MACDUB
Years ago

Marcel Jones to United

Just when you thought they couldn't get anymorr stacked.

Fantastic pick up. 6'8" SF/PF. Great all round talent with a pretty nice professional playing history.

Still frustrated he wasn't included in the Tall Blacks plans.

Topic #39473 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB and Mystro - any thoughts on Cowels' ANBL potential? He seems keen to play here. 25 PPG in NZ.

Reply #588707 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

He is a helluva player. One of the best imports i've seen in the NZNBL. 6"4 pure SG with a deadly jumper, long arms, exceptional on defense. Scorer's mentality. Extremely effective in on-ball situations.

I was at the game where he got a steal with 4 seconds to go, took the ball the length of the court and had a game-winning dunk. Crazy.

No brainer for a 3rd import spot as far as i'm concerned and i don't think he'd command any sort of money. You could get him cheap.

Reply #588715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess what concerns me about someone like Cowells is although he is averaging 25.7 ppg in the NZ league someone like Devendorf is 2nd ppg in the league with 25.3 ppg. In his very short stint with the Tigers back in 2010/11 he averaged 14.6 ppg across his 18 games and from memory didnt have a great impact. If he is going to be a 3rd import you would want to get Cowells at a budget basement price.

Reply #588721 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Yeah what Macdub said, be a great bang for buck signing and wouldn't be out of his depth.

Reply #588723 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Acknowledge your point Anon.

In differing the two i would say:

1. Cowells is an exceptional defender whereas Devendorf wasn't/isn't. You're getting a legit 2 way player so if he may only average 15ppg you know your also getting production on the other end;

2. I'd take 14.8ppg from a third import on cheap coin anyday of the week. AFAIK, thats Cowells position/description - cheap and used as 3rd import.

3. Devendorf was injured when he came to the Tigers and i think that showed. He look limited.

Reply #588734 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

How does Marcel Jones turn into some guy Cowels?

Reply #588743 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

If Marcel Jones is going to Melbourne United, that can only mean that Boti Nagy is wrong (it happens, apparently) and David Andersen has not been signed.

They only have one roster spot available (it is for a big forward), so it will be interesting to see how the Andersen deal fell through, if it was ever on the table.

Reply #588748 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Freethrows, I think someone on their list might not end up playing there next season. Could be that Jones is replacing someone else.

Reply #588756 | Report this post

Big Country  
Years ago

I'd expect either Odigie and/or Patton would be sent to the practice squad (on full pay). Like Corletto was a few seasons back.

Reply #588757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patton has been cut

1 Todd Blanchfield Contracted (Signed 2 Year Deal in 2015)
2 Chris Goulding Re-Signed (2 Year Deal)
3 Igor Hadziomerovic Contracted (Signed 2 Year Deal in 2015)
4 Owen Odigie Contracted (Signed 2 Year Deal in 2015)
5 Nate Tomlinson Contracted (Signed 2 Year Deal in 2015)
6 Majok Majok Contracted (Signed 2 Year Deal in 2015)
7 Cedric Jackson * New Signing (2 Year Deal) via New Zealand Breakers
8 David Barlow Re-Signed (2 Year Deal)
9 Tai Wesley New Signing (2 Year Deal) via New Zealand Breakers
10 David Andersen Confirmed to be in talks with Melbourne (via ASVEL Basket)
11 Chris Patton (released) was contracted for 2 years in 2015 but was released May 6th, 2016

Reply #588760 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Thunder Jam - ive wanted to mention Cowells on here for ages but didn't think it warranted a standalone thread. This seemed like an opportunity.

Reply #588763 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Yep. Patton is gone for sure, in all the MUTD club videos he is nowhere to be seen. We are still lacking a big legit centre

Reply #588775 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If you can land Andersen, between him and Majok, you'll have it covered.
If not, you've still got two(?) import spots left...

Reply #588791 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Anderson is a stretch 4 IMO, him and Wesley have quite a similar game but obviously Wesley is nowhere near the level of Anderson. Correct, Marcel is a NZ resident supposedly

Reply #588792 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jones' record isn't particularly impressive for an NBL recruit.

Reply #588806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ agree seems a strange fit for the team as well.

Reply #588808 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure Jackson & Barlow are both only 1 year deals.

No where in Jackson's signing press release did it say how many years he had signed for which rule of thumb usually means one and Barlow's did specify a 1 year deal.

Odigie was only signed again halfway through last season as injury cover for Igor.

Reply #588814 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LV, is Patton's? Seems like that's who he's replacing.

Reply #588836 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Fair point if true.

Based on his resume he's obviously a lot better than Patton. Different type of player but a lot better.

Reply #588853 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:20 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754