Isaac
Years ago

NBL announces Australian National Pro Combine

The National Basketball League in conjunction with W Sports & Media is proud to announce the hosting of the inaugural Australian National Pro Combine on 20 - 21 June 2016 at the State Basketball Centre in Melbourne.

This historic Combine will provide Australia's most promising up and coming basketball players an opportunity to impress coaches in attendance from NBL clubs and other leading basketball identities and SEABL basketball clubs.

This unique and first of its kind event in Australia will see players compete in live games and promote their talents to Australia’s best coaches along with being tested by leading sport scientists on their athletic and physical capabilities.
Registrations are now open through the official website for the Combine – www.wsportsandmedia.com.au/australian-national-pro-combine and close 11 June 2016.
Full announcement

Even if the majority of the work is external, I worry that the NBL is spreading itself too thin when it needs to be consolidating and making the core (clubs and regular season) financially stable.

Topic #39467 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't really see the point of this from the players perspective, if you're good enough for NBL or SEABL level teams will find you. So this sounds like it will be benefiting 'W Sports & Media' and hangers on more than anything.

Reply #588675 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I agree with Zodiac. I don't know who they expect to find. The difference between NBA draft combine and this is that the NBA knows there will be many from the combine who will make the league. The ones going to this NBL combine aren't in the league because their performances simply haven't warranted it. It is a huge waste of time and effort.

Reply #588678 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At NBA level, they have 15ish man rosters plus players in the D-League and stashed in Europe.

In the NBL, you have your 11, some development players and that's about it. Maybe some x-factor type players get discovered, but almost always the best will stand out playing through junior ranks, national championships, college, etc.

Reply #588680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not all players get picked up through junior development programs, sometimes because they grow late and develop late and at times the old mates network can get a fringe player always miss out.
While I agree we should concentrate on getting the Nbl going I believe the concept is a good idea and does no harm.

Reply #588682 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It does no harm if it doesn't spend money and resources which would be better suited elsewhere.

Reply #588684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OLd news. Already a topic.

Reply #588686 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I think supporting this with a press release is not going to stretch the NBL's resources too much, Isaac. My reading is that's all they're doing.

Reply #588687 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

A plus for me is the fact it appears SEABL and NBL is working together on something and it provides an opportunity for a young kid to showcase what he has at a very high level.

I don't see the problem here, if they can work together and it provides another avenue for local talent, I am all for it...

Reply #588731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings had an open try out yesterday I believe.

Reply #588782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very interesting as there aren't really any spots available anyway. Although on the surface it sounds good, and is sounds like another initiative that the NBL are supporting, it looks suspiciously like the American style 'meat market' money makers.

Who will ultimately gain from this? At $200 a head, and 80 kids, that's 16k.

What are the overheads? court space and 80 t-shirts? I'm sure the host and the coaches will be taken care of.

I feel it is good to have team based tryouts locally for NBL spots, especially when you are talking 11th man/DP spots anyway.

This year, we lost a team, and so far have three new Australian league rookies in McCarron, Deng and Drmic, plus the third import spot.
Now before people get up in arms saying that there is an 11th man spot, that's really a glorified DP as they will rarely if ever hit the court.

Reply #588848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate my participated in the Kings tryout he said there was 20 or so players all of which were state league level players.

Reply #588855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

PeterJohn, I think there'd be a little bit more than that, but even then all these small bits and pieces add up. Every spare moment should be focused on the items I mentioned. Unless it's going to get bums on seats and sponsors in, I'm not sure they can afford to worry about it.

Reply #588857 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754