ShooterTip
Years ago

Change shooting mechanics or not?

I have an under 16 player who shoots the ball in a unusual way but it is still quite effective. I wouldn't say it is extremely unorthodox. He also gets the shot off quick enough. He has played since under 12's. Today at training he was attempting to shoot it in a more normal fashion and not looking very comfortable in doing it (Perhaps with more repetition he would become comfortable with it or maybe not).

His ceiling is probably a div 1 player in under 18's.

Do you think I should encourage him to continue to change his shot to a more normal fashion or should I let the player continue to shoot it his normal way?

Topic #39429 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well if he gets the shot up quickly, and if it isn't being blocked, I don't see the problem. There are some pretty ugly looking strokes that have featured in the NBL and NBA. As long as the shooting action is accurate, economical, and not a liability, I say let him fling it up whichever way suits him.

Reply #588128 | Report this post

Joe_M  
Years ago

As long as he has space between the ball and his palm (should be able to pit your finger between the ball and your palm).

His fingers (thumb to pinky) are spread out across the same line of the ball and his wrist is vertical, he can leave his shooting action how it is.

If it goes in and has quick release, he will be fine.

Reply #588129 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I have seen many people who could shoot, coaches at a district level don't like the mechanics, so look to change it. All of them can't shoot now. Key is, go with what is comfortable and effective.

Reply #588132 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I personally think shooting is about 3 things:
Practice,
Practice
and more Practice.

Doesn't matter whether its Basketball or some other sport, people who want to sell books or even just popularise their blogs, always push techniques, methodologies, or even gimmicks as the solution.

If a kid has somehow picked up a weird action, that is causing problems and/or injury. Or is trying to mimic something they see a star do, then step in. But if they're comfortable and it works, just let them keep practising.

Reply #588133 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

he has had this technique for 4 yrs, and is "going ok" You have stated his ceiling is 2 more yrs of juniors.

you have not stated his position or pts per game av. Is there a huge upside to his game with a better shooting technique? I think it is too late to change him. Let him go with what he has.

Reply #588141 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

We're not talking about a kid who shoots free throws while standing side on to the basket are we?

Reply #588143 | Report this post

ShooterTip  
Years ago

Thank you all for your input. I think I will encourage him to go with his old ways.

Joe_M he catches the ball with his shooting hand not vertical on the ball but as he follows through he adjust but then continues through in a twisting motion. Closest shooter I could match it to would be Shawn Marion's.

anon he is a point guard. I don't think there is a huge upside to improving it and in fact he could end up a worse shooter. I guess as a coach I wanted to hear peoples input on should we be trying to correct poor technique or just let them play if they are still shooting well. I guess it depends on their age group as well, perhaps under 10's-14's correct but 16's don't correct.

Southern Joe no. That would definitely need changing I think

Reply #588216 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

from the additional info provided, and his position as a point, time would be much better spent on other skills, than correcting his shooting action.

Reply #588217 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

We're not talking about a kid who shoots free throws while standing side on to the basket are we?
Obviously my undistinguished high-school career is no basis for judgement, but I was always much better with my right shoulder forward.
I'd say it possibly gave me a little less "lateral" accuracy, but at the same time I was much less likely to randomly jerk it one way or the other.
Guys that would shoot double-handed, even off the dibble, always amazed me, I was just never that coordinated.

It can simply be a case of making the most of what you have. I was never going to become even a gifted amateur, much less a pro. Way too slow and uncoordinated to be a guard, and ultimately not tall enough to be a forward (despite being one of the tallest in school.) Kids with better fundamentals were presumably better off learning to shoot "correctly" as they could master it. I was much better being heavily right-hand dominant.

Reply #588226 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I personally think shooting is about 3 things:
Practice,
Practice
and more Practice.

Doesn't matter whether its Basketball or some other sport, people who want to sell books or even just popularise their blogs, always push techniques, methodologies, or even gimmicks as the solution.
This is rubbish.

I used to get up plenty of shots a day. Averaged around 60-70% from the line, was an okay-but-not-great three-point shooter with range no greater than just beyond the arc.

Bought some shooting DVDs, became a great three-point shooter with range out to almost the centre circle, and the ability to routinely knock down 95/100 free-throws.

I wasn't spending any more time on it, but I was doing it properly.

Understanding your mechanics is important, too. It's less helpful if the ball just happens to go in most times and you don't truly understand why. Harder to get out of a shooting slump, harder to adjust your shots for situations where perfect technique isn't possible.

Reply #588233 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Dazz.... the kid I'm talking about actually stands side on to the basket.... ie.. instead of his feet being square to the basket.... his feet are at 90 degrees and twists his torso to face the basket.

Reply #588240 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:16 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754