Isaac
Years ago

Melbourne United re-sign Dave Barlow

"I'm really excited to have signed on again with the Club," Barlow said. “I’m really looking forward to being involved with Dean [Demopoulos] and the team and everything the club is doing.

“I really can’t wait to start playing after what feels like forever on the sideline.”
Prior to his injury in 2015 he played most of the 2014/15 NBL season averaging 9ppg and 3.7 rebounds.
How did he look in the games against China?

Topic #39417 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

He seemed to be moving well and he had his moments. Knocked a couple of big shots down late in, I think, the third game. But I think his ceiling these days is an impact player off of the bench. I still worry about his overall basketball IQ and decision making, especially when handling the ball or having to create for others.

Reply #587878 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

A good role player. One of the more athletic and long Australian small forwards you'll come across. He never quite lived up to his potential, but United would be happy to have him coming off the bench

Reply #587879 | Report this post

Bowtie  
Years ago

Worry about his IQ...And he's been an Olympian?

Reply #587890 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Don't talk to me about Barlow and his basketball smarts in the Boomers. Time and again we have been burned by crucial turnovers by Barlow in international competition which I have never forgiven him for.

In particular, I vividly recall the game against Greece at Japan World Champs 2006 (Barlow turnover in last seconds for Greece dagger from the corner) or two critical turnovers against the US in Beijing when the game was still there to be won.

Ok, maybe I should let go. But yes, I maintain he has terrible handles and poor basketball IQ.

Reply #587895 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I'm still dirty on that turnover in that Greece game too XY. Terrible decision making.

He has been a serviceable Boomer since and had a good career but he has never had as much rope given to him as he had on court that tournament, and for good reason too. Not really his fault however, he was put in a role that didn't suit his skillset. Goorjian was rebuilding the program and the depth we enjoy today wasn't there yet, so it's one of those things, and from what I understand he was pretty cut up over it.

Still a sgood signing for Melbourne, if the 36ers had him I'd be pleased.

Reply #587912 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He had his pocket picked from behind against Greece. Goorjian should have had a time-out loaded up so there was no danger of such a turnover, something he admitted after the game.

Reply #587933 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

You are too kind Paul. Barlow perhaps shouldn't have been put in the position to be receiving that ball, but the turnover itself was embarrassingly amateurish.

Reply #587936 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You are correct, he should never have been in that situation at such an important moment. But people on here are making it out like a brain fade, where my recollection is he was trying to race down the court to attempt a game winner when The ball got knocked away from behind. Is my memory fading with age?

Reply #587943 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Maybe my memory is deceiving me too, but I remember it different to you Paul.

I felt a bit bad posting the above, while true he has been a good Boomer and it was only one mistake done while he was in his early 20s. He has been very good for the Boomers overall, and that team overachieved to be in that spot versus a Greek group that handed a Coach K lead USA team with Lebron and Wade a beating not long after.

Reply #587952 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I managed to find it below (not that I really wanted to see it again!). Barlow had loose handles and probably a little optimistic trying to get where he did, but wasn't really a brainfade.

Rewind to the play before with the Boomers up three and watch Bogut leave Fotsis wide open on the arc while guarding no one in the paint. Ugh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c85il3PW98

Reply #587953 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I would thank you for finding that gem Paul, but watching that again brought back too many crushing memories.

We never should have lost that game (during regulation at the very least).

Reply #587955 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Can anyone confirm or deny the rumour that Dexter Kernich-Drew is going to play for Melbourne?

He trained with the Cats last season, although he is from Melbourne, and I understand he was returning to play for Waverly. He was too old to be a DP last season, and so would remain so even with the increased age-limit.
I would have thought MU's roster was close to full at this point?

Reply #588231 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:54 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754