ago

Sub-headings under topics!

Just wondering what people thought about the idea of having sub-headings under topics on the home page?

The list is enormous at the moment!

Topic #394 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

I like having different boards for different discussions (ie ABA Board, Social / Schhol board, NBL / WNBL Board, Boomers / Opals Board, General Board) - similair to what OzHoops has.

However, at the end of the day, this is Isaac's hobby, he has to earn money, and cant spend heaps of time writing code for us.

I for one am grateful we even have this.

Reply #2913 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Agreed Yogee!

Isaac has done enough for us to even have this site up and running.

plus with the recent post listing on the side of the screen, you have a fair idea what is going on!

Peace out! A bags!

Reply #2918 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Arhtung -- do you mean topic categories as Yogee has suggested? ABL, NBL, NBA, Local, etc?

It's definitely a possibility, but my concern is that things will still be posted in whichever is the default/most popular. Also, which should be the default?

What if I split it into 4 categories, and then showed the latest 10 threads for each in a grid fashion on the frontdoor?

Also, the frontdoor shows the latest 50-100 topics (can't remember how many exactly) -- you can use the links at the bottom to visit the full 350-400 topics.

Reply #2920 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I actually like it the way it is.

I read most (not all) threads and thus it is easy to browse through quickly.

However I can see for people who have no interest in say for example ABA a different section that they don't need to visit would be advantages.

I'm happy how it is though.

Cheers, DJ

Reply #2925 | Report this post

Archtung  
Years ago

Isaac

My thoughts re the boards:

ABA
NBL/WNBL
NBA
Juniors
Other
Maybe also include a changeable board depending on timing ie Olympics

Reply #2941 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've added a category field to each topic. These (currently) need to be manually assigned which is why almost everything is under the General tab right now.

If you hit the forum normally, you'll get everything in one place. Each tab will take you to topics that have been placed in there.

I'll set it up so that people can start topics within categories soon, but for now it's all General by default.

You can see that in the tabbed area, I've already run out of space, so we might have to combine a few. Maybe combining NBA and Olympics to "World"? But that won't cover people wanting to just chat about non-basketball Olympic events and matters.

All suggestions welcome.

Already Sixers and NBL have been combined to "NBL".

Reply #2970 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also added a Popular tab which gives you the most read topics (which is why it isn't ordered by most replies). The read count was added a couple of weeks ago which is why the Popular list is dominated by recent topics.

There are a couple of issues with the links that take you to further pages of topics if you're not in the raw front mode, but I'll try to take a look at those later.

Reply #2973 | Report this post

Archtung  
Years ago

Isaac

Looks great, thanks for doing this. As you have suggested those posting new discussions should assign the sub-heading - maybe drop down box. Spread the workload away from yourself.

Cheers

Reply #2990 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Will try to find some time to do that later.

Reply #2991 | Report this post

BetyLeadfoot  
Years ago

I like the general section of the site. With OzHoops I always go to the one forum area and so have a very filtered expeience. My fault I know. Here I have browsed the frontdoor and read other threads that I probably wouldn't read normally. I have added them to my areas of interest as a result of this. Keep the frondoor like it is displaying the most recent 50 - 100 threads and the recent posts on the side. Any more than this then let people use the categories.

Your site works in Mozilla Firefox version 8 - 9. The new look Sixers site doesn't. So I do not visit their any where near as often as I used too. It is not a boycott on my behalf but their links menu does not display and I do not like the updated postage stamp in the middle of the screen layout. They should support my browser it is not too hard. Maybe the designers did win awards but not for me.

Thenks for the good work and support of basket ball in SA.

Reply #2993 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, thanks to everyone else! 500 posts in the last week means that this site has been more popular in this last week than any other period -- and to think that the ABL season has finished and we haven't even got into the NBL season!

Reply #2997 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:34 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754