Years ago

WA SBL:

Trian Illiadis
Gavin Field
Kevin Davis
Kyle Armour
Tre Nicholls
Michael Vigor

Couple of names that could provide in some capacity at NBL level.

Reply #588738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Field and Vigor both had their shot at NBL with the Wildcats. Vigor is to short and not athletic enough for the 4/5 spot. Field would be a SG/SF and isn't strong enough to guard that position. Both have NBL ready offense.

Always thought Trian deserved a look. Armour had some experience at the Kings, too small unfortunately.

There are plenty of imports similar to Davis, if an NBL team is looking for length and no offense they can get someone bigger (e.g. Gladness)

Chudier Pal could get some interest from the Wildcats after this season in the WA SBL.

Coburn and Pesava are good up and comers that might get some DP attention next year.

Reply #588745 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Clearly you havent stood next to Vigor of late. He appears to have gotten even taller.

If you need athleticism to be a dominant 4 man then i guess you think Matt Knight is an average Joe?

I think Pal is very over rated. He is just a very big body & his skills still require some serious honing.

Reply #588758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah - I have. Vigs is very long for his height, which helps him, but if you want to be a 6"8 6"9 4/5 in the NBL you need a bit of athleticism/body size to get you there.

Matt Knight is a good comparison, similar style of game. Very very different body types, Knight is listed 110kg and is probably more.

Be great if he got another NBL look, but it would have to be a full contract?

Reply #588761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with you on Pal - but he has potential. He has the frame already and half decent post footwork. And he hasn't been given a chance yet.

Reply #588762 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Agree.

Time will tell and it just depends if teams feel like they can fill a void at the time.

Would be nice if NBL sides looked a little harder at some WA guys as the talent is there.

And nice to have a discussion without someones knickers getting in a knot! :)

Reply #588772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True!

I for one was very keen to see Gav Field get an NBL look, his offence would easily fit the NBL. However I can see where he would defensively struggle against the Ennis/Prather type SF.

Reply #588773 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Kyle Armour also had plenty of opportunities with the Kings & never made the grade.

Reply #588841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Auryn McMillan and NBL should never be mentioned in the same sentence. he had his shot anyway.

Reply #588846 | Report this post

Ed  
Years ago

Jock Perry any chance?

Reply #588847 | Report this post

Anoneemoose  
Years ago

I think that Field has really gotten the short end of the straw with the Cats, they seem hell bent on Vague as the next WA guy so have perpetuated a myth that Gav isn't strong enough or quick enough to play NBL.

He has managed quite fine so far versus Imports and good athletes. He would have an adjustment period at NBL level, but most Aussie players do.

Vigor has developed and matured a LOT since his last stint at the Redbacks. He looks a lot more patient and athletic now. Less whining to refs, more focus on D. He's worth a look for sure.

Agree on Armour, he's had his chances. Not a pure PG and too short to be an effective scorer. He also has issues with physical D being played, it flusters him.

Trian has had offers from memory but turned them down. I may be wrong there, perhaps he has it too good here to take the chance?

Pal is raw but is a very big body that loves to rebound. I think he's also still not 100% from an injury, so he may still have more to show. Definitely one to look at too.

Any thoughts on the following?

Bennie Lewis
Earnest Ross

Reply #588851 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754