Anonymous
Years ago

Etiquette: slapping a player on the bum

Does anyone remember when this used to happen regularly as a gesture of encouragement or support to a teammate? These days it doesn't happen anymore and I'm curious as to why. Is it just the general political correctness escalation where everyone is extremely careful of their actions in case they offend someone?

Topic #39409 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I have seen it at the pro levels with some older coaches on TV but it doesn't seem to be the 'done thing' any more over here. I am kind of glad for that. I never used to do the slapping, but I found we had an old coach who used to do it. It made me slightly uncomfortable. I have known the coach for a while and I know there was nothing weird behind it, but it's not something I support.

Reply #587768 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Haha great thread. Thinking about it, can't say I've been butt slapped while playing for a while.
I usually do a side thigh tap with the back of my hand following a well done fist bump or fore arm five.
I think it's the closest I'd get to slapping another mans ass without it being weird haha

Reply #587769 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A pat on the back is quite OK, leave the slapping of the bum to soccer players and wedding planners called Serge

Reply #587771 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Nate Jawai is a frequent practitioner of the butt slap, nothing weird about that.

Reply #587775 | Report this post

andrewbprice  
Years ago

Here's a good one from the NBL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBwgBHmXhGU

Reply #587780 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

The bum slap is a sacred hallmark of the game and should be preserved no matter what. Change from 12 to 10 minutes quarters, change the distance for hte 3 point line, add in 3 second rules and what not, but don't touch the bum slap.

The bum slap is basketball.

#SaveTheBumSlap

Reply #587788 | Report this post

bane187  
Years ago

This has never gone down well in my mixed basketball league although I continue to persist with it.

Reply #587791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Hopoate ruined it for everyone.

Reply #587805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls like bane187 are precisely the reason I don't play mixed basketball. Felt like i was in a nightclub at times

Reply #587812 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

bane ,you were going well until you included the opposition players in the festivities

an umpire running away from you is not a signal to continue bum slapping her either

Reply #587823 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

This reared its head at our practice on Thursday. One of our rookies objected to a bum tap from a team mate, calling him a "f&*^ing weirdo"
We soon set him straight.
Kids these days. Wonder how he's going to handle the nudie run at the end of the season?

Reply #588034 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Etiquette or appropriateness, depends on the make up of the team. Obviously not a huge issue for adults or kids the same age who are the same gender and know each other very well, but where it becomes awkward, even embarrassing I suggest is where ages are in disparity and the slipper is not so known by the slappie.

When coaching I have always stuck to the gentle head rub and middle back tap, but never the butt slap, to be fair, never seen it appropriate in that case, but player to player is a different story, no issue in the appropriate circumstances.

In these days of extreme political correctness however, you get that look after you do a butt slap and you continue where it isn't accepted, be warned...

Reply #588102 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...slappper... Not slipper

Reply #588103 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:20 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754